Post your Pictures from Historical Locations

4,592 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Gator92
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Visited about 30 battlefields around the world so far.

this could be the official thread for pictures of famous historical sites
CanyonAg77
AG
Adobe Walls

CanyonAg77
AG
Trinity site and McDonald Ranch House

CanyonAg77
AG
Monument Rocks, Kansas

CanyonAg77
AG
Andrew Johnson home, Greenville, TN

JABQ04
AG
Texas Monument at Chickamauga

Texas Monument at Antietam

Path through Millers Cornfield at Antietam

Looking from observation tower down Bloody Lane at Antietam

Burnsides Bridge at Antietam

Harpers Ferry, WV. Federal Armory John Brown was captured in (has been moved a hundred yards or so from original site)

Harpers Ferry (Loudoun Heights)

Sharpshooters Nest at Devils Den Gettysburg

Little Round Top looking towards Devils Den area (sorry for the crappy pic quality)

Devils Den looking towards Little Round Top
BQ_90
AG
Lookout mountain

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Path through Millers Cornfield at Antietam
As a farmer, I'm always fascinated that people are still farming those battle sites. Makes you wonder how many artifacts have been plowed up over the years.

I found a bit of Alibates flint on one farm, that's the best I've done.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Monticello

Mount Vernon

Monument at Valley Forge

HollywoodBQ
AG
Great pix. I'll have to think about what to add.

Most of my historical sites were shot on Kodachrome and are probably in a box at my parents house. The main digital ones I have aren't that old and are typically still in use - VMI Barracks, St. Stephens Cathedral in Vienna, etc.
BQ78
AG
Have these on my TexAgs profile, might add some more from my personal PC when I get on there later:

The pub in Plymouth, UK where the Mayflower was moored supposedly in the women's room:

The Distillery that makes gin for the British Navy, heavily bombed by the Germans in WW2, it was the inn where the Pilgrim men stayed while in Plymouth and it was a monastery seized by Henry VIII from the Church.

Place where the pilgrim women stayed while in Plymouth it's about .333 miles from the distillery:

Statue of Francis Drake on the Plymouth Hoe where he directed the English fleet against the Spanish Armada and legend says he bowled while doing so:

Plum Creek at the spot where the Texican Army moved into the creek bed to ambush the Comanche:

The plain area where the Texican's initiated their ambush at Plum Creek, the tree line is where the creek is, the Comanche, under Buffalo Hump, were moseying next to the creek on the plain headed back to the Hill County after sacking Linnville and Victoria (right to left in this scene):

The copse of oaks where Huston had Texican militia and volunteers form a Napoleonic Square!:

The spot where the Lakota sprang their ambush on Fettermen's troop near Fort Phil Kearny, worst massacre of US troops by native Americans until this yellow haired feller rode from a place called Wier's Point in Montana about 100 miles away in the direction the camera is facing:

Cen-Tex
AG

The desk clock of Chaplain Thomas Kirkpatrick of the USS Arizona. The clock stopped at the time bombs hit the ship.

Oil rising to the surface from the USS Arizona

JFK assassination limo in the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Michigan

Jackson Brewery in the French Quarter, New Orleans. One of the largest breweries in the South. Operated until 1974. Famous for brewing Jax Beer.

CanyonAg77
AG
Harry Truman boyhood home, Grandview, MO

CanyonAg77
AG
Fort McHenry. And Star Spangled Banner

Bighunter43
AG
Lincoln County Courthouse and stairs inside where the Kid shot Deputy Bell.

Bighunter43
AG
Bonnie and Clyde death site!
Bighunter43
AG
Lookout Mountain!
Bighunter43
AG
Ford's Theater and Gettysburg!

Hogties
AG
4 perspectives of Omaha Beach.

Low tide looking at the heights in front of you.

Looking left down Omaha Beach

Looking right down Omaha Beach.

Looking down on Omaha from the heights where the Germans were. The tide had come in by the time I got up there so the beach is greatly shrunk from low tide.

The scale of the beach and the battle space of D-Day can only be appreciated in person. It's breathtakingly large.

p_bubel
Vicksburg

p_bubel
Mission San Jose

TheSheik
AG
the church at Shiloh

Albert Sydney Johnston death site at Shiloh

The Peach Orchard at Shiloh

Bloody Pond at Shiloh

one of my favorite battlefield visits
Bighunter43
AG
Great pics of Shiloh! Been there twice myself...just has that something "in the air" feel about it!
Agthatbuilds
I dont usually take a lot of pictures but have this one- one of the alleged final resting places of alamo defenders
BQ78
AG
If the Alamo defenders are buried there, who's buried in the San Fernando crypt? And if this is a lost site, why is there a sign?
Agthatbuilds
Story goes only some of them were buried in the cathedral.

JABQ04
AG
If I remember my Alamo geography correctly this "May" be the group of defenders who made a break for it and were caught out in the open somewhere East/South East of the Alamo
tmaggies
AG
Santa Fe Trail ruts and Quahna Parker's Star House.

CanyonAg77
AG
Where are the Santa Fe Trail ruts? I've seen them in Kansas City, Dodge City, Fort Union, and a couple of places along the Cimmaron cutoff in New Mexico, such as McNees crossing
tmaggies
AG
Near Lakin Kansas on the mountain route. Followed them from Dodge City to La Junta area in Colorado.

CanyonAg77
AG
I can't find my Santa Fe Trail photos right now, but I did find an old post where I discussed the Cimarron Cutoff and Folsom Man. You might enjoy it, and it might give you some ideas for your upcoming trip.

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/3159209/replies/58026021
tmaggies
AG
Yessir always enjoy more history! Found a teepee ring in Picketwire Canyon on that same trip. Had a ranger tell me the location and after about an hour we found it. We also located some Comanche rings and drawings near the Rio Grande not far from Taos. Was a great road trip with my son after he graduated from A&M.
Bighunter43
AG
How did get to go inside Quanah's Star House? That's awesome!!
BQ78
AG
If you go to the Honey Hill Battlefield in Oklahoma the old Military/Texas Road from Ft. Scott to Ft. Gibson on to Texas is still very evident.
BQ78
AG
Indeed, really looks like it is in danger of being lost.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.