Divers find 25 foot piece of the Challenger Space Shuttle

4,571 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by milner79
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/challenger-space-shuttle-artifact-found-florida-ocean-divers-history-channel/
Rex Racer
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Wow. I was under the impression that they had recovered most of the wreckage back in '86. Especially surprising to read about such a large piece not having been recovered.

As an aside, I'm really glad the author of that article pointed out that this was the last time the Challenger was launched. -_-
Rabid Cougar
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Wow. I was under the impression that they had recovered most of the wreckage back in '86. Especially surprising to read about such a large piece not having been recovered.

As an aside, I'm really glad the author of that article pointed out that this was the last time the Challenger was launched. -_-
Only 40% of Challenger and less than 30% for Columbia recovered are numbers that are stuck in the nebulous information file in my mind.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Only 40% of Challenger and less than 30% for Columbia recovered are numbers that are stuck in the nebulous information file in my mind.

Columbia makes sense to me given it broke up on re-entry (as an aside, I had to drive from Dallas to Houston that morning and drove past a large field just outside of Corsicana with multiple smoking objects in it. Many cars had pulled over to view the scene as everyone realized what it was. That was very surreal.)
But Challenger, given the relatively low altitude and the scrabble to find answers….that number just stupefies me!!
BrazosBendHorn
Rabid Cougar said:

something that sticks in my mind from the Challenger disaster is this quote, supposedly from someone involved with the recovery of the crew: "We found some of all, and all of some."

(I haven't been able to verify this on the internet, but I remember it from that time. I'm very sure the person who said it was speaking anonymously)
agsalaska
AG
I always found it strange that NASA buried the remains of Challenger in some derelict silos in Florida.

Not sure what I would expect them to do. Just found that odd.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
eiggA2002
AG
Most believe that the astronauts survived the initial explosion as the crew cabin was intact and they likely blacked out due to the g-forces from falling towards the ocean (I really hope that they did) or they were alive at impact. That has creeped me out for decades. As a side note, my mother taught McNair's daughter in pre-school shortly after the tragedy. I don't think she remembered very much of her father.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Supposedly there's recorded conversation with them after the explosion.
BrazosBendHorn
eiggA2002 said:

Most believe that the astronauts survived the initial explosion as the crew cabin was intact and they likely blacked out due to the g-forces from falling towards the ocean (I really hope that they did) or they were alive at impact. That has creeped me out for decades. As a side note, my mother taught McNair's daughter in pre-school shortly after the tragedy. I don't think she remembered very much of her father.
Evidently 3 of them were conscious long enough to manually activate their emergency air packs …
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-07-29-mn-19581-story.html
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that before.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://apnews.com/article/d44f686c7d1b26c8dc24fe85c4b720ae

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3116814/challenger-crew-survived-explosion-capsule-crashed-atlantic-ocean/
TXTransplant
agsalaska said:

I always found it strange that NASA buried the remains of Challenger in some derelict silos in Florida.

Not sure what I would expect them to do. Just found that odd.

There is a book called Bringing Columbia Home that talks about why NASA made certain decisions regarding the wreckage from both shuttles. It's worth the read.

There is now a very moving display with two large pieces of wreckage - one from each shuttle - at Kennedy.
Waltonloads08
AG

Rabid Cougar said:

Columbia makes sense to me given it broke up on re-entry (as an aside, I had to drive from Dallas to Houston that morning and drove past a large field just outside of Corsicana with multiple smoking objects in it. Many cars had pulled over to view the scene as everyone realized what it was. That was very surreal.)
But Challenger, given the relatively low altitude and the scrabble to find answers….that number just stupefies me!!

our family farm near Nac was in the debris field, feds came out and scoured the place and got most everything, but we find aluminum from time to time in the woods.

my father had thought the propane tank about 20 yards from the house had exploded it was so powerful. He was extremely confused until he saw the contrails of debris in the sky and things began to hit the ground. Keep in mind 9/11 was still pretty fresh in peoples mind, so then he assumed an airliner was bombed. TV picked it up pretty quickly IIRC. He called me at home in Houston and told me to turn on the TV. Terrible day.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

our family farm near Nac was in the debris field, feds came out and scoured the place and got most everything, but we find aluminum from time to time in the woods.

my father had thought the propane tank about 20 yards from the house had exploded it was so powerful. He was extremely confused until he saw the contrails of debris in the sky and things began to hit the ground. Keep in mind 9/11 was still pretty fresh in peoples mind, so then he assumed an airliner was bombed. TV picked it up pretty quickly IIRC. He called me at home in Houston and told me to turn on the TV. Terrible day.

Wow. I assume y'all notify NASA or some other agency when you find those pieces? Thanks for sharing.
Waltonloads08
AG

Waltonloads08 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Wow. I assume y'all notify NASA or some other agency when you find those pieces? Thanks for sharing.

We did, local FBI. He basically told us to not bother calling with small stuff about 10 years ago. It's been 20 years and theres no mystery, so not much to do with it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Interesting. I figured they'd want as much back as possible even through there's no mystery left to be solved.
Do y'all just keep the pieces in a scrap bucket or what?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Columbia News Report

Was driving down a county road in northern McLennan County that morning. Had seen numerous shuttles returning, contrails from horizon to horizon. When there were multiple contrails ,just as you see in the video, I knew something was wrong.

tmaggies
AG
Was part of the large Columbia search team and will never forget it.
gigemhilo
AG

Rabid Cougar said:

We drove from Austin to Tyler that day, and between Palestine and Frankston saw several places along the road where DPS had roped off smoking wreckage and were sitting there guarding it. It was crazy to see it on TV that morning, then drive through the area.
milner79
I was sitting on the floor in Fort Worth reading the paper that Saturday morning when the whole house sort of shook for an instant. Like a sonic boom, only more intense. Later at our daughter's volleyball game, we learned the sad news.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.