Battle of Guadalcanal

2,345 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Animal Eight 84
Texarkanaag69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for books on this battle. Much appreciated.
Kaa98
Guadalcanal by Richard Frank is one of the more (if not most) thorough of the campaign. I thought Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfischer did a great job on the various naval battles.
Smeghead4761
Islands of Destiny by John Prados covers the entire Solomons campaign, but Guadalcanal makes up the majority of the book.
dead
AG
The author of Helmet for My Pillow was deployed to Guadalcanal, though I'm not sure how much of it is covered in the book.

(It was also one of 3 stories explored in HBO's The Pacific)
some of yall need to take a break from texags before the internet brain worms set in for good
Rabid Cougar
AG
Morning Star Midnight Sun.
jkag89
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James D. Hornfischer
Texarkanaag69
AG
Thanks for your recommendations. Library to be enlarged a bit.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
My dad was on Guadalcanal. He never forgave Admiral Fletcher. Used to say "it's too bad his father didn't pull out like he did"!
Texarkanaag69
AG
TRD-Ferguson said:

My dad was on Guadalcanal. He never forgave Admiral Fletcher. Used to say "it's too bad his father didn't pull out like he did"!
What little I've read so far and what got me interested in the battle suggested there were several about whom that could be said. Those guys truly had the hind tit on almost everything. Your dad was a true hero among heroes.
But then I've never understood how MacArthur deserved the MOA after what he did to Wainwright and the men he left behind. Don't care if he was ordered to. Just my personal bias.
terata
AG
Not just your opinion TexarkanaAg, I thought MacArthur was a sycophantic, POS, and a glowing American moral coward.
mullokmotx
AG
Came across a book in the reading room at the Cushing Library titled "Hell's Islands The Untold Story of Guadalcanal" by Stanley Coleman Jersey. Has a lot of detail about the Japanese side of the land campaign.
Belton Ag
AG
Texarkanaag69 said:

TRD-Ferguson said:

What little I've read so far and what got me interested in the battle suggested there were several about whom that could be said. Those guys truly had the hind tit on almost everything. Your dad was a true hero among heroes.
But then I've never understood how MacArthur deserved the MOA after what he did to Wainwright and the men he left behind. Don't care if he was ordered to. Just my personal bias.

MacArthur receiving the MOH had as much to do with appearances and national morale than it did with MacArthur's actions. Marshall himself wrote the citation and recommendation to Roosevelt.
I Like Mike
AG
RIP James Hornfischer
fasthorse05
Texarkanaag69 said:

TRD-Ferguson said:

I grew up knowing about Wainwright because my mom and dad are from Arlington, and supposedly so is Wainwright, so I heard about him all the time.

I can't imagine how he survived that gawd awful imprisonment.
Animal Eight 84
AG
In 1943, the US Army published a 69 page restricted pamphlet titled " Fighting on Guadalcanal".

It is full of of lessons learned in the words of GI and Marines that fought the Japanese.
Including comments from Colonel Chesty Puller.

I have my Uncle's copy when he was a PFC in 1943. .

You can read a copy from Amazon Kindle for $1. Well worth the dollar and your time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075X1HS4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Some excerpt from Page 5

Platoon Sergeant J.C. L. Hollingsworth, Company H, Fifth Marines
"Some of our new men were so scared of our hand grenades when they were first issued that they jammed down the cotter pin. Then, later in action they could not pull the pin!".

Platton Sergeant George E. Aho, Company F, Fifth Marines, "In our training for this jungle warfare, we had a great deal of work in hand to hand individual combat, use of knife, jiujitsu, etc. With the exception of bayonet fighting we have not used this work. I have been in many battles since I hit this island and I have never seen anyone use it."

Marine Gunner E.S.Rust, Fifth Marines, " I hate to admit it, but it's the truth; when we got here, a lot of our young men were confused at night. They were not used to the jungle at night. They could not use their compasses at night, and we did not have enough compasses." We have learned that when we get off the beaten trails, it seems to confuse the Japs and we have better success"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.