Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who was the toughest Aggie football player of all time?

5,780 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Forrest Greg
Phil Rirruto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Pardee survived Junction and worked as a roughneck when not in school. BAMF.
Carrot34
Dennis Goehring... 195 lb. All American Guard

Murray Trimble story: Murrah came to A&M on scholarship. The coach who offered the scholly first called coach Bryant. He said.. I have found the toughest kid anywhere should I offer?? Ans was sure. Reply was well coach there is just one thing... he has only one arm. When Murray was a Fish they went up to Houston to play Rice.. Rice was about the toughest in SWC in those days. The Rice recruits watched the Ag Fish come onto the field and one big dignified Dr. who played on the Rice team told me:

"We were real proud of our freshman team and didn't know anything about the Ags. Kinda felt sorry for them when they were warming up because one had a face problem of some kind (John Crow) and another just had one arm (Trimble). Thought they were scraping the bottom for players. When we lined up for the first play sure enough the kid with one are lined up in front of me. Not very big and with one arm. He looked up at me and said: 'good afternoon, my name is Murray Trimble and I am going to whip your ass'.... and he did just that all afternoon."

True Story. Also few knew that Murray was a pitcher on the fish baseball team and hit a tripple against Baylor or somebody... with one arm??? Yep. Did his pushups with one are right with everyone else.

For pure toughness I still go with Dennis Goehring. He would line up at nose guard looking like he was worn completely out and then get down right on the ground on all fours.. then leap like a frog completely over the center and catch the QB before he had time to move. Coach Bryant hated that because he was completely out of position if he missed the QB so he didn't do it often.

Funny life we lived in those days.
Carrot34
Dennis Goehring was a Junction survivor but his toughness was shown on the field. He was a walk on who as a fish didn't even get to suit up for the "away games". To get the coaches attention as a freshman, he would go "full 100% contact" in the practices when nobody wore pads just before games. Players got mad as hell but He got the coaches attention and ended up not just making the trips but by becoming an All American guard playing both ways and basically never coming out of the games.
anaggieshusband
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJEyyZadJQ
anaggieshusband
Solari was pretty tough
adairtexas
My vote goes to all the Junction Boys!
marine26
S
I know he is not a very good lineman, but Lee Grimes has played through a lot of injuries.
Forrest Greg
Billy Hobbs ended up possibly the "kindest" aggie around. Here is part of his obituary.

Former Texas A&M and NFL football player Bill Hobbs, Class of 1969, was killed in an automobile accident in San Antonio on Aug. 21. 2004

Hobbs' funeral was held in San Antonio on Wednesday, Aug. 25 at Alamo City Christian Fellowship.

Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations Alan Cannon said he was impressed by Hobbs.

"He was a wonderful person," Cannon said.

Hobbs, 57, became a two-time, All-American linebacker at A&M, 1967 Southwest Conference Player of the Year, the Cotton Bowl MVP and National Defensive Player of the Year. He went to the NFL and played for the Philadelphia Eagles, spending some of his career with the San Antonio Wings afterward, Cannon said.

Sammy Tippit, president of Sammy Tippit Ministries, was a close friend of Hobbs and said Hobbs applied what he had learned in football to his work in ministry.

"Hobbs took the same competitive spirit to help people," Tippit said.

After his football career, Hobbs became a minister at Amarillo's San Jacinto Baptist, joined the Alamo City Christian Fellowship and recently traveled the world as a missionary.

Hobbs later started the Mercy Foundation, which he was also president of, Tippit said.

The Mercy Foundation is a family shelter for those in need of a place to go, whether it's single moms and their children or families who need help getting back on their feet. It is located in San Antonio and also includes a prison release program for men.

As well as helping people in the United States, Hobbs traveled outside the country to help others.

"Hobbs went to the hardest places and reached out in many ways to help people," Tippit said.

Hobbs and Tippit recently started working with orphans in Kenya, creating a vitamin supplement that is now being tested for its effectiveness.

They also visited orphanages and hospitals, spoke in schools, lunchtime fellowships, prisons and conducted 15 regional evangelistic meetings around the city.

"He cared about people and expressed God's love for people," Tippit said.

Hobbs was also scheduled for a trip to help people in Pakistan.

A couple years ago, Hobbs told Tippit, "My goal is that when I've completed my work with Sammy Tippit Ministries that those with whom I have worked will all be better people because of my relationship with them."

[This message has been edited by Forrest Greg (edited 11/28/2008 3:02p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.