Story Poster
Photo by Chris McEniry, www.chrismceniry.com
Texas A&M Football

Aggie Flashback with former A&M running back Greg Hill

April 16, 2013

Key quotes from Greg Hill interview:

"I am no longer doing radio. I wish I was still on the air. I decided to retire because I have a 12-year-old son and a 15-year-old daughter."

"I really like this [current] team... but all the boys behind Ben Malena may never get to see the field because the offense is designed around the quarter back."

"Johnny Manziel is a phenomenal guy, but remember that this time last year, he wasn't even the starter."

"Johnny was in the right place at the right time. He was the right leader to lead this team."

"The team did wonderfully well. It was a fairy tale season that hasn't happened to A&M in a long time."

"My ]NCAA record [most rushing yards in a freshman debut] is kinda special.... if you don't do it the first time you take the field, you missed your opportunity. You get one shot."

"I wasn't even the starter for that game at the beginning of that week [when I set the record]... but I ended up starting."

"I really just wanted to get a 100 yards, but the Lord blessed me to not only get 100, but 212."

"I have always been kind of flashy and 'show-boaty'. Coming out of the tunnel at Kyle Field for the first time, I could feel the electricity."

"I had a great time at A&M. When I think back on it... I am 41 years old... the best time of my life was in college"

"The best way to look at my time at A&M is that I played with a lot of guys that refused to lose."

"We had great coaches that pushed us to give everything we have for our university."

"Texas A&M is a special place... playing for A&M, it's almost like a drug. We couldn't get enough of it."

"For whatever reason... I hated the University of Texas. I wanted them to remember me every time we played them."

"Texas A&M was something that I have never been exposed to. It was all about the comfort and the warmth. I knew it was a genuine place."

"I had always, growing up, followed Darren Lewis."

"Darren Lewis didn't have any physical say in me going to A&M, but because we went to all the same schools growing up, I wanted to follow him. I wanted to beat him at every level."

"It was not a tough decision for me to stay in the state of Texas."

"I don't drink, I don't smoke. I don't even drink coffee. Never had it, never will."

"There are so many choices you can make in your life. Making the choice to take care of your body is something I've held true to."

"It was always Darren Lewis that I have aspired to be like in my own life... I couldn't believe [he failed his drug test]."

"I grew up extremely poor. [Lewis] had made it out of that. I couldn't understand what desire was so strong that would make someone mess up every thing you had dreamed of every day of your life."

"[Due to my football injuries] I have a head ache, all day every day."

"I have to work out to try to keep the pain away."

"Even though it feels like I have a lot of big problems, I always say I am going to talk to my problems and tell them how big my God is."

"God made me different. It's a blessing to be a child of God."

"At this point, I am a full-grown boy dog... I don't dwell on my problems that I have. I'm fine. I don't complain about it."

"If I had to do [college] again, I would be swinging a baseball bat. I would be on Olsen Field instead of Kyle Field."

"A&M is about honor, character, and integrity. A&M screams those values on a daily basis."

"When I broke NCAA rules and got A&M in trouble, I was a young man and made a mistake."

"I wanted to make sure that if I ever had a second chance, I would want A&M fans to know how much I loved the school. I wanted to be a great Aggie."

"Your attitude determines your altitude. I live by that now. It was so humbling to know that A&M forgave me. It was a wonderful experience."
Discussion from...

Greg Hill exclusive...

21,185 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by OXDL45
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Flashback with former A&M running back Greg Hill
Gabe Bock
AG
Big thanks to Kayce for the massive amount of live note taking that she did for this interview! Great job!
PharmD4
AG
Great stuff
B-money
AG
Really good interview
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
sbs
AG
awesome interview.
Kentatm
holy crap that was powerful stuff.

powerbiscuit
There's nothing else Aggie related that compares to these spots and your radio show.

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 4/16/2013 9:21p).]
RhodeAg
AG
Absolutely remarkable interview...best I've heard yet by a long shot. Greg is a personality.
AggieTFA06
AG
enjoyed listening to the story about his recruiting visit to tu

To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
redjalapeno-87
Its Greg Hill time! Enjoyed watching his career. He is one of the greats. Inspiring story of how he chose his path, learned from his mistakes, and overcomes his obstacles. Glad he's an Aggie.
Gabe Bock
AG
Powerbiscuit (and all of you) ... thank you!
Maroon_Liquid
What an interview. Wow! Great Stuff Gabe!
TKMorris
Another home run! Enjoyed it.
89Ag4Ever
AG
Wow! Incredible stuff guys. All the best for Greg Hill.
Jack Cheese
AG
GHT!! I saw him at the SMU game this past year. He is 41 and looks like he could step on the field and dominate today. Amazing. He made us all forget about Darren Lewis when he stepped on the field and showed how he could cut.
OXDL45
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.