On this day in 1777...

1,351 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vermont declared independence from both New York and the fledgling United States.

Though not recognized by the U.S. (with New York's claims being the primary obstacle), Vermont operated as and independent country until being admitted to the Union as the 14th state on March 4, 1791.

So, like Texas, Vermont was an independent country before it became a state, and, like Texas, the primary reason for the delay in becoming a state was internal U.S. politics.
AtlAg05
AG
I did not know that, now I'm curious if they formed a government. Guess I have some reading to do!
Sapper Redux
They did. It was modeled on Pennsylvania's 1776 constitution that was radically democratic for the time. While they always had an eye on admission to the US as a state, Ethan Allen also led discussions with the British about joining Quebec that were very advanced until American independence became the clear outcome. At that point, they feared being hemmed in on 3 sides by US states and they lacked the resources to survive as an independent nation.

The delay in joining was due to New York's claims, but also fears from Vermonters about disputed claims landing in Federal courts sympathetic to landowners in NY. They wanted the dispute settled before they officially requested statehood.
aalan94
AG
Yes, but an "independent country" recognized by no one. Puts them in the category of West Florida and California. Not real nations, but pretend micronations. Only Texas and Hawaii were "real" countries.
Sapper Redux
aalan94 said:

Yes, but an "independent country" recognized by no one. Puts them in the category of West Florida and California. Not real nations, but pretend micronations. Only Texas and Hawaii were "real" countries.

They had functional independence in a way that West Florida and California never had. They were also very close to recognition, or at least support, from the British. Given the nature of 18th century imperial recognition of states, I would say the situations aren't apples to apples.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.