Book approved for publication

4,127 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cochrum
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday, the faculty committee of Texas A&M University Press voted to unamimously approve publication of my history book, "The Lost War for Texas: Mexican Rebels, the Burr Conspiracy, and the Texas Revolution of 1811."

The Lost War is a history of the 1811-13 revolution in Texas, a forgotten conflict that pre-dated the Alamo by 25 years. The revolution featured an army of several hundred Anglo-American volunteers who crossed the border and joined forces with Tejano and Mexican rebels to fight against the forces of Imperial Spain. It included five pitched battles larger than San Jacinto, and a seige seven times as long as the Alamo. It ended with a Spanish royalist victory at the bloody Battle of Medina, and a conquest that devastated Texas and left it struggling to survive. The crisis ultimately led the Spanish to approve a dangerous scheme to rescue Texas by importing Anglo settlers, under a proposal by Moses Austin.

I have been dreaming of doing this book for over 20 years. I went to graduate school on the GI Bill specifically to learn the tools of the historical trade to write it. After completing my masters thesis in 2016, I turned to writing this book, and have been working on it for the last five years. The first draft was finished on my deployment to Afghanistan, the second was completed in Australia.

I did not choose to work through A&M Press just because I am an Aggie. I have spent the last two years pitching to a variety of publishers. A&M simply had the best mix of experience in this field, interest in my book, and comfort for me. But I know it will feel good to see that aTm logo on my final product.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Congratulations on this huge achievement! Will be looking forward to reading it !
OldArmy71
AG
Congratulations! That is a real achievement and you are contributing something new to our knowledge. Well done!
BQ78
AG
Awesome, congratulations Aalan.

Say what you will about A&M and its decline, but the A&M press still is one of the best university presses in the country.
Rex Racer
AG
I want a copy! Congratulations!
danieljustin06
AG
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it. Please let us know when we can buy it.
JABQ04
AG
Can we get an autographed copy?
CanyonAg77
Jabin
JABQ04 said:

dcbowers
AG
JABQ04 said:

When and where is your book signing?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Congrats! Great accomplishment. Looking forward to reading it.
spud1910
AG
Congratulations! I can't wait to read it.
p_bubel
aalan94
AG
As I learned, this is a slow process. So I'll skip on predicting a date for a signing. But I'll definitely do as many of those as I can to promote it.
RGV AG
AG
Congratulations sir, that is awesome. You continue to impress.
Jaydoug
AG
I look forward to reading it!
Martin Cash
AG
Special collector's edition for TexAgs members??????
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Agthatbuilds
Kaa98
Congratulations!! Looking forward to learning more about this time in Texas history.
TheSheik
AG
congrats ! I look forward to it
YellAgs
AG
Before Christmas, or we talking 6 months out?
aalan94
AG
I think 6 months is more reasonable. They asked me to cut to a certain length and said take my time. I do have my images mostly squared away, although I need to find a cartographer to make a map. As I have learned in this process, nothing moves quickly.
TheSheik
AG
aalan94

do you know Don Frazier formerly of McMurry now at The Texas Center at Schreiner ?
I think he does a lot of his map for his books but would certainly know an alternative
dgrogers88
BQ78
AG
Don does great map work, there are some others that are very detailed and meticulous as well without being overly busy.

Aallan, are you involved in the effort to positively identify the battlefield? I understand the Veteran Archeology Team is joining with Find Medina team for their next archeological project.
aalan94
AG
The irony is another historian suggested Don too. I'll reach out to him.

I'm not directly involved in that group. It's not my main focus, because you can spend all your time looking for it and even if you ever find it, you probably won't get much in terms of relics. I wish them well, but it's probably going to be found in an archive before you find it on the ground. The locations I've seen vary so much.
LMCane
Mazal tov!

I am hopefully going to be finishing my book on a civil war battle in the spring of '22.

what is the best way to procure a publisher?

did you use a literary agent?
Jaydoug
AG
Saw this today and thought of your book

aalan94
AG
I know Brandon, and have talked to him a few times. He's focused on the battle site whereas it's not something I go into too deep in my book. I generally think that most folks are looking too far South, but there are reasonable interpretations to search in that area. The problem is the site is 9 miles south of the Medina River. The accounts basically say that the army marched 4 miles south of an unknown starting point. That could be on the Medina, or perhaps well past it. You really have to go forensically into the sources to narrow it down before you bother with archeology, but I know they've been having discussions and maybe they feel good about whatever sites they will search.

My only recommendation is that they not forget the other two lost battles of the war - the Battle of Rosillo (about 6 miles SE of San Antonio) and the Battle of Alazan, which was actually in the city. Neither of those battles have been definitively located, but the sources are much better for them. Alazan, I can probably drive to and tell you it's right here, because there's an old map of Alazan creek from the rebels themselves and it lines up perfectly with a specific site. For Rossillo, it's not as presise, but it's almost certainly at the junction of the Rosillo and Salado Creeks, so that's also a well-defined area. Either of those battlefields are almost certainly within 1,000 yards of a definable point, whereas the circle of uncertainty for Medina is probably 10 miles in circumference.
aalan94
AG
Book Update:

As for the update on the book, I'll make a separate note to avoid it being lost, but here it is:

Everything is done, I even have a very good map done by a cartographer from San Francisco. The only problem is, I still need approval for use of some of my images from the copyright owners, and in a few cases, those folks have been down for a while for COVID. I was hoping to get them all this week, but that may not happen. I've been editing the book to death, and there's really not much I can do except just wait.

What I have done is create a website. I'm not publicizing it far and wide, but I can share it here. It includes a link where you can sign up to reserve a copy. All this does at this point is put you into a spreadsheet so that when it's ready, you get an email with a link to buy it. I did this because I've had a few history groups invite me to speak about my book (unsolicited, they just asked me), and I didn't want to get them all excited and have nowhere to sign up.

The website is here:
The Lost War for Texas: Mexican Rebels, American Burrites and the Texas Revolution of 1811.

It includes basic info about the book, links to my blogs (several posts there are placeholders, so if you see something that's blank, don't worry, it's coming). I've also got a link for a podcast, which I have not done, but will also do at some point. I'm deliberately holding back finishing the site until the book's actually in production. But in the meantime, if you'd like, go there and sign up, and that way I can send you a link once it's ready. I won't sell your email address to a spammer from Kazhakstan. The only email you'll get is an announcement that the book's available.
p_bubel
I know Alazan Creek moved around and they channelized the path decades ago, do you think its current location is similar to the map you were talking about?

I ask because they're currently doing extensive work on it. Putting in bike paths, restrooms and the like. Maybe something will turn up?
Teacher_Ag
AG
For those of us longtime history forum buds of yours can we buy a signed copy?
p_bubel
I just texted my buddy and I think I can get you in touch with the site analysis group for the Alazan Creek Greenway if you want to point them in a general direction. They started work last month. I'm happy to do it, but don't want to step on your toes. Plus, it would obviously read better coming from a book author rather than some internet crank.

If you don't have the time or inclination I understand that all too well.

Either way, congrats again.
aalan94
AG
There is a spot on the river that matches up very well, but it's the location of the road that is the likely key marker. I would just tell your friend to maybe reach out to the local archeological association. I'm sure there is an interest there. I think the clue to finding these sites is a mix of research, digging and analysis.

For the guy who requested an autographed version, at some point, I hope to do book signings. I'll make sure everyone here knows. I plan to get around to places throughout Central Texas and beyond.
Jabin
For those of us out of state, would you consider shipping if we paid the shipping cost?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.