Charleston, SC History

1,904 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ78
HillCountry15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spending a few days in Charleston for my wife's and my second anniversary. Got a whole day of history in at the USS Yorktown and Fort Sumter

USS Yorktown

Artillery shell lodged in the wall of Fort Sumter

Fingerprints from a child slave who helped make the bricks of Fort Sumter
CanyonAg77
AG
If you're still there, take a carriage ride. Our driver knew a lot of the history. We were there for our 40th back in May
HillCountry15
CanyonAg77 said:

If you're still there, take a carriage ride. Our driver knew a lot of the history. We were there for our 40th back in May
Took a carriage ride Saturday evening. Pretty interesting how they do the rides with the bingo system.

Essentially, there are 4 or 5 different routes that all of the carriage rides can go on. After you load up on the carriage, you ride a block down to this booth and a bingo ball pops up with tells the driver what tour you'll go on
HillCountry15
Picked up some artifacts for sales at the Patriots Point gift shop
CanyonAg77
AG
Had your wife bought a sweet grass basket yet?
HillCountry15
Hell no. They push that crap harder than a used car salesman on the last day of the month
CanyonAg77
AG
Mine couldn't resist. It's only money.
CanyonAg77
AG
We enjoyed visiting Boone Plantation outside of town, and Amen Street for fish in Charleston. carmellias? across from Amen Street fish was great for ice cream.

We enjoyed a harbor tour, as well as Summer. On the former, a guy sat behind us with a Corps of Cadets T-shirt. He was a CT a year or two after I was a BQ, and had the same (difficult) major as my wife, Geophysics
Rabid Cougar
AG
In my opinion the Ashley River Plantations (Middleton Place, Magnolia and Drayton Hall) were much better than the Boone Plantation.

The Boone House was built in 1935.
The best thing about the Boone House was the 1/2 mile entrance. Totally gorgeous!

The best places to buy the baskets is Mount Pleasent and Sullivans Island. They have the the best prices.
AtlAg05
AG
Carriage ride was awesome, getting the details on the orientation of the houses to take advantage of the sea breeze, how they designate a historical house and require any repairs to match the original construction. We stopped at a house and our driver pointed out a new gutter system on a house, it was made of copper. He joked about finding copper gutters at HD and said it probably was $10K's to get custom copper gutters made.

We also went by section 8 housing that now also falls under the same requirements for repairs, which meant nothing was being repaired. Not very good planning on that regard.

A fun place to visit.
FCBlitz
My great great grandfather gave the order to attack fort Sumpter.
BQ78
AG
Is your last name Davis?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.