Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

how many of you guys were at Puryear ?

22,637 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hot Corner
ArbAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgDotCom said:

Puryear Ramp 9.

Were any of you in Sbisa the first evening it was open for dinner fall semester '78.....when the food fight happened?

The movie Animal House (which featured the infamous food fight in the cafeteria) was released a month or two prior. The popular movie was talked about all summer and you just knew something was about to go down at Sbisa. You could feel the electricity in the air that evening. Who was going to be the fool to start it was the only question, and the tension was high. Then someone blinked, burped or farted and it was on. It seemed like a dozen or more from the DG table reacted quickly at once and we couldn't tell who started it, though we weren't innocent either and quickly joined in. Chaos ensued.

It didn't last long, though. A&M admin were smarter than we thought and suspected the same. They had 2-3 personnel stationed around Sbisa, but they likely hadn't expected so many students to be involved in the fight. I remember Ron Blatchley from student affairs coming up from behind a guy and grabbing him by the arm as he stood up and cocked it back to launch a chicken wing or drumstick. Everything stopped and went dead silent at that instant except for a handful of spinach which had already taken flight from 50-60 feet away and was airborne before it hit the chicken wing thrower in the chest while Blatchley had a hold of his arm.
Indeed, those were the days --- good times and awesome memories although I was in Walton in the fall of '78 and later on in Aston. Some of the food fights were epic in Sbisa until the administration (Jack Williams) cracked down on us. Always remember constantly hearing "Smoke on the Water" ringing out toward Northgate on our walk overs to the Chicken (for beer, pool and foosball) and Church Street (beer drinking on sidewalk near Robert Earl's front porch). We also had some epic Thursday nights at the Lakeview Club on Tabor Road - Dennis Ivey and Wayman never failed to entertain.
isitjustme
AG
I used to walk through the Law-Puryear quad from the MSC and yell either FUP or ESL as I exited the quad just so I could hear y'alls' windows burst open and the beginning of a yell fest between the two. Would laugh all the way back to Moses. Good times!!
GenericAggie
AG
Which years? I was ramp 6 as well. 86-88.
HoustonKid
Moore Hall Truckers
Bad Mother F*ckers
Best Damn Dorm on Campus...the rest were imitators.

'83.
HoustonKid
My brother was there. Suspended him for the rest of the semester. My parents were pissed but I was amused. I did not think he had it in him.
BOZO
AG
Junction camp - summer 69
Leggett - fall 69 -- then moved to Fowler
thebubbaisin
AG
InfantryAg said:

We used to have a reunion for all the Old Ags from Puryear every year. That should happen during one of the game weekends. I would make the trip.

ESL
Some of us '96 Playboys get together at one of our classmates tailgate most years. I'm positive we could make it happen for all Puryear alums. Are you on the Puryear Facebook page? Maybe pick a good game weekend and post it there to get the ball rolling.

Pooh Ah!

ESL
thebubbaisin
AG
MDShaw said:

DHey Ags! Matt Shaw '93, walked in '95. RA at Puryear! RAMP 9.

Always looking for some of my former classmates.
Hit me up!! I live in the Woodlands and am always traveling all over Texas.

ESL!
F The Wrecking Ball!
Did you room w a frick named Jamie in 92/93?
NCAG
AG
Ramp 6 from Fall 84 to Spring 87. Great times.

Tell Puryear stories to my daughters all the time. Flouring rooms on first floor, piling bikes in front of Law ramp doors, setting up the Ramp 7 RA's room in the quad. The list goes on. As HumpitPuryear mentioned, we test dropped a bowling ball from third floor because we wanted to know what it was made of. It culminated in dropping it on a friend's bike and a TV. Would have won Frick Olympics but had to blow in front of YMCA on the last lap. I did feel sorry for those on the 1st floor outside rooms. Made it easier when they moved the lounge to Ramp 6.
NCAG '88 ESL / IYACYAS
BVAg85
AG
I lived in ramp 7 in 81 - 82. The room was painted a bright, ugly green. What I remember most was no air conditioning. Spent most of my time in the MSC or off campus with friends.
MidTnAg
AG
Law Hall, summer 1960. - don't remember ramp. Roommate Moofy May, brilliant -- PhD in Chemical Engineering and later a vascular surgeon.
InfantryAg
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

Quote:

Infantry,

I was at Puryear 93-94 in Ramp 1 across the hall from Mark and Big Dave. Weren't Stu and Neil (silver pots) down your way? Perhaps a little further in Ramp 7.

Were you a Letterhead our frick year? I still have our green Puryear frick shirt.

I wasn't a letterhead and only lived there my pisshead year. Great year but I had get my alcohol under control.

I thought Stu and Neil were in ramp 4. I still occasionally hang out with Stu's roommate, Chuck.
InfantryAg
AG
thebubbaisin said:

Quote:

Some of us '96 Playboys get together at one of our classmates tailgate most years. I'm positive we could make it happen for all Puryear alums. Are you on the Puryear Facebook page? Maybe pick a good game weekend and post it there to get the ball rolling.

Pooh Ah!

ESL

I wish I had known, I usually make at least one game a year. I don't do facebook, but I may start an account now, or have my wife check out the Puryear page. Then again, I may not want my wife check it out...
puryear8c
Wow. Love this. ESL for sure. I lived there 80-84 and actually requested Puryear as my older brothers had lived there, plus was paying my own way and I recall it was around $200 per Semester. Nickname was JOT....long story. Was President my Senior year because the original pres got impeached when he was caught rolling John Deer tractor tires down the freeway embankments by the dealership.....it was all of our fricks being initiated. Ramp 8 baller for life. I've got a lot of stories to contribute if I can remember them.
87NastyNiner
Hey JOT, I was one of those fricks at John Deere. I bugged out before the cops showed up and jogged all the way back to Puryear. Saw the police cars headed that way on the jog back. Remember how many fricks came back with numerous ant stings from hiding in the tall Johnson grass across from John Deere?
LatinAggie1997
AG
InfantryAg said:

LatinAggie1997 said:

Quote:

Infantry,

I was at Puryear 93-94 in Ramp 1 across the hall from Mark and Big Dave. Weren't Stu and Neil (silver pots) down your way? Perhaps a little further in Ramp 7.

Were you a Letterhead our frick year? I still have our green Puryear frick shirt.

I wasn't a letterhead and only lived there my pisshead year. Great year but I had get my alcohol under control.

I thought Stu and Neil were in ramp 4. I still occasionally hang out with Stu's roommate, Chuck.

Ramp 4 seems correct, I wasn't sure. That's good bull. It was definitely a time that required a lot of self discipline. Unsure I remember Stu's roommate, unless he was about 6'1 220 and scruffy beard. I remember a lot people but sometimes they get mixed up together. Our ramp was a good mix of fun and crazy, Redass fricks and 2%ers.
puryear8c
Haha. I do remember when y'all got back having all the ant bites and looking like hell. Great way to start your college career off.
Great memories from Puryear days.
Oh and ESL.
puryear8c
And if I remember correctly, under my Presidency, I kept our overall dorm GPA as low as ever and we won All University Champs for like the 5th year in a row.
ESL
zephyr88
AG
My grandpa lived in Puryear (Ramp 9 from memory) in '37 and '38. He never graduated as he was called to duty in the Pacific Theater. He was a great man who loved his family, his country and the Aggies.
wesag
AG
Nasty Niners
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I, obviously, never lived on the wrong side of the quad!
puryear8c
Typical law hall, always following in the footsteps and shadow of big brother Puryear. You can't even create your own thread, as you have to tag along ours.
ESL
puryear8c
I remember when we created the Puryear Tour, which was on Thursday nights when we returned from Northgate. We would line up under our trees and hit golf balls at law. Tournament was over when we heard the first glass shatter. Good times.
LatinAggie1997
AG
puryear8c said:

Typical law hall, always following in the footsteps and shadow of big brother Puryear. You can't even create your own thread, as you have to tag along ours.
ESL
87NastyNiner
Hey JOT, I forgot about the lowest GPA thing. And yes, we were All University Champions that year and the next...We, Ramp 9, won flag football my soph year...

ESL
Hot Corner
AG
I lived in Puryear, Ramp 9, for 3 years, 71-74. In 1971 we coined the Law Hall Howdya jingle and seranaded them almost every night. Glad to hear the tune hung on for so long. The best of times, great friends, great memories; water fights, panty raids, washer pitching, and playing 42. I found out 10 years later I left my ten speed chained in the Law Hall bike rack. Unlocked it and carried it home to sell in a garage sale. I retrieved bricks during the razing for all of my best buddies. Almost forgot some of the best food fights imaginable in Sbisa.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.