Tell me about the beginnings of Northgate

14,509 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BTHOB-98
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was there all right, just across University from Crocker Hall. It played " Rocky Horror Picture Show" every night. Its other offerings weren't quite that high class. I guess I don't remember the Campus Theater, where was it?.
ABATTBQ87
AG
McInnis said:

It was there all right, just across University from Crocker Hall. It played " Rocky Horror Picture Show" every night. Its other offerings weren't quite that high class. I guess I don't remember the Campus Theater, where was it?.

Campus theater was right across university from Crocker Hall. FYI Crocker was an Aggie killed during WWI when a German sub torpedoed the ship he was on
McInnis
AG
OK, then what I'm thinking of as the Northgate Theater was named the Campus Theater. Just across the side road from it to the east was a hamburger joint that had pinball machines and lots of young pretty girls for employees. I don't remember what its name was but can sure remember what we called it. What was its real name?
BQ78
AG
Dead Solid Perfect?
McInnis
AG
BQ78 said:

Dead Solid Perfect?
Yep, thanks!
aggiejim70
AG
Then there was that wonderful night at the Campus Theater when the feature was "The Boys in the Band" and we had the fish up on stage to sing the the BQ song.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
harleyds2
AG
other bars around in the mid 70s. eastgate was sparkys that had a black light dance room
zachariah's greenhouse in an apartment complex out by post oak mall
watering hole. bar in the old aggieland inn on texas ave
peanut gallery
ptarmigan club
Whoop Delecto
AG
BQ78
AG
What was the real name, I know it became the Deluxe in the 80s but it was called something else in the 70s?
ABATTBQ87
AG
FearNoWeevil said:

BQ78 said:

Wonder when the tracks going right through campus were removed and why did they cut through campus?
Coal for the power plant. The boiler house built in 1916 is shown at the top of the map and makes up the heart of the current Central Utility Plant.
I found this image in the Battalion, dated March 2, 1932, and it shows the tracks on campus

Sgt. Hartman
AG
Never Cow Hop that I recall. 3C, Fort Shiloh, Youngbloods, Country Kitchen were our date spots for future rib and I.
Azeew
I would be surprised if The Chicken wasn't a General Store
ABATTBQ87
AG
Azeew said:

the Chicken was an old pool hall that was built in 1968:

Azeew
ABATTBQ87 said:

Azeew said:

the Chicken was an old pool hall that was built in 1968:

Thank you. Interesting.
combat wombat™
AG
I loved the chicken fried steak sandwiches at the Cow Hop. Was sorry to see it go.
RedAnimal12
ChipFTAC01 said:

When did dudleys open?
After the first group of people waiting to get a table at the Chicken gave up and went to the closest bar.
BTHOB-98
My wife and I met at the Dixie Chicken. She was buying beer for her underage friend. I observed the exchange and called her out on it. We started talking and 23 years later the road goes on forever and the party never ends.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.