Rock of Ages Massacre of 1814 in Arkansas?

3,138 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cen-Tex
Frenchy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was recently at Cadron Settlement Park near Conway in central Arkansas. One of the markers there mentioned the Rock of Ages Massacre of 1814. I have done some Google searches and come up with nothing. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this is?

You can see the marker at the 4:43 mark in the video below.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Good luck. Scant info online. I'm guessing Osage indians killed some pioneers.
mic suede
Def Lep drummer lost his arm there.
Sapper Redux
Legitimately cannot find any supporting sources. Settlers were coming into the area around 1811, and the New Madrid Earthquake in 1812 upset relations between local Cherokee and European settlers. So, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a killing that was labeled a "massacre." But at the same time, no sources from that era and from that region mention anything. It was just a bit of land that a speculator was trying to develop into a town.
aalan94
AG
The New Madrid earthquake is a fascinating story. The greatest geological event East of the Rockies.
Frenchy
AG
Thanks, everyone. I didn't know about the New Madrid earthquake.
BQ78
AG
Check out Feldman's When the Mississippi Ran Backwards: Empire, Intrigue, Murder and the New Madrid Earthquakes for a good read on it.
Cen-Tex
AG
Re: the Rock of Ages Massacre of 1814 - here's a response from the Faulkner Co (Ark) Museum Director…

"…Thank you for your inquiry into the matter of the Rock of Ages Massacre! This event has had historians scratching their heads for at least 20 years (that's how long I've been involved with the Museum and the Cadron Settlement Park). No one can figure it out, there is no mention of such a massacre in historical references. Locals know nothing of it, and historians in the area have about concluded that is was "made up". Every few years the marker and the Massacre resurfaces, people get really interested, and start asking questions and delving into historic documents, but so far no one has managed to solve the mystery.

I wish I could be of more help to you, but that's all I know."

Best regards,

Lynita Langley-Ware
Director, Faulkner County Museum
CanyonAg77
AG
So, not an ancient battle, but an ancient joke or hoax?

I looked up the origin of the hymn, it was published by 1776, so it would have been known by 1814.

I guess there is a chance the marker refers to an actual event. Sounds more like an Urban Legend that someone believed.
Cen-Tex
AG
The Cadron park supervisor mentioned that the park was originally an Army of Corps of Engineers project. Due to federal budget cuts the park was turned over to the local municipality. I sent an inquiry to USACE history section, but have yet to receive a response.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.