Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Anyone remember tu band/armadillo incident?

13,268 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CactusThomas
MLK_87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
The armadillo even challenged the University of Texas. A tongue-in-cheek bumper sticker movement to change the name of the mascot from Longhorn to Armadillo got under way, and students at rival Texas A&M couldn't let that opportunity slip by. At a Thanksgiving Day football game, the Aggies stampeded a herd of orange-painted armadillos into the ranks of the Texas marching band.

From Jan Reid's book The Improbable Rise of Redneck Rock, there is a section about Armadillo World Headquarters.

Does anyone remember this? Thanks to the "coolest Aggie memorabilia" thread for the memory jog.
lotoarmy
AG
I was there and don't remember all the details, but it was funny. I'm not sure it was during the band performance, but it was on the field. I think it was more like several armadillos, not a herd.

Last of the Old Army<BR>
85AustinAg
AG
I remember it.
Tailgate88
AG
If we tried that today, PETA would be all over us.

Times have changed.
WBBQ74
AG
'71 t.u. game at Kyle. Cold cloudy day. Ags had won 4 in a row to get to 5-5 and the Peach Bowl reps were there to see if we upset the Horns and keep Gene Stallings from being fired. It was 0-34 at the half, sips scored on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line 4 times. I was a p_sshead in the Band looking down thinking about the drill when the t.u. band entered from the south end zone, marching towards us. The 2 butt yell leaders, Hank Paine and C.H. Long ran out onto the middle of Kyle with a couple of armadillos mostly painted orange and let them go. Crowd started laughing while the t.u. band came wandering north. 2 assistant band director geek types came running onto the field trying to catch the dillos who did not cooperate and scurried in various directions. More laughter. As the t.u. band folks finally got to the dillos a couple of them tripped over the pesky little critters and messed up the marching. More laughter and the dillos finally escaped off the field headed where to I have no idea or rememberance. Back in those pre-amoeba marching band days the t.u. band used to try and mimic a FTAB drill piece of several years previous. That year the t.u. band guy was attempted to do oblique company fronts like us but at a larger interval. Once the t.u. band finished and the armadillos were gone we got out and did our drill like usual.

Game ended 14-34 and Gene Stallings was fired before I got back home to SA that night. My old VW did not have a radio so I was unaware until my Dad met me at the door and let me know the news. It was expected. Emory Bellard was hired a couple of days later and Aggie football changed in lots of ways.

Dig 'Em, Dillos. Yeah, I remember.

"Recall.....Step off on Hullabaloo..."
war hymn aggie
AG
nice story, WBBQ74.

If I remember correctly, the reason that the Armadillos were let out was because there was a grass roots movement in Austin trying to get the tu mascot changed from Longhorns to Armadillos.
putmeincoach
Don't Armadillos carry leprosy or something like that?
BRP
For you folks that don't know, the story WBBQ74 just related is "Redass"... defined.
abat51
AG
Lawdy, lawdy that brings back memories...

I was there and LMAO along with about 50000+ other Aggies.

Gig'em...
abat51...
tamuags08
AG
Good Bull WBBQ74
Strike One
I was there also and I have to say it was great to get in a little humor at the expense of the Horns and their band with the way they were, once again, hammering us Ags. Boy, that Gene Stallings era really sucked! 34-14 was a nail biter compared to some of our other losses that I'd much rather forget.
MD 72
I was there and still have a "Dig 'Em Dillo's" bumper sticker we made up and distributed before the game. The bumper sticker besides the slogan had an orange armadillo digging in the dirt.

15 years ago I was talking smack to a colleague of mine who's a sip and he remembered it as well. He was in the tu band when they marched out on the field for half time perfomance and the orange armadillo's were set loose in front of them.

He said it wasn't funny then but he can laugh at it now. Good Bull!
aggieband 83
AG
WBBQ74, I wish I could have seen that. Good Bull!
Dough
quote:
A tongue-in-cheek bumper sticker movement to change the name of the mascot from Longhorn to Armadillo got under way

This was before my time, but the way my father related the story to me is that this was a very serious movement by a few quacks. Nothing tongue in cheek about it.

KEM2
Was that the same game where tu took their flag on the field pre-game and a cadet ran his sabor down the middle of it?
SWCBonfire
AG
Maybe San Saba ISD can sue t.u. for infringing on their mascot like the longhorn legal nazis do on a regular basis. What's the statute of limitations? hahaha

Gladiator-91
AG
We ought to re-start that movement. In the day of the internet, it may never die. Besides the head of an armillo looks like a longhorn w/o horns.

I came here to drink beer and kick ass, and I just ran out of beer.
craigmugs
AG
yep, I was there in 71. Scattered the tu band queers!
aggiejustin33
Good story!
PooDoo
AG
How fast would the culprits get bounced out of school if that happened today? And probably put on the PETA hit list for painting Armadillos.
MD 72
So much for political correctness.
hamhorn
I was at the game, too. You take your "good bull" where you can find it. Mine was on the scoreboard.
hamhorn

[This message has been edited by hamhorn (edited 1/24/2008 9:34a).]
riz98
AG
WBB just made that up...

j/k, that's redass
Mugsy01
AG
WBBQ74
paine73
This brings back a lot of memories.

What happened prior to C.H. and I dumping the armadillos in the middle of the tu band at halftime was this:

At midnight yell we told the fish that we would give our class set (73) for every armadillo that they brought to my hole. Around 4 a.m. it seems like half the damn fish in the Corps show up banging on my door. There were at least 15-20 armadillos in tow sacks, beer coolers, you name it. They crapped me out totally.
We let all but two of them go and took them to the game.
What a hoot!!

Beat the Hell outta Everyone!!

Hank Paine
HYL '73
DCC99
AG
Hank, that is AWESOME!!!
BuddyB73
I was there that day as well...BQ73
BuddyB73
That was good bull Hank. dem days are over.... No more senior details hanging guys in fart sacks from trees in the quad....
CT'73
AG
I was there. Good bull indeed.

You're right hornyhammy -- SCOREBOARD is good bull: 12-7 and 38-30.
gw78
AG
Or leaving hardass pissheads in a fartsack in their underwear at the swine center with ten pennies and covered in tobacco spit.

Never Say Die!
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I love how these posts bring out the hidden ones(lurkers), before my time, but damn good bull.
bqce
AG
Since a bunch of us BQ fish were out "herding" armadillos that night, it was the first time a lot of us found out you can't catch them rascals by their tails.

Definitely good bull, and no animals were harmed (that we know of or will admit) in this stunt.

Edited for spelling 'cause "out" doesn't have an "a" in it.

[This message has been edited by bqce (edited 1/24/2008 9:23p).]
Boozoo
AG
Great story! Makes me sorry that I was only 4 years old when it happened LOL
confucius_ag
AG
Good bull. I have never heard this story.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.