Recommended books about James Cook and Lord Nelson?

960 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ78
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am interested in learning more about both men and their exploits on the high seas.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
BQ78
AG
Can't help in this request but Cook was an interesting guy and I'd be interested in learning more about him.

I am currently reading a British history of the Napoleonic Wars and this guy isn't as keen on Nelson as you would think. He says Nelson in a combination of bad luck (weather) and ineptitude let the French fleet sail to Egypt and then couldn't find them when he actually beat them there. He then left the area to return to Gibraltar to .repair his fleet that was a mess. When he finally returned to Egyptian waters, he was so stressed out he had hardly slept or eaten anything for a month, he thought he had screwed up royally and ruined his career.

Then after the Battle of the Nile, he was too busy hob knobbing with the Queen of Naples and chasing Lady Hamilton's tail to cooperate with the other fleets, that were getting waxed by the French in the Mediterranean.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Which book is it you are reading about the Napoleonic Wars and do you recommend it? That's another area I'm interested in. I am currently reading "Ships of Oak - Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy" by Ronald D. Utt. There are lots of references to the Napoleonic Wars and Nelson in that book since there was a lot of overlap with the British tied up in two wars.

I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
BQ78
AG
Glover's The Napoleonic Wars: An Illustrated History 1792-1815. He seems to spend more time on the early coalitions but I am finding it easy but interesting reading. I read just over half of it in a day and plan to finish it on Saturday. I would recommend it as an introduction to the operational and strategic aspects of the war. I knew a little about it going in but it is informing me and he has some different takes from other books I've read. The chapter talking about the tactics and differences of tactics was good and clearly explained, i.e. the superiority of French artillery and skirmisher tactics along with the heavy column attacks versus the English emphasis on developing uniform arms and marksmanship in comparison. Book definitely doesn't short shrift the navy either.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Sounds good, thanks!
Col. Steve Austin
AG
I went ahead and ordered a used copy on Amazon for $2.99.
BQ78
AG
$2.99 well spent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.