Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Sound Off: National names on the legend of Johnny Football

November 30, 2012

Johnny Manziel … what they're saying

Here's a look back at what recent guests on TexAgs Radio have said on the show about the A&M quarterback and Heisman front-runner:

Joe Namath, former Alabama and New York Jets quarterback…
"Johnny makes a lot of things happen with some kind of innate ability to know when to move where and how to move where. I'm amazed. He is a freshman, isn't he? Wow … (laughing). The kind of poise that he's shown for a freshman is pretty remarkable.

"When you look at those tapes of a quarterback like Johnny, and there aren't many like Johnny, it really challenges the defense to play every bit as disciplined as they possibly can. It's just downright difficult to cover a scrambler. And Johnny not only throws from the pocket, but he's an outstanding scrambler and he's quick."

Doug Flutie, former NFL quarterback and 1984 Heisman winner…
"[Manziel] is a really special player. I love watching him play, primarily because he reminds me so much of myself in some of the things that he does. It's his feel for the game. It's how relaxed he is on the field. Now, he can run flat-out faster than I ever could. He can take it 80 yards and is just a blast to watch.

He reminds me of a gambler that I saw once in Vegas, sitting at the table, running the table and doing whatever he wanted to do … like he knows the next card that is going to come up or what the dice is going to say. - Kellen Winslow {"Module":"quote","Alignment":"right","Quote":"He reminds me of a gambler that I saw once in Vegas, sitting at the table, running the table and doing whatever he wanted to do … like he knows the next card that is going to come up or what the dice is going to say.","Author":"Kellen Winslow"}
"Don't underestimate the fact that he can stand in the pocket and throw the ball. He reads coverage well. He sees blitz reads. The ball is out of his hands when it has to be. And then when he doesn't like something, he moves around and buys time, and can hit the big play or take off."

Kellen Winslow, former Missouri and San Diego Chargers tight end…
"He reminds me of a gambler that I saw once in Vegas, sitting at the table, running the table and doing whatever he wanted to do … like he knows the next card that is going to come up or what the dice is going to say.

"There's an awareness about him that is rare for his age. I think we should check his birth certificate. I think he might be 26 or 27. There's just a presence about him that you don't think about him as a freshman because he doesn't make freshman mistakes."

Dan Rather, legendary news anchor and Sam Houston State alum…
"What a quarterback. And to realize that he's just a redshirt freshman, frankly, I think he deserves the Heisman. Johnny Football … what a story out of Kerrville, Texas. I can't say enough about him. He doesn’t seem to get too high on the highs or too low on the lows, and his game management skills are tremendous."

Sam Montgomery, LSU defensive end…
"A lot of people wondering why I like Johnny Football and why this defensive end is all hyped up on Johnny Football. It's not because we beat them. It's not because they beat Alabama. But people [need to] understand that you have to respect talent [of this magnitude]. This kid came from the Big 12, jumped in to the SEC and has had a dominant season? He deserves some kind of award. Heck, if I get an award, I'll give it to him.

"Heisman … give it to him."

Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M head coach…
"If you put Johnny's numbers up against anybody in a single season — not just this year, but any year and anybody who has ever played the game — they speak for themselves. And I think the voters are going to recognize that.

"It doesn't matter what year you are when you're talking about [these] types of numbers. And you put that in perspective with the league that we're playing in. The combination of those two things tell you all you need to know about [how to] vote. - Kevin Sumlin {"Module":"quote","Alignment":"right","Quote":"\"It doesn\u0027t matter what year you are when you\u0027re talking about [these] types of numbers. And you put that in perspective with the league that we\u0027re playing in. The combination of those two things tell you all you need to know about [how to] vote.","Author":"Kevin Sumlin"}
"It doesn't matter what year you ar, when you're talking about [these] types of numbers. And you put that in perspective with the league that we're playing in. The combination of those two things tell you all you need to know about [how to] vote."

George Whitfield, quarterback guru and Manziel's passing instructor…
"I'm excited for him. He is who I thought he was. He's doing a heck of a job. He's aggressive and he's attacking, and he [already] is [becoming] who he's going to be. Johnny and I talk weekly and he is always very clear and concise on his role and what [A&M Offensive Coordinator Kliff] Kingsbury is trying to do.

"He's still young and a good part of his game is still instinctive. From a quarterback evolution standpoint, he's still awfully young. Right now, you're seeing him out there making plays and attacking what he's seeing."

"Does Johnny deserve the Heisman? Yes. The Heisman Trophy is for the most exciting, impacting, talented player in college football. I don't know why that has to be a career achieving award. When you look at the overall story of the Aggies this year — a Big 12 school moving into the SEC, a first-year head coach and offensive coordinator, a first-year quarterback who is 19-years-old — they have had two tough losses to two top five teams within a touchdown in both games, and then they went in and knocked off the Roman Army in Rome.

"And it's all led by a really dynamic, fully-attacking, young quarterback who I refer to as a dragon-slayer. I do think he should be in New York and get the opportunity [to win the Heisman]."

Bucky Richardson, former A&M quarterback…
"He can throw it. If you look at what he did in high school, it's the same kind of offense that he's been running for a long time. He's comfortable in this style and he's obviously excelling at a rate that, for a freshman, is impressive. The way he's handled the emotional side of it all [is amazing].

"Coach Sumlin has said a few times, 'No moment is too big for him.' That's very true. He's just an amazing player."

Kevin Murray, former A&M quarterback…
“Wow. He's an exciting little rascal … that's for sure. Unorthodox? Yes, absolutely. But the maturation of the kid has been incredible. Kliff [Kingsbury] has done a great job of eliminating the pee-wee knucklehead plays that he had a tendency to make early on in the season. He has done a better job of playing within the offense in the past few weeks, and that speaks to his evolution from the beginning of the year.

"As long as he continues to improve, the sky is the limit for the kid."
Discussion from...

19,518 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by AggieSunrise
TexAgs Studios
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Gabe Bock
AG
Great video, Clay!
sbs
AG
Another great Texags video!
mesocosm
bluebolt09
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Excellent.
p8aggie
AG
Great video
JAC97
AG
Awesome!
tbirdspur2010
ScottyMo
AG
Very nice.
Sgt Awesome
sleepybeagle
AG
I love the "unstaged" Heisman pose! Can you believe this might happen?
1stGenAg15
skiag
queso_ag
Old Main
AG
Excellent! Everyone needs to be getting this out in the social media.
bigtex33
Kellen Winslow said it best. It's like Johnny has the ability to see what the defense is going to do before it even happens. Such an amazing talent.
Dr. Mike 69
AG
The fact that Johnny is a freshman (athletically) makes his accomplishments that much more remarkable. He played in 39 quarters (not complete quarters at that), leaving 11 quarters (nearly three full games) that he was a spectator on the bench. Had he played all 48 quarters, can you imagine what his number would have been like? I'm sorry, but there is no other NCAA Division I player who even comes close. Manti Te'o is a great defensive player, but his stats aren't even close to the best in the nation. Any voter who is honest has to vote for Manziel.
LatinAggie1997
AggieFox
I did a quick comparison the stats of Manti Te'o and those of Dat Nguyen......Manti's stats are not up to Dat level. I'm not even sure Manti's name would be mentioned if he attended school anywhere other than Notre Dame (no disrespect intended)
AggieDusty
AG
Give it to him.
rscrash87
Good Job...... Again!!
DelValAg
I was hoping that SOMEONE would beat nd just so you guys could get a shot at them in a bowl game......
Go JFF!!!
ccf57arl
DelValAg

Maybe TAMU should have an NCAA Super Bowl after the College NC is determined. We play ND, winner awarded the Heisman, if the committee has doubts. No disrespect to those voting, but this AG and most of America views Manziel as "light years" ahead of the his closest competitor. Former Heisman winners, ESPN, Yahoo "must see" video, the blizzard sweeping America about him, everybody now knows him.

Too, the playoff in College FB cannot get here quick enough. TAMU would beat any team in America as of now, with Manziel at QB. Just ask Alabama!! Our two losses were early and we are 16 yards out from the goal in the LSU game from playing ND for the NC this year.
CT 89
AG
Has someone captured that Heisman pose at the end? Awesome!!!

Founders of Tradition - Keepers of the Spirit
Mantis Toboggan MD
aircav
AggieSunrise
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.