Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

T-Murph

97,408 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cj774
bdp514am
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ArmyDoc, I'm not real sure about coaching up a kicker either. But I do recall the Russell Erxleben, Steve Little and our own Tony Franklin, probably the 3 best kickers of their time period incollege ball, all sought out instruction from the same kicking coach. So perhaps it does have something to do with it.
Gil Renard
AG
God I hate Fran. I can't wait '11 when his residue is completely gone from this program and we will have more talent across the board we have had since the 90's
sharpdressedman
I wish TMurph would have spoken up. Perhaps it would have ended Fran's tenure sooner.
5C
AG
/torbush
mshipp88
I hope that was the real Terrence Kitchens on page 1. He was sick. We need him back ASAP.
Terence Kitchens
Thanks for the respect doc!

The one thing I can say is, Kicking and Punting at the Collegiate level is much harder than people realize. Also, kicking off the ground is a lot harder than off a tee in High School.

Being really good at that level takes a lot of work. In defense of college coaches, the NCAA limits how many assistant coaches you can have on staff. This means most programs have a guy coaching the secondary, and also special teams. They don't get near the time or attention the other positions get. I would love to see the NCAA allow another assistant coach so they can designate one just for special teams like the NFL does.

Shawn Slocum did a great job coaching Special Teams for us and has a job with the Green Bay Packers now doing just that.
ArmyDoc
AG
mshipp...he is on all pages and it is him. he's posted on here before. He's legit. Unfortunately, there is that whole "eligiblity" issue about him returning ASAP.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Makes perfect sense... think about his relationships with the players during his tenure, and all the conversations we had on here about "cancers in the locker room".
AgofAF
Kitchens?! 62 yarder against Southern Miss when we were no. 5 in 99? I can't honestly remember why we tried to kick it? I feel like even with great kickers coaches don't go for 62 yarders. Did you make a bet with R.C. on that one? Haha. Awesome to have you on this board. You were clutch.
ebag02
AG
quote:
I wish TMurph would have spoken up. Perhaps it would have ended Fran's tenure sooner.

Nope, he would have been called an RC leftover and a cancer and blamed for losing. Coaches at Texas A&M are great and only lose because of the previous regimes players.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Enjoyed watching you play at Lumberton and A&M, Terrence.
1876er
AG
quote:

Ha. Everybody would have turned against T-murph and called him an RC leftover that is a cancer in the locker room.
rtrd
quote:
Kitchens?! 62 yarder against Southern Miss when we were no. 5 in 99? I can't honestly remember why we tried to kick it? I feel like even with great kickers coaches don't go for 62 yarders. Did you make a bet with R.C. on that one? Haha. Awesome to have you on this board. You were clutch.

clutch? Well, I'm not gonna go there.
4stringAg
AG
quote:
and all the conversations we had on here about "cancers in the locker room".

Sounds like Fran was the real locker room cancer.

Gillispie was tough on his players as well but they won, almost immediately, and the payoff to his tough approach was realized.

Fran didn't win, played favorites, and probably conducted a lot of head games playing certain players off against each other. That kind of approach, particularly when the wins don't come, is a recipe for a team that quits on its coach which we saw a lot of during Fran's first 3 years.
Rick Deckard
AG
Check a little further down the facebook posts. T-Murph calls out some guy for questioning his original post.

quote:
Terrence Murphy Jonathan,
First off this is not texags buddy, you do not have a fake name to hide behind bro. Secondly, you are on my personal page running your chops. Work for something? Dude you would not make it 5 minutes on the grass with us, the weight room, and especially when we put on the pads buddy. I usually do not waste my time with guys like you, but ... See Moreout of respect for anyone that is a student athlete, its harder than your closed mind could ever imagine. Now, do not be mad at me because you were the kid that no one ever picked to play ball. Its all love on here, I love everyone but then here you come running your chops buddy. Take care Mr. John. I have seen guys like you all my life, mad at athletes in general. lol
AgofAF
I don't know what football you watched rtrd, but that 1998 team was full of my childhood heroes. Obviously the 1998 Big 12 Championship used up all of our luck for this decade.
=WORTH IT

[This message has been edited by AgofAF (edited 12/29/2009 3:44p).]
phildickinson1
CDub06
AG
Oh snap, Jonathon Gutierrez just got owned.
rtrd
Don't know what football you were watching but I'm thinking Bynum was the kicker in '98.

In '99 kitchens had the job for a bit. Oh yeah, great 62 yarder during the s.miss game, but plenty of blocks that season (hell, 2 during that southern miss game).
NyAggie
AG
quote:
Terrence Murphy- It is amazing that two coaches in the Big 12 are getting negative press for mis-treating players on their football teams. WOW, Coach Fran treated players at A&M like this the day he arrived at A&M. Now that I am a man, looking back it hurts my heart to know how many of my teammates will never come back to A&M because o...f those antics, and how many kid's life was altered because of it...
Guess it did not happen to a football legend's son, so it was ignored. ESPN brought back bad memories. One love old teammates, you know I keep it real, regardless. I fault myself for not stepping up as the leader of the team and saying something.

screw you fran.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Shawn Slocum did a great job coaching Special Teams for us

Terrance is trolling us now.
Wheatables02
AG
pg. 1
1876er
AG
Guess this explains Johnny "forest brook hs" Jolly
Token
AG
quote:
Oh snap, Jonathon Gutierrez just got owned.
we call that pwnt
Classy Gentleman
i love t-murph and respect the crap outta him... this just makes me hate fran 10 times more
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
T-Murph is great. I am not a fan of the current 'leadership' but I know T-Murph on a personal level and if he says this sheet happened...without a doubt i believe him.

GoneGirl
AG
quote:
probably conducted a lot of head games playing certain players off against each other.

Well we know he did the same thing with the team and the 12th Man.
tamuaggie11
AG
T-Murph FTW!!!

I posted a thread on this before, but I would love it if sherm brought him in as a special teams/receivers coach. T-Murph is one of my all time favorite aggies, and certainly one of the all time greats. Its a shame that fran was that way...knew I didnt like the guy.
Hill Country Ag
AG
What a torpedo for our program. Too bad.

Lot's of criticism on this board about Sherm, but the least you can say is that he shows a love for our program.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I vote for Kitchens to be the new Special Teams coach. You down buddy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDub06
AG
TMurph still rippin the hater.
aarjon
man, im starting to think that fran kept mcgee in the game during those nasty loses becuase he didnt trust anyone else to undermine him and do something 'stupid'
Roc96
AG
Hill Country -

I agree. Although Slocum had his occasional personal issues, he treated the kids in our program with respect, and made men out of boys without ever having a losing season. I've been ridiculed for years on the stance I held at that time, which is: Slocum never did anything, or failed to do anything, worthy of a firing.

I feel Sherm is in the same vane as Slocum, and I welcome that approach to our program.
jeffk
AG
Murph and Kitchens - thanks for the insight into Fran's tenure are A&M. We all knew it was difficult, but I guess I hadn't understood the impact he had on the players' feelings towards the university as a whole, but it does makes sense.

Coaches are there to not only improve the quality of play on the field, but the quality of the individual leaving it.

Sorry you guys didn't have that sort of leadership to work under. I would like to reiterate what someone else said earlier: Things seem to be changing for the better with the A&M football program (special teams mishaps aside). Please come around and make your support and presence known to the guys filling your old shoes... I'm sure it would mean a ton to them.
RhodieAg
AG
No surprise here, he abused the fans for five years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.