Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Remember C. K. Eston

7,529 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
HighPlainsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good Afternoon Football Fans, welcome to Kyle Field, home of the the Fightin' Texas Aggies. Today's game is being carried over Armed Forces Radio for the benefit of those that cannot be herrrrrrrrre!

On the tackle, Krueger, Aschenbeck, and Hobbbbbbbs.

This could be just a campus legend but it is still good bull. Sometime in the 1960's, after making his opening remarks (first paragraph), the 12th Man didn't respond. Supposedly, he didn't know the microphone was still on and he said. "Wildcat you *******ddddddddds"

I want to know if this actually happened.

Ol Waco Ag
AG
Don't know if that actually happened but he got hisses from the 12th Man in the 70's when he was ordered to say " The consumption of alcoholic beverages in Kyle Field is strictly prohibited .........and this rule WILLLLLL be enforced "

C.K. was incredible......None better ...and I am a huge fan of Dr Roger Feldman too...

I would hope we would stop that STUPID, " Its another Fightin Texas Aggie First down " I have heard too many opposing fans over the past few years echo, " Its another Fightin Texas Aggie punt "

[This message has been edited by Ol Waco Ag (edited 7/15/2009 11:35p).]
AgDotCom
CK Esten was greatness and frankly we should check the Cushing archives to see if we can get a clean tape of that introduction......and play it before each game.

Goose bumps.
AgDotCom
quote:
Supposedly, he didn't know the microphone was still on and he said. "Wildcat you *******ddddddddds"

Don't know if that's true or not, I can't vouch. It sounds just like him, though. Someone told a story here once about him walking into his speech class when the Bay of Pigs was going down and saying "Well, it's been nice knowing you sons of *****es!"

But what I can vouch for is one day when his spotter was a little late with the info and with his mike unknowingly on he clearly barked "WHO'S GOT THE ***DAMN BALL !?!?!" I heard it myself, loud and clear.

His wife was my fourth grade English teacher at South Knoll. They broke the mold.
musket
AG
I had him as a Prof....class, style and an American original.....
HuslinOne70
I was there in the mid 60's and it would have been before my time but I had a professor who told us the story. I had no reason to doubt him. CK would always kind of blow into the mike a couple of times to make sure it was on before he said "Good Afternoon" and gave his customary welcome followed by the Corps wildcat.
musicman55
AG
Mr. Eston's famous intro was included on the "Live From Kyle Field" album recorded by the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band during the 1973 season, so it's at least available from that source as a download... the album is also available on CD.
wildcat08
AG
I remember "Tackle by El-men-dorf." Rolled each syllable around for about 3 seconds. There were two guys in the secondary (I think) named Hoot & Hitt--can't remember the first names. I had a friend who was band announcer that year & I told him once it would be fun to hear C.K. roll out their names on the same call. He said he would tell him & sure enough, next game, "tackle by HOOT & HITT."
Animal72
AG
Loved him! Used to watch him sleep in church every Sunday, always on the aisle seat. He would start to fall into the aisle and his wife would nudge him.
Fond memories:
"Aggies draw five, pro-ceeee-dure"
And always at the end of the game:
"After the game, please drive care-fuuuuuly"
Great enunciation, great PA.
Skull Session
"Good Afternoon Football Fans, welcome to Kyle Field, home of the the Fightin' Texas Aggies"

Too bad we can't get a tape of him saying this on the pregame "spirit" video!
CASHMONEYAGGIE2002
AG
I miss Roger Feldman. His voice was deep, neutral, and did not contain any of the juvenile..."thats another fightin texas aggie first down"...type material. I really miss how professional and classic his voice meant for aggie football.

I do definitely wish we could replace what we have now.

[This message has been edited by CASHMONEYAGGIE2002 (edited 7/16/2009 11:37a).]
aggieangst
I remember C.K. Eston during my years at A&M.

One of a kind, great voice.
Agfanfromwayback
My Dad was in that English class after the Bay of Pigs...thats a true story, he followed that line with "come monday morning you'll all be on a boat to Cuba".
I love hearing stories about the guy and would love to hear some audio.
WBBQ74
AG
C.K. was famous for giving scores in reverse in order to elicit some oooohs and ahhhs from the crowd, i.e., "In the 3rd quarter in Lubbock the score is Texas 23.........Texas Tech 24." or something along that line. He had a very nasal New England accent that was completely out of place but worked perfectly.

I agree that the "another Fightin' Texas Aggie first down" should be ditched. Sounds dumb.

"Recall.....Step off on Hullabaloo..."
McInnis80
"A final score, Colorado 42 (long pause) Oklahoma (even longer pause) 82."

I miss the days when the PA Announcer was give info to the fans and not a guy who is another cheerleader for the home team.

dimbo333
AG
I took his class--History of the Theatre. He graded on attendance--perfect attendance got you an A. It was the only class I took in four years that I had perfect attendance.
war hymn aggie
AG
I remember CK with his deliberate style of speaking and his deep voice. Brings back fond memories of my childhood when days seemed so carefree. His wife, Mrs Esten, was my 3rd grade teacher at South Knoll.

Roger Feldman still lives in the CS area.
war hymn aggie
AG
wildcat,

I believe the players names were David Hoot and Lee Hitt.

BTW,Hitt is a good name for a defensive player, doncha think?
AgDotCom
"At the haff.....

Arkansah 0 .....

Bay-LOR ....

7 "
AgDotCom
"Woostah carries....

brought down by BRU-bakkah".
missB
Yes. A legend indeed. The second deck days. The old press box. The striped shoulder jerseys. And,defense.

I attended South Knoll. Had no idea that his wife taught there so it must have been just a few years before my time.

"Gah th Ten Naple"

[This message has been edited by Samantha Baker (edited 7/16/2009 10:05p).]
XL2Win
Actually that did happen. CK was the voice of Kyle for decades. He highlighted the game when there was no jumbotron to watch.

Great guy too. Never been the same since he passed.
wildcat08
AG
quote:
I believe the players names were David Hoot and Lee Hitt.

BTW,Hitt is a good name for a defensive player, doncha think?

War Hymn, I think you're right, on both counts.
Aggie64
AG
C. K. Eston (I am not sure of the correct spelling) was my English professor. He made it a wonderful class, was a true gentleman, a great man and the absolute Best Voice of Kyle Field.
That is really saying a lot since most of us engineering major had little or no use for the English classes!!
He was famous for his introduction, "Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Kyle Field, Home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies", while under his breath he always uttered, “the bunch of *******s” as the corps wildcatted and drowned this out.

C.K. is a true legend and a wonderful professor.
harleyds2
AG
Brought down by Elemendorf and the Beam

In the aggie backfield Dean Bean Green and the Dusek
6-4-3
AG
As this new season begins, TTT with a tribute to the great CK Esten. Great sense of timing and pregnant pauses. Not to mention the old classic loudspeaker sounds. Those sound systems were not the modern sound systems of today. But they sounded like football.
aggieband 83
AG
Here is his voice:

Deke
AG
Greatest of all time.
TAMU74
AG
Many great memories w/ CK announcing. He'll never be replaced.
F4GIB71
aggieband 83 said:

Here is his voice:

Beat me to the post, but thanks. Back in Old Army...
F4GIB71
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Thanksgiving Day 1967 was the first time I remember that voice.

It was a pretty good game, and I was forever a fan.
Stone44
AG
Herrrrrman on the tackle......talked to him after class one day and he said the sips had total control over SWC officials. Four out of six officials worked the Aggie/tu game that year were tu graduates and there was nothing we could do about it. He hated the sips because they cheated in everything. He was especially adamant about the interception in the 1963 game that was taken away from us by a sip official. No one should ever be allowed to officiate a game involving their school. He was one of a kind.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Roger Feldman still lives in the CS area.
Roger passed away in 2015.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.