Date of Invention of an Alphabet and its Implications for Biblical History

1,672 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
Jabin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The date of the invention of an alphabet keeps getting pushed back to earlier and earlier dates. For example, an ivory comb with a complete sentence written on it in ancient Canaanite was found in Lachish and dated to about 1700 BC, supporting the argument that the alphabet was invented around 1800 BC.

Southern Adventist University Archaeologists Find Ivory Comb With First Written Canaanite Sentence | Southern Adventist University

And a "curse amulet" written in proto-Hebrew and dated to 1400-1200 BC was found at the site of an ancient altar on Mt. Ebal.

ABR Researchers Discover the Oldest Known Proto-Hebrew Inscription Ever Found - Associates for Biblical Research (biblearchaeology.org)

(The altar is almost certainly the altar built by Joshua on Mt. Ebal shortly after the Israelites crossed the Jordan and entered Canaan, as described in Joshua 8:30.)

The significance of these finds is to rebut one of the criticisms of the 5 books of Moses. That is, the critics claim that Moses could not have written them because there was no alphabet during Moses's life (1500-1400 BC). Both of these finds demonstrate that alphabets were most definitely in existence, and that even a proto-Hebrew alphabet existed.

There are many other archaeological finds of early alphabet usage. This is yet another example of the error committed by Biblical skeptics in relying upon the absence of evidence as evidence of absence. Absent evidence in archaeology typically means merely that "we haven't found anything yet."
Rex Racer
AG
Patterns Of Evidence: The Moses Controversy is a really cool documentary follow-up to Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus that talks about this subject.
Jack Boyett
AG
I've always though it strange that there was no alphabet, no advanced civilization 50,000 years ago. It's not much time in the grand scheme of evolution. Humans should have been very nearly the same intelligence 50,000 years ago. I don't understand why civilization is so young.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Evolution of the Alphabet | Earliest Forms to Modern Latin Script - YouTube
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Nagler
AG
I don't understand the certainty that historians and archaeologist are so confident that because they haven't found it means something didn't happen or didn't exist.

"We found a knife in a stump, it must be a sacrificial site." Or some dumb kid forgot his dad's knife when he was in the woods.

Imagine future people looking at our society without any context and trying to figure out what everything is for.

What would they think of this: Man Builds 3,000-Lb Sarco****us to Preserve Bag of Cheetos for Centuries "It must have been a special bag they thought was magic". Or people are dumb and do dumb things.

Stuff falls apart and disappears really fast. We have such a tiny fraction of the info of what went on 4000 years ago, much less farther back. To act like they have a real grasp of the details of what was going on is always funny to me.
Rabid Cougar
AG

From UR in Iraq.. Mentioned in Genesis 11:28. 3800 BC.

Been there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.