Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Letter to the Leadership of Texas A&M regarding the Bevel

229,208 Views | 1720 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BartInLA
Old Main
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Between September 2012 and March 2013 the following letter was sent to the leadership of Texas A&M. I don't know how any Aggie can read this letter in its entirety and decide that the beveled logo is our very best option as our primary mark. Our logo is vitally important – it is the fundamental building block of our branding and marketing program. The Classic Block aTm captures the essence of our image in its simplest and purest form. Continuing to use the beveled logo doesn't make it less flawed or any more acceptable. Names and contact information in this letter have been obscured for privacy; the content is what is most important. For cell phone users the letter will probably be easier to read here... http://nobevel.com Anyone who wants the pdf version of this letter (with functioning links) send me a PM with your email address or email me at greg@marooned.biz.

Obviously I realize that I am about to get crucified by the Bevel Huggers on this forum. I took a ton of criticism back in June of 2010 when I was part of a very small group that began the grass roots campaign for our move to the SEC. In the early months of the SECede movement I was ridiculed beyond belief for thinking that Texas A&M would even get an invitation to the SEC. Even if we did get an invitation we would not be allowed to leave, etc., etc., etc... I was called names in PMs and emails that I can't repeat on this forum.

I think that intelligent debate on TexAgs is what we should all strive for. I've never understood how disagreements turn into criticism and outright ugliness. I know there are Bevel Huggers here, but at least tell me what is so great about the Bevel. I honestly don't understand why some of you like the Bevel. Don't just say that it is awesome and then criticize the anti-bevel crowd. This is not a sound argument for keeping the Bevel.

My argument starts here...

For those having issues reading some of the finer print the letter is displayed in a larger format at http://nobevel.com. You can also download the letter there as well.http://nobevel.com/LetterToLeadership.pdf

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 6/15/2013 8:37p).]
89Ag4Ever
AG
tl;dr

Bevel sucks.

It's here to stay.

/EOT
sawemoff2010
AG
Have you gotten any reply whatsoever?
Old Main
AG
Yes, but mainly just to say that they are looking into the issue. All of the primary leaders that need to see this letter have confirmed that they received it.

I just saw this Student Senate Bill Sunday evening on a Google search.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1T77vlSiiyoJ:senate.tamu.edu/sites/default/files/S.B.%252065-72%2520De-Bevelization%2520Representation%2520Bill.docx+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here is the Student Senate website
http://senate.tamu.edu

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 7/10/2013 12:20p).]
Slother93
AG
Nearly impossible to read the text on an iPhone since I can't zoom in enough to make out the text clearly.

But, loved the graphic of the Tennessee logo with a bevel! Show absurdity with more absurdity!

The bevel must DIE!
Old Main
AG
Slother93,

I'm not sure how to make the photos larger. When I increase the size of the photos in photobucket they still display the same size on this forum. I converted pdf files into jpgs if that has anything to do with it.

[Added 4-16-13] For those having difficulty reading the text size above here is the larger display version from http://nobevel.com.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 4/16/2013 7:14p).]
pinche gringo
AG
Old Main,
You have presented a very well-thought-out, complete, reasonable, and persuasive argument for improving our university's symbol over the mess we currently have.
You have done an excellent job of articulating the issues that a very large and ever growing number Aggies, including many that have never posted on or even visited this website, have with the beveled T.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why our university continues to push this on us. I am proud of the monumental changes our leadership has made within the past two years. Although this is not a "100 year" decision in and of itself, it most certainly goes hand-in-hand with the major moves that have been made. We are exposing everything that is great about our beloved Texas A&M to the world unlike ever before, and it is deeply disturbing and downright infuriating that the flawed logo is plastered all over what everyone sees. We have moved mountains to make so many changes for the better recently, but we somehow haven't yet managed to correct our flawed logo, which should be one of the simplist issues to address!
This is not an issue of TexAgs btching and moaning over trivial things like orange water coolers and waffle houses. This is our symbol-our brand- that represents us to the nation and world, who are getting to know us like never before. How can we expect to be taken seriously if we continue to use a flawed, inferior design to represent us?
I'm not looking to argue or throw insults at anyone here who disagrees. However if anyone can come up with a good reasonable, solid case for keeping the beveled T, I would love to hear it.

I know, I know... tl;dr

[This message has been edited by pinche gringo (edited 4/13/2013 4:32a).]

[This message has been edited by pinche gringo (edited 4/13/2013 4:34a).]
pinche gringo
AG
Slother, try clicking on the pictures and opening the link. I was able to zoom in enough to read it.
AusAg32
AG
Juan. TL, great read!
silverwings97
AG
I support your message. FWIW.
AggieSureShot
Burnsey
AG
Page 1
agman08
I've read the letter and studied the pictures. I fully support this. I like your options 100x better
CPES_AG
Down with Jason cook and the bevel goes away
West Point Aggie
AG
3:35AM...wow!!!!
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
Down with Jason cook and the bevel goes away

The bevel was here before Jason, and it probably won't change now that Jason has slid over to athletics.
WaffleHouseAg
AG
Tldr
JJxvi
AG
in before "I got us going to the SEC"....aww, dammit!

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 4/13/2013 7:43a).]
The Chicken Ranch
AG
And please put TEXAS AGGIES back in the end zones.
exp
AG
I support this message.
Paradise Ag
VA_Ag94
AG
quote:
Have you gotten any reply whatsoever?

I'm sure it was "too many words, did not read"
Capt. Augustus McCrae
Malamute
Malamute
Ragnar Danneskjold
this guy on the internet wroe a letter to the university saying "I know what's good for the university". What intoxicating vanity and arrogance. Good lord, get over yourself.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/13/2013 8:43a).]
BQ87
HBCanine08
AG
Drunk texagging
rocky the dog
AG
For what it's worth, I have worked closely with Old Main on the graphics and offered suggestions on his presentation. At the same time, I have written letters to Dr. Loftin and Mike Slive explaining why this beveled disaster makes A&M and the SEC look stupid. I received no replies. Either they don't care or they don't get it.

I would suggest to all of you who dislike the bevel to write letters until they get sick of the whole mess and restore our traditional block-aTm.
slider676
AG
quote:
this guy on the internet wroe a letter to the university saying "I know what's good for the university". What intoxicating vanity and arrogance. Good lord, get over yourself.

At 3:30 AM on a Saturday too.
Crawdaddy
AG
Lolz @ "The leadership".

Also:

quote:
makes A&M and the SEC look stupid.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure were the only ones who obsess about this/even care what our logo looks like.
Ian Neff
AG
I never really cared about the bevel. Frankly I see having three letters as our logo as a real challenge to deal with.

After reading the OP's treatise, I am now decidedly against the bevel.

I am sure you are all very glad to know that.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
I've read the letter and studied the pictures. I fully support this. I like your options 100x better

This. It's funny that you used the coke logo. I used the same argument with someone the other day.

Your position, your logic, and your method are all superb. Blue Parachute. POTY.

Old Main for president!!!!!
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Lolz @ "The leadership".

Also:

quote:
makes A&M and the SEC look stupid.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure were the only ones who obsess about this/even care what our logo looks like.

Far be it from me, a Texas Aggie, to care what the logo of my great institution looks like. Damn, I am sorry for caring so much.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:

[This message has been edited by Ragnar Danneskjold (edited 4/13/2013 8:43a).]

We will have to agree to disagree on this one man. He's right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.