Is the Alamo a big deal nationally?

5,595 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cen-Tex
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JABQ04 said:

I just listened to a podcast from the Uk and the Alamo was the subject. Granted it was a very very broad overview, but it seems like many people in the UK understand the basic concept thanks to Fess Parker, John Wayne and Billy Bob Thornton. There's also a movie I saw about an Alamo reenactment in England where they built an Alamo (plywood and 2 x4s) and recreated the battle. Looks like there were 3-400 people involved.
Various history topics draw interest from a disparate group of folks who find it interesting, imho, globally. For instance, Phil Collins is a huge alamo buff/has a bunch of memorabilia/artifacts I think. Maybe some of it is somewhat that this generation of Texans (such as Travis etc.) was largely composed of 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants from the british Isles, and from their perspective is related to the ongoing expansion of the 'Anglosphere' from a cultural perspective.

In Europe yes I think there is a 'big' contingent still even today who study both their history (TimeTeam was a great show), and sometimes our own up to/including through WW2 etc.

(FYI, if this is the one referenced, they also did a re-enactment later of San Jacinto, though their topics seem to be well scattered on a global scale.)
45-70Ag
AG
I taught history at Boston Latin in Boston for three years. At the time students took a history class on the states history. There was talk then of it being phased out, which is a real shame because that was a fun class to teach.
Koko Chingo
AG
BQ78 said:

I got Mission Soledad.
BQ78 - In the 80's, CA history was 4th or 5th grade. I got Mission Solano. I lived closer to Mission San Juan Bautista.

A lot of the missions are still used as Catholic churches. Me and my cousins as pallbearers almost dropped uncle Eddie coming down those tiny steps of Mission Dolores in San Francisco.
JSKolache
JSKolache
AG
Oops, bump.

25 yrs ago I'm standing in kitchen in Bath, England being introduced to a nice family of complete strangers with a buddy of mine. On their fridge, under a magnet, is a family photo with their kids standing in front of the Alamo. Proud moment!
45-70Ag
AG
I grew up in Illinois, i don't remember talking about it. We could have, just don't remember it.
Cen-Tex
AG
Not aware of any formal celebrations outside of Texas. There was a re-enactment in Weston-Under-Lizard in Staffordshire, England in June of 2017. The event was hosted by the local Masonic lodge. Four Alamo defenders….David Crockett, Almaron Dickinson, James Bowie and William Travis were Masons, as was Gen. Santa Anna.
BQ78
AG
So if they had just given old Santy Anna the high sign he wouldn't have had to kill them all.
Cen-Tex
AG
BQ78 said:

So if they had just given old Santy Anna the high sign he wouldn't have had to kill them all.
That's one of the stories why Sam Houston let the generalissimo live after his capture at San Jacinto. Houston was also a Mason.

Edit - William B. Travis and his small company of soldiers arrived at the Alamo 186 yrs ago today, Feb 3rd.
TXAG 05
AG
I'm sure that may have played into it, but I figured Santa Anna was worth more alive than dead as far as getting the mexican army out of Texas and ending the war.
Cen-Tex
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I'm sure that may have played into it, but I figured Santa Anna was worth more alive than dead as far as getting the mexican army out of Texas and ending the war.
You are probably correct. Several years after San Jacinto, Houston expressed that exact logic for sparing the general's life.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.