Any cool Metal Detecting Finds?

2,580 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tibbers
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been doing it for a while lately.
Just modern coins, old iron, cool ring I wear now.

Yesterday though was a find of a lifetime.

Found a Confederate Infantry Button. Lots of activity in Hays county back during the Civil War. Took it to get looked at an Authenticated real.

Here are pics from Google what it looks like. Mine is not in this condition though but able to see the Limerick, design and Infantry "I" on the face of the button.

Back

Front

Also near where I found it I found a hunk of melted lead and a small Cork bottle.

Here is the History of the Limerick Clothing Company out of Ireland which sold the Confederates their uniforms. Ran blockades to get to the Confederates.
https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2010/05/11/clothing-the-confederacy-taits-of-limerick/
Learned a LOT in less than 24 hours!
TXAGBQ76
AG
My class ring
spud1910
AG
I bought some land a couple of years ago where my grandmother's uncle lived. My dad remembers going to the place as a boy, but the home has been long gone. I found a single bit ax and thought it was pretty cool to find something my ancestors used nearly 100 years ago.
BrazosDog02
AG
Yes. I grew up near Richmond and lived near property directly across from Richmond. My old man got a bug to start metal detecting when I was a boy, so he dropped a bunch of money and bought a couple of Fishers. Mine is a CZ-5 and I still use it. We ambled onto a brand new subdivision development at the time and metal detected the hell out of it while we were learning our machines. Then we started finding things…Spanish chalices, wierd brass buttons with eagles that had "I" and "A" on breast plates, buckles, and a lot of …. LOTS OF lead musket balls. Anyway, it was all legit civil war and older stuff. We hauled our bucket of stuff to a local historian meet somewhere and had it all explained to us. Really wild.

That spot is now underneath homes, pools, and backyards and no one there ever had a single clue. So much history in this world is lost to development.

Other than that it's been wore out coins at old home sites from the 1800s, class rings from school playgrounds, and lots of new coins….

Animal Eight 84
AG
I have a Confederate Cavalry campsite in my pasture.

My nice brother in law used to fool around with his pawn shop cheap metal detector but never found anything.

Feeling kinda sorry for him I dug a shallow hole one winter and buried half a dozen railroad spikes. To ensure he had a strong signal.
On top of the spikes was a layer of dirt then a fake human skull, I shot it once through the forehead.

Along with a metal dog tag on a bead chain my sister had made up.
It read Amelia Earhart. Los Angeles, USA.

That was 20+ years ago. He never found it.
Dogtag has probably corroded away.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Full clip of M1 blanks on our family property in Mineral Wells.

During WWII Camp Wolters expanded and the base utilized our property for training

I have M1 shells, hand grenades, rifle grenades, buttons, coins and flare parachutes from that era
The Fall Guy
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Yes. I grew up near Richmond and lived near property directly across from Richmond. My old man got a bug to start metal detecting when I was a boy, so he dropped a bunch of money and bought a couple of Fishers. Mine is a CZ-5 and I still use it. We ambled onto a brand new subdivision development at the time and metal detected the hell out of it while we were learning our machines. Then we started finding things…Spanish chalices, wierd brass buttons with eagles that had "I" and "A" on breast plates, buckles, and a lot of …. LOTS OF lead musket balls. Anyway, it was all legit civil war and older stuff. We hauled our bucket of stuff to a local historian meet somewhere and had it all explained to us. Really wild.

That spot is now underneath homes, pools, and backyards and no one there ever had a single clue. So much history in this world is lost to development.

Other than that it's been wore out coins at old home sites from the 1800s, class rings from school playgrounds, and lots of new coins….

Yea sucks to see history being paved over for a bunch of subdivisions. Lucky I found the button. On one area of undeveloped land.
one safe place
BrazosDog02
AG
You ever wonder what folks will think in 100 years when they are digging through campsites or trash? I think about that. 100 years, 500 years….1,000 years…pretty sure in 500 years max we will be a lost civilization.

I don't think they will look amongst our ruins with the same reverence that I do a stone tool when I find them in the garden.
The Fall Guy
AG
Yea on this site I have been at I have found the Confederate button, a Texas Militia button from 1901 to 1904, A bullet from the 1800s, 2 1940s wheat pennies, modern jewelry, modern clad coins, and a softball state championship ring from 2013 which I returned to the mother of the girl who lost it. The girl passed away in 2018 from a carwreck.

So much history in a small piece of Land.
annie88
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Been doing it for a while lately.
Just modern coins, old iron, cool ring I wear now.

Yesterday though was a find of a lifetime.

Found a Confederate Infantry Button. Lots of activity in Hays county back during the Civil War. Took it to get looked at an Authenticated real.

Here are pics from Google what it looks like. Mine is not in this condition though but able to see the Limerick, design and Infantry "I" on the face of the button.

Back
[img]<br />[/img]
Front

Also near where I found it I found a hunk of melted lead and a small Cork bottle.

Here is the History of the Limerick Clothing Company out of Ireland which sold the Confederates their uniforms. Ran blockades to get to the Confederates.
https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2010/05/11/clothing-the-confederacy-taits-of-limerick/
Learned a LOT in less than 24 hours!

That sounds like fun. Your images aren't showing for me so I'm curious as to what they are.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Agthatbuilds
I've been wanting to get into detecting ever since I watched The Detectorist which is a random quirky British TV series.

Aldo follow this guy on instagram:

https://instagram.com/westernfront_battlefields?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He does stuff on the western front and finds all sorts of things from ww1 and ww2.

Problem is, I dont know where to start
The Fall Guy
AG
My son got the detector from his grandfather and I bought it from him. Bounty Hunter for 80 bucks. They can go up to 4,000 dollars. I just threw some coins on the ground and other metals and practiced with the sounds they made. Read the manual also. I went to the city parks and then to a school area where I found all the items. Schools are considered public property. Just have to be a good steward and not dig big holes. Just plugs.
The Fall Guy
AG

These are not the ones I found. Just pics off the internet. The Confederate Infantry button is in decent shape and the Texas Militia Button 1901-1904 is in good shape. Can see the star and the Texas letters.
Tibbers
Well heck, I have a pretty nice metal detector. I should go out and look for stuff one day!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.