What is the best book about Custer and battle of Little Big Horn?

6,858 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LMCane
TRD-Ferguson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, several local, state and federal entities have made attempts to have Comanche moved elsewhere all to be denied.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Junction71 said:

Correcto. Some Ag's know all the details. If I'm not mistaken the horse was stuffed and currently resides at KU Museum of Natural History.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Headquarters Seventh United States Cavalry, Fort A. Lincoln, D. T., April 10th, 1878. General Orders No. 7.
(1.) The horse known as 'Comanche,' being the only living representative of the bloody tragedy of the Little Big Horn, June 25th, 1876, his kind treatment and comfort shall be a matter of special pride and solicitude on the part of every member of the Seventh Cavalry to the end that his life be preserved to the utmost limit. Wounded and scarred as he is, his very existence speaks in terms more eloquent than words, of the desperate struggle against overwhelming numbers of the hopeless conflict and the heroic manner in which all went down on that fatal day.
(2.) The commanding officer of Company I will see that a special and comfortable stable is fitted up for him, and he will not be ridden by any person whatsoever, under any circumstances, nor will he be put to any kind of work.
(3.) Hereafter, upon all occasions of ceremony of mounted regimental formation, 'Comanche,' saddled, bridled, and draped in mourning, and led by a mounted trooper of Company I, will be paraded with the regiment.
By command of Col. Sturgis, E. A. Garlington, First Lieutenant and Adjutant, Seventh Cavalry."

His official keeper, the farrier John Rivers of Company I, Keogh's old troop, saved "Comanche's reputation" by answering more fully. Here is the gist of what the reporter learned (Bismarck Tribune, May 10, 1878):

Comanche was a veteran, 21 years old, and had been with the 7th Cavalry since its Organization in '66.... He was found by Sergeant [Milton J.] DeLacey [Co. I] in a ravine where he had crawled, there to die and feed the Crows. He was raised up and tenderly cared for. His wounds were serious, but not necessarily fatal if properly looked after...He carries seven scars from as many bullet wounds. There are four back of the foreshoulder, one through a hoof, and one on either hind leg. On the Custer battlefield (actually Fort Abraham Lincoln) three of the balls were extracted from his body and the last one was not taken out until April '77…Comanche is not a great horse, physically talking; he is of medium size, neatly put up, but quite noble looking. He is very gentle. His color is 'claybank' He would make a handsome carriage horse

Supposedly there were more than 100 cavalry horses that survived.. which is very plausible.
BQ78
AG
I guess KU has him because the 7th asked a prof there to do the taxidermy and he said he would waive the fee if Comanche stayed in Lawrence. He looks good in that picture.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
The book "Son of Morning Star" says numerous horses survived as well as a yellow bulldog.
OldArmy71
AG
Comanche the Brave Horse
Bighunter43
AG
Junction71 said:

Yellow Hair Custer wasn't mutilated. His brother Tom supposedly had his heart cut out and with the heart still quivering the Indian drank his blood. I guess you could say that was the ultimate "counting coup".

There was one survivor on or near Custer Last Stand Hill. Does anyone know who/what it was? Answer later unless someone knows.

The Indian was Chief Rain in the Face, and was supposedly done out of revenge for Tom Custer arresting him and having soldiers hold him while Tom beat him up two years prior to the battle......but Rain in the Face later denied cutting out his heart.
pilgrim82
AG
In addition to the three books mentioned on page 1, I'd give a good recommendation for "The Heart of Everything That Is" by Bob Drury. It details Red Cloud and his successful war against the US Army, including the Fetterman Massacre. It provides some background for how the Natives were emboldened and felt they could take on the "Wasichu" Army. Red Cloud was the only Native to defeat the US Army in a war, forcing peace on his terms.
water turkey
I've got a project up in that area near Myles City. Looking forward to spending some time at the battle ground.
AgRyan04
I was listening to History On Fire podcast and he specifically mentioned this book as being a bit liberal in its descriptions of the native's blood thirst to make the story seem juicier than reality.

It was already on my Need to Read list and I'm not sure where the truth actually falls but I'll still read it and compare the two trains of thought. I suppose there are a lot of books out there with extremes going both directions
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
thudler66
AG
In 1971 I visited Custer Battlefield National Monument. There I bought the book " The Custer Myth A Source Book of Custeriana" by Colonel W.A. Graham, USA Retired. It's described as the source book to end all source books on Custer and the Battle of the Little Big Horn. . In my opinion it the best source book on the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
Tylerag72
AG
One of the things we plan to do this summer when we visit the Little Bighorn Battleground is to go on a trail ride. It is led by Native Americans and tells the story from their perspective. I think the park rangers did something similar in the past, but not any longer. The battlefield belongs to the Indians and if I understand it correctly this is the only way you can access it apart from the designated trails. Has anyone else done anything similar?
AgRyan04
That sounds amazing

Edit: I confirmed this is still a thing....thank you for mentioning it, we're going to book for our trip up there this summer!

https://www.littlebighorntours.com/ride-little-bighorn-battle
AgRyan04
If you're interested, the History on Fire podcast has a number of related podcast episodes.....

Crazy Horse (episode 7, 8, 9, & 10)

The War for the Black Hills (episodes 16, 17, & 18)

Anything that Moves: The Parallel Stories of Sand Creek and My Lai (episodes 32a, 32b, & 33)

Tom LaForge - The Real Dances with Wolves (episode 95)

It takes a minute to acclimate to his accent but he does an excellent job.....it's enough material to let me continue to slowly build up to our trip this summer.

And we did book the tour through the website linked above, so thanks for that heads up!
Tylerag72
AG
Thanks, AgRyan04, I will listen to these soon. On a different note, you might be interested in visiting the only physical evidence still remaining of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It is called Pompey's Pillar, located near Billings, where Clark signed his name in a large sandstone formation. I think it's 20-30 miles from Billings. We plan to add it to our itinerary this summer.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Tylerag72 said:

Thanks, AgRyan04, I will listen to these soon. On a different note, you might be interested in visiting the only physical evidence still remaining of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It is called Pompey's Pillar, located near Billings, where Clark signed his name in a large sandstone formation. I think it's 20-30 miles from Billings. We plan to add it to our itinerary this summer.

A very neat place. Was there in 2006 during the Bicentennial. Did a weeks worth of programs there in 106 degrees in period clothing.

This coincidentally ties into the OP as Custer's command crossed the Yellowstone or camped across the river from Pompeii Pillar on their way to the their demise in 1876.
wildcat08
AG
pilgrim82 said:

In addition to the three books mentioned on page 1, I'd give a good recommendation for "The Heart of Everything That Is" by Bob Drury. It details Red Cloud and his successful war against the US Army, including the Fetterman Massacre. It provides some background for how the Natives were emboldened and felt they could take on the "Wasichu" Army. Red Cloud was the only Native to defeat the US Army in a war, forcing peace on his terms.
Second this. Excellent book.
AgRyan04
Thank you!

Adding it to the itenerary - we're staying 30 min from there for a night or two
AgRyan04
As we get further into planning this trip, just some heads ups....

Jewel Cave requires a tour reservation which goes on sale 30 days in advance

Windcave requires a tour reservation which goes on sale 120 days in advance

Custer State Park requires an entrance pass which goes on sale 90 days in advance

Devil's Tower requires an entrance pass - not sure when booking window starts but it was already open for our early July trip

Neither Mount Rushmore or Crazy Horse Memorial appear to offer advanced reservations/passes....same with Little Bighorn Battlefield, however it looks like if you have an annual NP Pass it covers your fee for it.
LMCane
Junction71 said:

I've read all the books mentioned. Evan Connell's Son of the Morning Star was, to me, the most impressive. The big question about LBH was whether Custer should have split his forces like he did. As it was, Benteen never got into the fight. Only Custer's 5 companies of around 40 men each were totally slaughtered. Were the opposing forces just too big and strong that everyone would have been killed if all together. Custer's scouts, everyone including native and white, forewarned him. An interesting fact is that this battle was fought on June 25, 1876, 9 days before the nations Centennial. A huge celebration was planned in Wash D.C. The battlefield results took a while to reach Washington but was there in time to put a huge pall over the events planned.

My book that I am writing is on Third Winchester 19 September 1864 in the Shenandoah. Custer was in charge of one of the cavalry divisions attacking from the North from Stephensons Depot along the Valley Turnpike.

at the exact same moment, Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes was attacking across Red Bud Run about 2 miles to the East.

Custer would be killed will all of his men in July 1876. Hayes would be elected President in November 1876.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.