Simple answer.... NUTS!

2,337 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieZUUL
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On this day December 22, 1944.
The official reply was typed and delivered by Colonel Joseph Harper, commanding the 327th Glider Infantry, to the German delegation that had requested the American surrender at Bastogne. It was as follows:
--------
To the German Commander.
NUTS!
The American Commander.
------
The German major appeared confused and asked Harper what the message meant. Harper said, "In plain English? Go to hell."

I had the honor of being with Cougar Company, 2nd Battalion (No Slack) of the 327th Infantry at Fob Wright in Afghanistan. They took part in the famous Operation Strong Eagle III ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Barawala_Kalay_Valley][/url]Battle of Barawala Kalay Valley) on March 29 2011 which took place right across the Kunar Valley from ABAD.

I have always wondered if those young soldiers knew the long and storied history of their outfit all the while adding more history to it.
Kaa98
A man that eloquent has to be saved!
ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
I had the good fortune to travel to Bastogne as a side trip from a work trip to Frankfurt back in July 2017.

I flew Business Class on Etihad from Sydney, Australia to Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt, rented a car and drove to Bastogne. By the time I reached Bastogne, I was ready for lunch. Especially after getting road tripped through a field in Luxembourg while blindly following the navigation system in my rental Mercedes C180.

So I drive down this cobblestone main street and find a place to park. I get out of the car and I hear this cacophony of 4-wheelers which in Europe, they call Quads.

Turns out I had driven into the middle of the annual "NUTS Cup" held in Bastogne.

You can't see me in this video but I'm standing at the top of the hill looking down at the Quad bike parade which starts about the 3:10 mark.

Corporal Punishment
AG
I still don't understand why they chose they chose the words "nuts." Is that like grabbing your balls to insult someone? I feel stupid having to ask.

I would've been as confused as the kraut that received the message.

I also tripped to Bastogne. There's a great American war museum there that has incredible displays of vintage equipment from 1944…weapons, vehicles, clothes, etc.
74OA
AG
More: 1944
74OA
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

I still don't understand why they chose they chose the words "nuts." Is that like grabbing your balls to insult someone? I feel stupid having to ask.

I also tripped to Bastogne. There's a great American war museum there that has incredible displays of vintage equipment from 1944…weapons, vehicles, clothes, etc.
1940's slang.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Thank you.
HollywoodBQ
AG
74OA said:

1940's slang.
Today, we'd send the German Commander:

"I ain't tryna hear dat"
Jabin
Interesting that the word "nuts" has completely dropped from the vernacular as a negative or deprecating statement. It was still in fairly common usage while I was growing up.
74OA
AG
Jabin said:

Interesting that the word "nuts" has completely dropped from the vernacular as a negative or deprecating statement. It was still in fairly common usage while I was growing up.
Yeah, it was a groovy word for a while.
JABQ04
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

74OA said:

1940's slang.
Today, we'd send the German Commander:

"I ain't tryna hear dat"

Nah. Way more crass. Probably just some Newport smoking, Copenhagen dipping E4 telling him to "**** off" or to come
perform some sort of fellatio on them.
Jabin
74OA said:

Jabin said:

Yeah, it was a groovy word for a while.
terata
AG
terata
AG
I've wondered if McAulife's message was edited before sending it out. His PAO might've struck through the first part of it, " Hog my..."
Human beings understand reason compassion and dignity. Predators understand strength.
AggieZUUL
AG
I just rewatched Band of Brothers over the holidays. Probably one of the best series I've watched, certainly the best WW2 documentary (I get that extra drama was thrown in there). Wish our public schools would better-educate our children about this generation of badasses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.