What's your favorite book on the Texas Revolution?

2,749 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CyanideJenkins
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to compile a list of good books on the Texas Revolution. All recommendations are appreciated.
AgRyan04
Following
chick79
AG
"Three Roads to the Alamo" by William C Davis
"Lone Star Nation" by HW Brands

I enjoyed both but I don't know if these are detailed enough for what you are looking for.
BQ78
AG
What Chick said and add:

Hardin's Texan Illiad
Davis' Lone Star Rising
Crisp's Sleuthing the Alamo
Donovan's Blood of Heroes
Fehrenbach's Lone Star
Haley's Sam Houston
Pohl's San Jacinto
Dimmick's Sea of Mud

FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Thank you both. Appreciate your replies.
dcbowers
AG
Overlapping but slightly different subject: Do you have good book suggestions about the Old 300, San Felipe, and Stephen F. Austin's colony?

Thanks in advance.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ78
AG
Cantrell's biography of Austin
aalan94
AG
DC, that's the next book I hope to do after the current book that I've done. I really think there is so much more complexity to this story that gets lost in big survey books.

As for best books, BQ's list is a pretty good one. I still don't think there's a "perfect" Texas revolution book out there. Among other things, to do the story right, you have to shrink the Alamo down a little. It's the shiny object, but its not the whole war. I'd say Hardin's Texian Iliad is probably the best book out there. I need to reread that myself, it has been a long, long time.
jay07ag
AG
Lone Star Nation
dcbowers
AG
Growing up in central Texas, I knew lots of people, both black and white, who shared surnames of members of the Old 300. I suspect that some of them were descendent of the settlers or their slaves.

Much of my curiosity is based upon whereas both Austin and San Felipe being critically important to the establishment of Texas as an Anglo colony, both were gone by the end of 1836. I suspect your book will cover many areas of which I have interest, including tensions between settlers vs. speculators, War Party vs. Peace Party, Catholics vs. protestants, and Anglos vs. Mexicans vs. Indians. I am sure that there is much more complexity and subtlety of which I have no idea.

I would love to read your book.
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
aalan94 said:

DC, that's the next book I hope to do after the current book that I've done. I really think there is so much more complexity to this story that gets lost in big survey books.

As for best books, BQ's list is a pretty good one. I still don't think there's a "perfect" Texas revolution book out there. Among other things, to do the story right, you have to shrink the Alamo down a little. It's the shiny object, but its not the whole war. I'd say Hardin's Texian Iliad is probably the best book out there. I need to reread that myself, it has been a long, long time.

Gitter done!!!!
Buck Turgidson
Another vote for Texan Iliad
Cow Pie & Fries
Hardin's" Texian Iliad " should be in EVERY library
Texas Yarddog
AG
I am rereading the Texian Illiad right now. Great book and my favorite on the Texas Revolution.

I just recieved this book this Christmas, but I had a copy back in the early 2000's. My brother "borrowed" it during his second tour in Iraq. It never made the trip back with him.

I like to think some other Texan native found it, read it, and passed it on.
AgRyan04
Any recommendations for the best books on the Texas Rangers (non-fiction or historical fiction)?

Yesterday I picked up Texas Rangers by Walter Prescott Webb
BQ78
AG
Webb is older and some would say excessively glamorizes the rangers but it is a good starting point. Charles Robinson's The Men Who Wear the Star is a good one. Avoid at all costs anything published since 2018 it is the far left view of the rangers.
AgRyan04
Thank you!
CyanideJenkins
AG
chick79 said:

"Three Roads to the Alamo" by William C Davis
"Lone Star Nation" by HW Brands

I enjoyed both but I don't know if these are detailed enough for what you are looking for.

Not to derail the thread, but just about every historical documentary I watch; there's HW Brands giving context about something. The dude has to know everything about everything.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.