Finding the Medina Battlefield site

4,643 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by aalan94
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://sanantonioreport.org/finding-medina-podcast-episode-13-brandon-seale/?amp

Quote:

After 12 episodes and a long search that came tantalizingly close to locating the lost battlefield of the 1813 Battle of Medina, podcaster Brandon Seale returns with another installment of Finding Medina.

Seale is calling his 13th episode "Digging Medina," in honor of American Veterans Archaeological Recovery, known as AVAR, whose help made an archaeological-style dig possible. A dozen armed forces veterans volunteered to help Seale with the meticulous process of searching multi-acre parcels near the likely battlefield location along the Bexar-Atascosa County line.

"Who better to find the lost battlefield than a bunch of veterans, and a bunch of veterans trained in archaeology," Seale says early on in the 130-minute episode.

An AVAR participant is then heard explaining why walking acres with a metal detector and headphones, then carefully digging each time the detector pings, is a good activity for veterans.

"Archaeology is a lot like military service. We have a shared mission that we're all pulling together in order to reach," the unidentified veteran says. "We're working outside with our hands, we're on a pretty tight-knit schedule, so we've got that stability and solidity to the day. And of course, we're working alongside other veterans who have the same values that we do. So in a sense, it's like military service without the shooting."

Shooting is the key to finding the battlefield, however. Each time a detector signaled during the February search, Seale and his team hoped to find bits of iron or lead buried in the dusty soil.

Musket shot is one potential signal of a battlefield, but grapeshot from cannons is a much clearer indicator of firefights like the Battle of Medina. Mexican Royalist forces used cannons and cavalry to repel a revolt by the Republican Army of the North, a band of Tejanos, Native Americans, and "Anglo Americans who joined the fight after leaving the United States in 1812 just as it was under attack from its old imperial master," Seale wrote in a description of the 2019 introductory episode.

As "Digging Medina" reveals, grapeshot was found in more than one location, drawing Seale ever closer to finally pinpointing where the lost battlefield might be. The new evidence will be presented at the Atascosa County Historical Commission's annual Battle of Medina Symposium, to be held Aug. 20 from noon to 3 p.m. at 25 E. 5th St. in Leming.

CanyonAg77
AG
Didn't aalan94 do some research on this? Or was it some other history board poster?
aalan94
AG
Yes, this is the topic I wrote my book about. Although my book has no focus on the actual search to locate the battlefield. That topic basically took the 1980s book off the rails, and while it's interesting, you can't tell the story of the conflict properly while focused on it.

I know Brandon well, and I think he's doing a great thing bringing attention to this. I went out with him and his team early this year and saw some of the archaeological field work they were doing and gave a quick talk about the battle to the team. It's low budget, but well-organized and has some credentialed archaeological folks behind it. They found some stuff, which is potentially exciting, although it's a battlefield that would have stretched over many miles. My sense is the focus is probably a little too far south of the actual site, but again, I've tried to stay out of that archane debate to focus on the actual history of the war, how it came about and what its long-term effect on Texas was.

Update on the book, it's still scheduled for publication next year, so it's all a long wait.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Nothing intelligent to add but this is cool!
Ciboag96
https://sanantonioreport.org/munitions-artifacts-point-to-location-of-1813-medina-battlefield/

aalan94
AG
This is in a good high likelihood area, but more proof is needed. The battle was a running fight and may have stretched out over anywhere from 4-10 miles. The majority of the action took place where the republicans ran into the Spanish lines. I suspect, based on what I've seen, that they haven't found that spot, but could be anywhere in the larger area. I do think the area down near Leming is too far, and the area near the river, which may be where the battle began with a skirmish, is also not far enough. This area is roughly in the middle so close. But I think if you found the actual battle line you'd find more shot, etc. It is hard for a number of reasons, including the very sandy soil, which encourages rapid decay of both iron and bone. So you might not find that perfect site. I think Brandon's team is as close as anyone has ever been.

By the way, book update, we're looking at January ish to be availale for sale.
PabloSerna
AG
I just finished the Podcast on Finding Medina and was blown away at how important this event was to the later stages of Texas Independence.

Looking forward to your book. Will it be available at some point on Audible?
aalan94
AG
Not sure. Actually, I'm good friends with Brandon, who did this podcast. He did an audiobook version of the Jose Ruiz biography. Have considered seeing if he'd do my book, since I have a voice that's perfect for print journalism.

By the way, A&M Press is pushing back the actual printing of the book until April. If you pre-ordered, you're still in good shape, but it will arrive later. This is unfortunate, because I wanted to have it physically at hand for the Texas State Historical Association meeting, but we'll have to go with flyers, handouts, etc. It's the nature of the business.
PabloSerna
AG
That would be cool- he reads well and I have enjoyed the production by his team.

I'm doing some work with THC at the Washington on the Brazos Historic Site. Do you have any book suggestions?
aalan94
AG
In terms of the Battle of Medina period, they will all be obsolete after April. So the only one I recommend is mine. Available now on pre-order.

The Lost War for Texas: Mexican Rebels, American Burrites, and the Texas Revolution of 1811

Seriously, Forgotten Battlefield still has the best discussion on the location of the battlefield. I pretty much stay out of that rabbit hole in my book.

As for other Texas history books, anything approved by Michelle Haas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.