Gales of November Remerbered

1,713 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by one safe place
Gator92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
10 November 1975 Gales of November came early...

#SSEFO
Corporal Punishment
AG
Sad, sad story. One of the great ballads in pop music history.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It's been stuck in my head since yesterday. Amazing it's been nearly 50 years.
one safe place
When I was 18 or 19 and lacking very much in the way of common sense, I helped my father and a friend of his bring a pretty large shrimp boat out of the Gulf across the bay and up a river to dock during a tropical storm. The rain mostly blew sideways, stung like hell and much of the journey was done by compass. That was enough to prevent me from ever wanting to be on a ship in the Great Lakes or Bering Sea. I just cannot wrap my head around what the crew of the Fitzgerald went through, nor the crab fleet in the Bering Sea.
RGV AG
AG
I was so busy with work and stuff that I hadn't gotten on TA, I usually remember the day as that song captivated me as a kid. A through and through tragedy.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Lost other ships in 1933 and 1913 in the same area on the same date, November 11, and the same day of the week, Tuesday.
Smeghead4761
I'll note that at 711 feet long at the waterline, and 75 feet wide, the Edmund Fitzgerald was almost the size of a WWII aircraft carrier. Big ship.
one safe place
Smeghead4761 said:

I'll note that at 711 feet long at the waterline, and 75 feet wide, the Edmund Fitzgerald was almost the size of a WWII aircraft carrier. Big ship.
Yes indeed, that is big. In that bad weather I would keep reminding myself of that while feeling that I was in a jon boat! Being on big water like that, in winter weather, doesn't appeal to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.