Ugliest Texas County Courthouse

19,291 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
Producers_96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Zavala County Courthouse...

Although I could believe that nobody has been there...

(can't post a pic -- here's the link: http://www.texascourthouses.com/Courthouse%20Photos/Zavala.JPG)

[This message has been edited by Producers_96 (edited 7/16/2008 3:44p).]
MLK_87
AggieDubs
and i can't believe no one mentioned madison county just right down the road from Aggieland

BQ Mole Man
AG
Madison County was the first to come to my mind!

As I recall, Bowie County has a fairly mundane courthouse.

Bring back the Boss Bird!
Theo
My home town:

TXAG 05
AG
mine

not a great picture
Pro Sandy
AG
Couple of out of state courthouses for comparison.

Cimarron County, Oklahoma

Teton County, Montana

Can't say I really like the Cimarron County Courthouse, but I do like the Teton courthouse. What I really like about both of these is that they are still the center of town. They are prominently displayed, not hidden like so many of our new courthouses.
Bracy
My personal favorite in the Wise County Courthouse in Decatur.

gigemhilo
AG
Interesting article about the titus county courthouse in the longview news journal:

http://www.news-journal.com/hp/content/news/stories/2008/08/04/08042008_titus_county.html
Theo
The nicest county courthouse I've ever been in:

Santa Barbara County

Open on the weekends and you can go up to the tower for free for a great view:

Yeah, we do have oil platforms out here.

a2rbnud
Kaufman county replaced their gorgeous 1887 copy of Weatherford's Courthouse with a glass monstrosity in 1956. The 1956 Kaufman disaster was designed by architect Warren Morey, who also designed the original Texas Stadium in Irving. The building wraps around a 1911 monument to defenders of slavery.
Cen-Tex
AG
The Kaufman statue doesn't say anything about defenders of slavery.
Stive
AG
Glad to see people were doing their homework on page 1. In the 80's the Titus County Courthouse looked like an AC unit. In the link that was posted you can see what looks like windows in a few places but those were actually just ventilation. The building had no windows other than the glass doors at the north and south ends of the building. My dad had just been elected county judge when that article and ranking came out and he and the commissioners court worked to get the renovations approved and completed back to the 1940's look (as well as building the needed annex across the street).

It's still not the best looking, not by a mile. But it's leaps and bounds better than it was 30 years ago.

I love driving through different towns and seeing old, classic courthouses. One of my favorite parts about small town Texas.
gigemhilo
AG
Stive said:

Glad to see people were doing their homework on page 1. In the 80's the Titus County Courthouse looked like an AC unit. In the link that was posted you can see what looks like windows in a few places but those were actually just ventilation. The building had no windows other than the glass doors at the north and south ends of the building. My dad had just been elected county judge when that article and ranking came out and he and the commissioners court worked to get the renovations approved and completed back to the 1940's look (as well as building the needed annex across the street).

It's still not the best looking, not by a mile. But it's leaps and bounds better than it was 30 years ago.

I love driving through different towns and seeing old, classic courthouses. One of my favorite part about small town Texas.
I had forgotten your dad played a major role in that. That building was hideous!
Stive
AG
Was your mother JP yet? When did she first take office?
gigemhilo
AG
She took office in 98 or so. But she worked for the county back then.
cbr
AG
any court house you lose a case in.

fortunately it almost never happens....
easttexasaggie04
AG
I wish the pictures were still in this thread.
Texarkanaag69
AG
FTAggies said:

BQ89 my father is still pissed about that, i asked him about that one day and he told me that they replaced it, smith county has by far the worst and it really pisses me off when i go through my mom's town of kaufman and see those old historical courthouses, whoever decided on that should be lynched
My dad was born and raised in Kaufman. I used to go visit my grandparents there. Loved that little town. I remember when they tore down the old courthouse when I was a little boy sometime around the early 50s. (I think). When traveling from Texarkana to Kaufman and neared Kaufman, my grandparents would give me or my sister a prize for being the first one to see the spires of the old courthouse. I have sweet childhood memories of Kaufman but it is no longer the town I loved.
southcsag
The ladies working at the Tarrant County Courthouse in Fort Worth had a code phrase for when they were going to the bathroom. They would tell each other that they were going down to see Ranger Walker, the exit he came out of the courthouse on Walker, Texas Ranger was where the bathrooms were.
Buck Turgidson
Austin County has an abortion of a courthouse. Looks like the Borg designed it. Much uglier in person than even this photo:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.