Nov. 30,1864 Franklin, Tn.

1,788 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bighunter43
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On this day in 1864, Confederate general Hiram B. Granbury, commander of Granbury's Texas Brigade, was killed in the battle of Franklin, Tennessee. Granbury, a native of Mississippi, moved to Texas in the 1850s. He was chief justice of McLennan County from 1856 to 1858. At the outbreak of the Civil War he recruited the Waco Guards, which became a unit in the Seventh Texas Infantry. By 1864 he had commanded in turn a regiment and a brigade. After the fall of Atlanta, Granbury led his brigade in Hood's invasion of Tennessee. He was one of at least 1,750 Confederate soldiers killed in the frontal assault at Franklin, the highest total of Confederate dead for any single-day battle of the war. A Texas captain wrote of the battle, "It can't be called anything else but cold blooded murder." Source TSHA -Texas Day by Day.

The 6th Ohio Light Battery in Fort Granger had 12pdr Napoleons. They were firing triple stacked canister rounds -- 3 every minute. The assaulting soldiers faced this for 400 yards.

Two Federal Regiments , the 65th Indiana and 65th Illinois, were armed with Henry Repeating Rifles. Extracted a terrible toll on those Confederates who actually made it into the fortifications.
Junction71
AG
Some of those battles like this and Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg defy any sense of logic.
JABQ04
AG
Captain Tod Carter of the 20th Tennessee who was killed with in sight of his own home (the Carter House) which was part of the Federal defensive line. Carried home to die in his own home surrounded by his family.
Cen-Tex
AG
Add Generals Patrick Cleburne, John Carter, John Adams, States Rights Gist, and Otho Strahl
Chipotlemonger
AG
Visited the battle site a few years ago, I think my only Civil War battle site that I've visited. Which is a shame because I was in Hershey for a wedding near Gettysburg some time around then too. Have visited many more Texas revolution sites over time, but I guess that makes sense geographically!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Junction71 said:

Some of those battles like this and Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg defy any sense of logic.
Because sometime they work...

Longstreet at 2nd Manassas
Jackson at Chancellorsville
Ewell at Gettysburg 1st day
Hood at Chickamauga 2nd day
Hooker at Lookout Mountain
Thomas at Seminary Ridge
Sheridan at Five Forks

Many more examples...

Sapper Redux
I don't think in any of those examples were you taking about an entrenched, well-supplied, and well-motivated force opposing them. Nor were those opposing forces patiently waiting for a frontal assault. The only other true comparison is Fredericksburg.
Green2Maroon
AG
I think July 1, 1916 makes pretty much any Civil War attack look smart.
JABQ04
AG
If the Brit's would have learned more from the French, who did very well in their small portion of the Somme offensive then it would have been a rousing success. All the keys to success were in Rawlinsons hands. Mines, several million arty shells in over a week, eager and confident troops. Just bungled it up and then kept reinforcing failure again and again and again.
Green2Maroon
AG
The British fired an insane amount of artillery shells before the attack. Still suffered 60,000 casualties on the first day.
JABQ04
AG
Yes they did
Bighunter43
AG
JABQ04 said:

Captain Tod Carter of the 20th Tennessee who was killed with in sight of his own home (the Carter House) which was part of the Federal defensive line. Carried home to die in his own home surrounded by his family.

Visited the Carter House a few years ago.....outstanding tour!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.