Grandad's WWII Photos

3,658 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Russ Dalrymple
chickencoupe16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took these a couple of years ago while going through some boxes I inherited from my grandad. One day I will have these scanned in at a high quality and eventually get the awards and patches put in a shadow box. I have no idea where the pictures came from, he could have bought them after the war for all I know. I don't know a ton about his personal service because he rarely talked about it with my dad and I was young when he died. Dad contacted several 101s veterans after my grandad's death in the early 2000s, but couldn't find anyone who had known my grandad. And unfortunately, his service records burned in 1973.

What I do know is that he served in the 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. I believe his company is listed in the mailing address on the box his 101st Currahee scrapbook was shipped in, but I'll have to check on that. No, it wasn't Easy. He joined the 101st as a replacement after Normandy, took shrapnel to the ass from a tank shell while crawling in a ditch during Market Garden, returned for The Battle of the Bulge, and, I believe finished the war in Austria with the 101st. He was briefly called back to the Army after he returned and spent a little over a year at Fort Hood.

I have IDed the ribbons and medal as (2) WWII Victory, (3) Army Good Conduct, (2) Purple Heart, European-African-Middle East Campaign with 3 Campaign Stars, (2) Presidential Unit Citation. I can't figure out the right ribbon on the bar of three (the one touching the medal). Any ideas?

ABATTBQ87
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Any ideas?

3 of those pictures are of German Soldiers
chickencoupe16
AG
Yeah, I got that but I'm not sure how he would have acquired them. Like I said, he could have bought them after the war, taken them off of soldiers, found them in a house, I don't know. It may be possible to determine a location or date of the graves if the original is high enough quality which might help in deciding how my grandad came to possess them. None of the photos have writing on the back to help out.
ABATTBQ87
AG
What is the date on the grave marker in that first picture?
chickencoupe16
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

I'll have to dig the pictures out of storage. I took these in 2019 and just came across them today while I was cleaning my phone out. It'll probably be Monday before I can get to the originals.
JABQ04
AG
Can you give his name? I can run it through some websites tonight at work if it's slow.
Gator92
AG
Maybe taken by him in occupied Germany/Austria? I don't see any side arms or weapons.

I have similar pictures of my Uncle in Pac theater. Same prints w/ scalloped edges.
Bregxit
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

First pic is in Russia during Barbarossa.

Marker in the picture is for German private Wilhelm Breitmar, died in Kelkolovo Russia 10/23/41, age 28. Buried in Sologubovka Russia.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/149349187/wilhelm-breitmar

JABQ04
AG
I believe the ribbon that you mentioned is the American Campaign Medal, albeit heavily faded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Campaign_Medal

The German with the badge on his left sleeve is an OberShutze (roughly equivalent to our Private First Class)
BQ78
AG
Looks like Grandad captured a German's photo album
fasthorse05
When I saw the boots, my first thought was Russian, until I slowed down to take a look.

Pretty amazing.
aalan94
AG
Wehrmact guy on the right in the pic with the women has a diamond insignia on his sleve. Not sure. Could be a combat arms designator or something. That's the only thing I see.
USAFAg
AG
JABQ04 said:

I believe the ribbon that you mentioned is the American Campaign Medal, albeit heavily faded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Campaign_Medal

The German with the badge on his left sleeve is an OberShutze (roughly equivalent to our Private First Class)

He also has the "wound ribbon" diagonally in his button hole. German version of a Purple Heart

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
USAFAg
AG
aalan94 said:

Wehrmact guy on the right in the pic with the women has a diamond insignia on his sleve. Not sure. Could be a combat arms designator or something. That's the only thing I see.

It's his rank. An Obersoldat. Essentially a PFC Edit: I see JABQ already said that.

The chevron on the sleeve indicates he's some variant of Corporal. They had like four different types depending on whether it had one or two chevrons or had some sort of a device in the middle.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
JABQ04
AG
Not seeing a ribbon on his buttonhole, but the Germans had an actual badge for wound. (Black, silver, gold depending on the number of times wounded). The ribbon that would get tucked into their tunic at the button hole is the Iron Cross 2nd class.

ETA. Never mind. Seeing the 1st picture of the man over the grave. The man with the PFC rank is in two pics. One with his family (or what appears to be family) and again sitting over the front tire of the armored car.
JABQ04
AG
Uniform belonging to a Danis h SS volunteer killed in Russia in 1942.

This tunic has the Iron Cross II class ribbon tucked into the buttonhole along with another sewed. The far right badge in gold is the wound badge in gold for suffering 5+ wounds in combat. Also has the tank assault badge too.

Woundbadge in black. 1 or 2 wounds in action.

chickencoupe16
AG
I finally had a minute to look for the box in the closet and found everything again. I have not been able to find a reference to which company he was in. From the graves picture, I was able to make out: "Wilh. Breitmar 30.7.1913-21.10.1941" and "Helmut Kumutat ??.??.1918-21.10.1941".

The unknown ribbon is pictured below at a much higher quality. The next photo is a 4th Army patch and an emblem with "Royal Marines" written on it. I assume the Royal Marines device was acquired at some point in England.

Also pictured is a photo of his basic training company. On the photo is "4-15-44", "CoD66-TR-BN-Camp Fannin-Tex", and "Moorhead heard Gladewater, Tex". I'm assuming that's the graduation date (I know he entered the Army on 2-21-44), Company D, 66th Training Battalion at Camp Fanning, and the photography company.

chickencoupe16
AG
JABQ04 said:

Can you give his name? I can run it through some websites tonight at work if it's slow.

Sorry that I missed this until now. Joe Richard "Cotton" Stanley. The shipping address for the 101st Scrapbook shows his rank as Private, so I'm assuming that is the rank he ended World War 2 with.
JABQ04
AG
Can you give his name? My best guess from the info you gave and pictures is he took a photo album from a German family in Dormagen, Germany. Dormagen is where Wilhelm Breitbart was from and I've just read a report of Ronald Speirs and Easy Co being in Dormagen and then visiting Cologne to see the effects of Allied bombing on the city. I know you said he wasn't in Easy Co, but highly stands to reason more the. 1 company was over there. This would have all been shortly before the move down to Bavaria as seen in BoB.

Like I said if you can give his name up it would help alot or if you want to use and pay for Fold3 you can find all this out too.
JABQ04
AG
Thanks
chickencoupe16
AG
chickencoupe16
AG
JABQ04 said:

Thanks

I appreciate it! Fold3 tells me they have information for Helmut Kumutat behind their paywall. Would you mind sharing that too?
JABQ04
AG
Ill have to recheck when I get time but I did not see your grandfather listed with the 506 for having earned his arrowhead device for Market Garden. Found the awards memo for the entire regiment and didn't see his name. I very likely missed it as who ever typed it up was a madman and did not go in alphabetical order. I'll go back over it tomorrow or this weekend if work is slow enough. As far as the Germans, found a card about their death just giving basic info (name, where born, where died, unit). I'll post and share in a day or so when I get a chance.

*Translated from German obituary for Wilhelmina Breitmar

Original
JABQ04
AG
He was in H Company 3rd Battalion 506th PIR. (Not sure if you knew that already, and apologies if redundant)
chickencoupe16
AG
I did not! I think I've seen the company before, but I couldn't remember it and couldn't find it either. I certainly didn't know 3rd Battalion (edit: though I should have if I knew the company) Thanks!
chickencoupe16
AG
Anyone have any guesses on that ribbon? I can't find any that match, even among authorized allied ribbons.
JABQ04
AG
I almost think it's the American Campaign medal, and 99% the markings match. However the center of your ribbon has what appears to be a red and white stripe surrounded by blue while pictures of the medal has red, white and darker blue stripes surrounded by more blue. Obviously yours has faded some and age has taken a toll on its appearance so maybe that's it. Or could be a defect in the medal production.
chickencoupe16
AG
JABQ04 said:

I almost think it's the American Campaign medal, and 99% the markings match. However the center of your ribbon has what appears to be a red and white stripe surrounded by blue while pictures of the medal has red, white and darker blue stripes surrounded by more blue. Obviously yours has faded some and age has taken a toll on its appearance so maybe that's it. Or could be a defect in the medal production.

I think you're right. I didn't think so at first, but the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced. If you add yellow to each of the colors of the American Campaign Medal, you get my photo. I'll take a closer look at the ribbon when I get home, but looking at the photo, I can convince myself that I do see a slightly different green stripe where the dark blue should be. Thanks!
JoeAggie1010
Do you have where he enlisted, born, death date? Family relatives?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Could you find information about a friend's grandfather who served with the 82nd Airborne in WWII?
JABQ04
AG
I can try. Send me what info you have please and I can look this evening.
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

I can try. Send me what info you have please and I can look this evening.

Bert Lamb Watson 82nd Airborne
JABQ04
AG
Is Bert short for something? Robert? Albert? Also do you know where he is at least buried? Coming across several Watsons in the 82nd with L as a middle initial but no one named Bert.

The most likely candidate is a gentleman born in OK, buried in Tarrant County and died in 1993, at least for now anyways. You can email me at username@gmail if you don't want to share some info online
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

Is Bert short for something? Robert? Albert? Also do you know where he is at least buried? Coming across several Watsons in the 82nd with L as a middle initial but no one named Bert.

The most likely candidate is a gentleman born in OK, buried in Tarrant County and died in 1993, at least for now anyways. You can email me at username@gmail if you don't want to share some info online
email sent
Russ Dalrymple
AG
I've got quite a few things from my grandfather when he fought in the Pacific.

Have a copy of his personal account from the Battle of Okinawa, a Nambu pistol that he took off a Japanese officer, along with a few other things.

I know some wouldn't talk about what they saw during the war but I'm fortunate that my grandfather was willing to tell his stories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.