Tell me about the beginnings of Northgate

14,687 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BTHOB-98
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
p_bubel
I imagine is started off as businesses catering to the students and teachers and I doubt a bar was among them at first.

For that you had to hitchhike (or later take the trolley) into Bryan I suspect.
BQ78
AG
Ol' Army Lou started Northgate to gouge the students who had no other place to buy things, Amazon just wouldn't deliver to the Comanche infested Brazos Valley.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
BQ78 said:

Ol' Army Lou started Northgate to gouge the students who had no other place to buy things, Amazon just wouldn't deliver to the Comanche infested Brazos Valley.
LOL'd at that!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
whoop1995
AG
Bottle cap alley was there when I was in the early '90's. Wasn't commercialized like is now but still known as bottle cap alley - lost my ring in the alley after dunking it at the chicken - 20 drunk Aggies crawling in bottlecap alley at night was a sight to see - a very nice young lady found it and I will be forever grateful - there is a fish Corp tradition with bottle caps and the battalion article dated 1996 says tradition going on for 34 years or more. I am sure it has to do with bottlecap alley.
BQ78
AG
Fish spurs to ride Peruna
whoop1995
AG
BQ78 said:

Fish spurs to ride Peruna
Peruna being a mascot from smu is what I just read. I read in another article that the Spurs had 100 bottle caps on them and upper class men would steal them and find areas for the fish to run and lose their "spurs" one by one. Simpson drill field must be full of them if one were metal detecting.

More "tasks to do" if Spurs were lost and count was below 100

Anyone ever get to ride? When did this start?
BQ78
AG
Peruna is the SMU mascot.

My fish spurs had 78 rowels on them for my class year. You had to wear them outdoors the week before the SMU game. Took them to Dallas for the game and gave them to my grandmother. She hung them in her closet and they were still there 20 years later when we cleared out the house after she died.

They were made out of wire hangers, boot straps and flattened bottle caps from bottle cap alley
whoop1995
AG
BQ78 said:

My fish spurs had 78 rowels on them for my class year. You had to wear them outdoors the week before the SMU game. Took them to Dallas for the game and gave them to my grandmother. She hung them in her closet and they were still there 20 years later when we cleared out the house after she died.

They were made out of wire hangers, boot straps and flattened bottle caps from bottle cap alley
When did this tradition start?
ABATTBQ87
AG
whoop1995 said:

BQ78 said:

When did this tradition start?

Started in 1925

OldArmy71
AG
I still have my fish spurs. And my senior ones, too.
whoop1995
AG
That's awesome! Nice job fellas! Thank you for the information! Wouldn't mind seeing a picture if you have one.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BQ78 said:

Those made such a distinctive sound that I can still hear some 30 years later.
Martin Cash
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I'm curious about a few things.. If you're reading this and happen to know something about any of the following, enlighten us.

• When was the first business established there? What was this business?
  • Was NG started as a bar district, or did it evolve towards that over time?
  • Was it policed heavily back in the early days? (This may be hard to know, I'd imagine)
  • Which current business there is the longest running?
  • How long has bottlecap alley been a thing?

I've often wondered what University Drive was called before A&M was a university.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
cbr
AG
Op's username describes many a late night northgate hookup.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Martin Cash said:

FAT SEXY said:

I'm curious about a few things.. If you're reading this and happen to know something about any of the following, enlighten us.

• Was it policed heavily back in the early days? (This may be hard to know, I'd imagine)

I've often wondered what University Drive was called before A&M was a university.
Highway 6
Martin Cash
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Martin Cash said:

FAT SEXY said:

I've often wondered what University Drive was called before A&M was a university. FM 60.
Highway 6
That's Texas Avenue. Talking about the street at North Gate.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
ABATTBQ87
AG
Martin Cash said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Martin Cash said:

FAT SEXY said:

I've often wondered what University Drive was called before A&M was a university. FM 60.
Highway 6
you are correct; maybe Highway 230/FM 50/60, according to these articles

https://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/SH/SH0230.htm
whoop1995
AG
Cool you can see the north gate of the campus in the first picture - trying to see when the post office was first made in the picture but kinda hard to figure out in all the usps websites
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Bottle cap alley goes back to at least my fish year of 84-85. I suspect it predates that too.
rugger74
AG
Bottle Cap probably started early 72-74 maybe when more bars opened ala The Chicken, because before then I think only AggieDen or Ralphs were places to drink.
Post removed:
by user
ChipFTAC01
AG
When did dudleys open?
BQ78
AG
It opened either right as I graduated or just after, 1978-80 I would say.
MAROON
AG
BQ78 said:

It opened either right as I graduated or just after, 1978-80 I would say.

You were close

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
BQ78
AG
I was pretty sure it was my senior year.
Rabid Cougar
AG

Bryan College Station -1919.

Actual website copy that can be enlarged.
MAROON
AG
The Chicken opened in 1974. I got to campus in 1979 and all those seemed old - so no idea if they took over another establishment or built it to look old.

I remember the old movie theatre, the 12th Man bar, the Alamo, The Chicken, Duddleys, and the Cow Hop, then Loupot's
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Rabid Cougar
AG

Bryan East 1962
Wellborn 1961
Rabid Cougar
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Martin Cash said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Martin Cash said:

FAT SEXY said:

Highway 6
you are correct; maybe Highway 230/FM 50/60, according to these articles

FM 60.
whoop1995
AG
Interesting tidbit/article I ran across about ole army Lou class of '32 and his bookstore - awesome Aggie

https://theeagle.com/news/business/born-in-aggieland/article_de3f3761-2848-5b05-9ca7-0223152f7a05.html

Loupot eventually moved his store to a rented building, which now houses the Dixie Chicken, Daugherty said. In 1971, the store moved to its current location at the corner of University Drive and College Main.

Also interesting fact is that Lou never graduated basically because he was an entrepreneur in his senior year and this affected his grades.

Follows up on what bq78 was saying up top.
Cen-Tex
AG
The bars at Northgate were too expensive for my budget. I'd usually get a 6-pack of Pabst from Skaggs Albertsons and party w/friends. Did go to the Peanut Gallery on Wellborn Rd a couple of times during my senior year.
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Those made such a distinctive sound that I can still hear some 30 years later.
We called in the "Fish squish."
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I started in 79 also. I never visited the Chicken that much. My watering hole was the Thirsty Turtle next door.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.