Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Big 10 adding 12th team...

10,259 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by NEINTXAggie78
Twelfthman99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M and Texas would never join the Big 10. The travel costs alone are enough to scrap the idea. We have a hard enough time staying afloat playing in the Big XII... Could you imagine having to fund trips for Softball and Volleyball to Minnesota and Pennsylvania every couple of weeks?
Post removed:
by user
stuckinaustinAG
AG
If Texas went to bTEN along with Notre Dame wouldn't bTEN want Oklahoma over us?

We couldn't get televised playing Texas Tech this year....I think we are overestimating our current fan draw.

I think Texas going to bTEN is a far stretch but if b12 does fall apart for whatever reason we better have our exit strategy already inked because we would be behind Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas and maybe even Missouri for SEC, Pac10 and bTEN to choose from.

[This message has been edited by doyle_29 (edited 1/5/2010 2:50p).]
shelbys99
I thought all facts presented made some since, until I saw the last two words of the article.

Then, I just realized it was the arrogance spewing.
musicman55
AG
I think both Texas and A&M will do whatever is in their best interest institutionally to do. If that's the Big Ten, so be it. The travel costs are an issue, but a minor one. If the Ten wants Texas then, IMO, they'll have to take us too because I don't think politically Texas can swing the deal by themselves, there would be too much oppostition to it at the Capitol. If Texas were to leave the Big 12 for, say the Pac-10, then A&M would have to look out for its own interests. A Big 12 Conference without Texas is not a sustainable model for A&M... for other schools maybe, but not for A&M.
Buck Turgidson
"wouldn't bTEN want Oklahoma over us?"

Have you been reading ANY of these threads? OU is a community college with good sports programs. The Big 10 takes academics very seriously, unlike most conferences.
chick79
AG
Road trips would be brutal in this new Big 16.... other than Austin, you'd have to travel hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles to attend a road game......... I hope it doesn't come to this...........
musicman55
AG
Buck is right. Not dissing Oklahoma, but I don't think they've got the kind of academic pedigree that the Ten is looking for.
hornyhoosier
quote:
If Texas went to bTEN along with Notre Dame wouldn't bTEN want Oklahoma over us?

Oklahoma really only brings success at football (and somewhat basketball) to the table.

They do not fit the Big Ten academically at all. They also really don't provide any important TV markets or access to recruiting hotbeds. Oklahoma only has about 3.5 million people and OU doesn't have a large national base.
chick79
AG
The only Big 12 schools the Big 10 would even consider from an academic standpoint are t.u., A&M, Colorado, Baylor, KU and Mizzou.........
JeffHamilton82
The Big 10 might take MO and Neb, but not A&M or tu. If the Big 12 falls apart and I hope it does, A&M will join the SEC and tu will join the SEC or the Pac 10.
musicman55
AG
Interesting that of the current Ten membership, seven of the schools are land grant universities: Illinois, Purdue, Mich St, Minnisota, Ohio State, Penn State, & Wisconsin. We'd fit right in from that standpoint....

Buck Turgidson
JeffHamilton82 is apparently under the impression that if he posts the exact same wish several hundred times that it will come true.

Screw the SEC. The fans from the other schools are mostly scumbags, the travel distances would not improve, and we would compete with Ole Miss and MSU for just above last place in the SEC West most years. Meanwhile, the door is open for our toothless cousins at Arkansas & LSU to raid more Texas HS talent than they already do. There's nothing in it for us but a few extra dollars and alot of football misery.
musicman55
AG
The only way the sips would be interested in going to the SEC would be if the Big 12 fell apart and neither the Big Ten or the Pac Ten would take them. They don't think they fit at all with the SEC.
chick79
AG
quote:
Screw the SEC. The fans from the other schools are mostly scumbags

+1.... could not agree more Buck!

However, many of the Big 10 fans are scumbags too........ really, the Big 12 as it is right now is fine with me if we can just get a better TV deal.........
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
Screw the SEC. The fans from the other schools are mostly scumbags, the travel distances would not improve, and we would compete with Ole Miss and MSU for just above last place in the SEC West most years. Meanwhile, the door is open for our toothless cousins at Arkansas & LSU to raid more Texas HS talent than they already do. There's nothing in it for us but a few extra dollars and a lot of football misery.

This...

How has football worked out for Arkie since they joined the SEC? I think it would only be the same for us. Probably worse...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mia1995
I still don't understand why the SEC would be attractive to A&M. That arrangement looks like all downside to me.

The conference is a joke academically and A&M lacks the clout to push for significant changes in this regard. A&M lacks anywhere near the pull required to negotiate favorable terms into the athletic side either (whoever thought A&M could get the SEC agree to keep out other Texas schools was high). As far as football is concerned, letting the SEC plant a flag in the state of Texas helps the existing SEC FAR MORE than the SEC's football primacy helps A&M. Unless A&M was prepared to relax its academic standards, the best A&M could hope for is to replicate what Arky has done... which isn't much. You going would end up getting a$$ pounded every year by teams you don't have any traditional connection to, that sounds great.

I just can't believe that A&M needs cash so much as to compromise its athletics and academics so completely.
yeshellyes
AG
I'm thinking MU would be the defector to the B10 then the B12 disintegrages. Texas has enough money so they don't really need to start the process for more. Also, they won't want to become just a face in the crowd in the B10. The "superconference" idea isn't new and I don't see teams enthused about playing a half dozen powerful programs every year - it's killing Notre Dame.
Post removed:
by user
crazytexasaggie99
IMO, if the Ten went to the Big 18, and they wanted Texas, they'd offer to A&M too. We are compatible academically with the current Big 10, and politically if they wanted Texas it would be made clear to them that they would have to offer A&M membership, also.
GreenAg95
If Big 12 starts to dissolve, OU is heading to the SEC before we get there.

No way do they get left out of the whole discussion....
mia1995
If the Big12 dissolves, NU and OU would stick together and go pick up a handful of teams from mid america and make a new conference that they can lord over. OU fits in with the SEC mentality, but they know they'd fade into the background in the SEC.
APHIS AG
t.u. and A&M are joined at the hip. The Texas Legislature will NEVER agree to the separation. That is why when the Southwaet Conference was disintegrating and we had an opportunity to jump to the SEC, it was voted down and also when the Big XII was formed, politics again reared its ugly head with the inclusion of tt and especially, Baylor.
RhodieAg
AG
For those saying we would get our ass kicked every year in the SEC, you are missing the point. A&M in the SEC changes the paradigm completely. You are the only Texas school in the best football conference in the country. Sure, we'd get our ass kicked the first couple of years, but we'd right the ship.

Plus, remember how mediocre Texas was before they joined the Big 12? Ever since its inception they've completely turned it around. A lot of the same old assumptions don't always hold up in new situations.

Also, is the SEC really that much worse than the Big 12 academically? You've got Vandy which is far better than anything the
Big 12 has. You've got UF AND UGA which are pretty much identical to A&M academically. And then after that you have a bunch of crap/mediocrity in both conferences, although admittedely the Big 12's 2nd tier is a little better. Big deal.
OKC~Ag
"OU is a community college with good sports programs"

dang, you guys are brutal...
I wouldn't go that far. I would think OU is in same academic league as in Baylor and UH(houston).
ChitownAg95
Texas being mediocre was a blip in their history. They have always been that good. The only thing they had to turn around was a few bad years.
I think we would get owned in the SEC...

Limbaugh is a freaking pig
NEINTXAggie78
Feed Iowa State to the Big 10 ... throw in a couple mil to sweeten the pot. Move Oklahoma to north just like the old Big 8 days, and pick up TCU for the south. No deep logic here.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.