21 October 1861 - Battle of Ball's Bluff

1,459 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you are ever around Leesburg, Virginia make an effort to visit the Ball's Bluff Battlefield. It is very cool little battlefield and is one of my favorites. My brother lives nearby and we do numerous "staff rides" when I go to visit as he lives basically within 2 hours of nearly every major and minor battlefield in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania

Map

It took place after the 1st Manassas with no more than 1,700 soldiers on either side. What was initially a reconnaissance in force by the Federals turned into a route of same force with over 1,000 soldiers killed, wounded or captured. Col. Edward Baker, a U.S. Senator from Oregon and commander of the California Regiment, was killed during the battle. The only sitting Senator ever to do so.

Battle of Ball's Bluff
one safe place
Had not heard of this battle but will put this on my list of places to visit. Thanks for posting this.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I've always appreciated Foote's description of the battle.

ETA- and if I remember correctly, was the impetus for the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.