Book recommendation on westward migration to Oregon

1,920 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by No Longer Subsribed
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any good book recommendations on the trip west during the 1800's detailing hardships /challenges?
BQ78
AG
Life, letters and travels of Father Pierre-Jean de Smet, S. J., 1801-1873 : missionary labors and adventures among the wild tribes of the North American Indians, embracing minute description of their manners, customs, games, modes of warfare and torture, legends, traditions, etc., all from personal observations

of course there is Ambrose's Undaunted Courage on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Not Oregon but Oregon Trail, Stewart's Ordeal by Hunger the story of the Donner Party.

Bighunter43
AG
BQ78 said:

Life, letters and travels of Father Pierre-Jean de Smet, S. J., 1801-1873 : missionary labors and adventures among the wild tribes of the North American Indians, embracing minute description of their manners, customs, games, modes of warfare and torture, legends, traditions, etc., all from personal observations

of course there is Ambrose's Undaunted Courage on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Not Oregon but Oregon Trail, Stewart's Ordeal by Hunger the story of the Donner Party.

No offense....but I thought the Donner's were trapped in the High Sierras on their way to California? (I know the trail follows the Oregon until it went past South Pass Wyoming)..
BQ78
AG
Thus why I said not Oregon but Oregon Trail, which they departed at Fort Bridger
Bighunter43
AG
BQ78 said:

Thus why I said not Oregon but Oregon Trail, which they departed at Fort Bridger

Got it!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman is interesting.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Wagons West by Frank McLynn. It's excellent.

Beware! There is a historical fiction series with the same main title…make sure you avoid those.
45-70Ag
AG
Just purchased this book on Amazon.
Jabin
Thanks. I just purchased it also. Looks great.
Tylerag72
AG
A book I really enjoyed was, "Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey". It's an unvarnished account of the journey told from the women's point of view, recording the hardships and challenges. It really describes the daily struggle of the trek.
BQ78
AG
Ttt for tamc1956ag
tamc1956ag
S
Enjoying undaunted courage!! thanks
dead
AG
Oregon specifically or westwards in general?
tamc1956ag
S
westward. indians, weather, etc. exciting
dead
AG
In that case, The Contested Plains by Elliott West is a good read about American expansion into Colorado, especially focusing on the gold rush and subsequent conflict between white settlers and the American Indians who lived there
Rabid Cougar
AG
"Undaunted Courage" is a novel.

I would suggest:
"Lewis and Clark Among the Indians" and anything else written by - James Rhonda
"Thomas Jefferson & the Stony Mountains: Exploring the West From Monticello" - Donald Jackson
"The Fate of the Corps: What Became of the Lewis and Clark Explorers After the Expedition"- Larry Morris
"Dear Brother" - James Holmberg

And of course "The Lewis and Clark Expedition; Day by Day" by Gary Moulton.

Col. Steve Austin
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

I would suggest:
"Thomas Jefferson & the Stony Mountains: Exploring the West From Monticello" - Donald Jackson
"The Fate of the Corps: What Became of the Lewis and Clark Explorers After the Expedition"- Larry Morris

Nope, not a novel at all. Although, it may have made for a more interesting read if it were a historical novel. I picked up a copy when visiting Pompey's Pillar last summer, and while it was a very good book and well written, it's not a "page turner".
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
BQ78
AG
I read the journals of Lewis and Clark many years ago but found my self confused most of the time about where they were exactly. That Moulton book in conjunction with it might have helped.
No Longer Subsribed
AG
Col. Steve Austin said:

Rabid Cougar said:

I would suggest:

Nope, not a novel at all. Although, it may have made for a more interesting read if it were a historical novel. I picked up a copy when visiting Pompey's Pillar last summer, and while it was a very good book and well written, it's not a "page turner".
I thought Undaunted Courage was outstanding. Another great read is The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West by David McCullough. Not about the Oregon Trail but still encompasses the idea of leaving civilization to enter a new world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.