Fannin County Courthouse

2,373 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pmart
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This popped up on my Facebook feed, holy cow, they're going for broke with the restoration.

1929 Fire:

1939:

60s update:

Recent renovations:

Live Facebook feed:

Texas Escapes

Absolutely amazing.

I wish they could put back the old Brazos County Courthouse but that ship sailed with the wrecking ball.
cavscout96
AG
p_bubel said:

This popped up on my Facebook feed, holy cow, they're going for broke with the restoration.

1929 Fire:

1939:

60s update:

Recent renovations:

Live Facebook feed:

Texas Escapes

Absolutely amazing.

I wish they could put back the old Brazos County Courthouse but that ship sailed with the wrecking ball.
where there is a will.... and sufficient funds....

this is AWESOME ....
Belton Ag
AG
That 1960's update picture looks straight up like some kind of Nazi government building. All it needs at the top middle is an eagle with a swastika in its talons.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

Reminds me of Austin Co. (Bellville) 1888 Courthouse:

Replacement after 1960 fire:
87Flyfisher
AG
My in-laws live two blocks north of the courthouse and it has been impressive to watch the progress. They even reopened the quarry in nearby Gober to to get the exact same limestone to match the original.
Apache
AG
I hope they are restoring the clock tower and cupola.
Most modern architecture is crap pleased to see this restoration
Jabin
Apache said:

I hope they are restoring the clock tower and cupola.
Most modern architecture is crap pleased to see this restoration
You can see both on the ground near the crane in the modern picture.
Zona81
AG
The destruction of the old Brazos County Courthouse and replacement with the one we have today was a crime against architecture. A real loss.
pmart
Zona81 said:

The destruction of the old Brazos County Courthouse and replacement with the one we have today was a crime against architecture. A real loss.

I think the biggest problem with the current courthouse is the addition that was done in the 80's. The 50's building has a lot of mid-century modern elements that are very attractive. Modernism works when you use attractive, high quality materials with very careful attention paid to the details. It actually takes a lot of work to make the building look that simple and clean. The problem with modernism is that if you start reducing cost at the sacrifice of those elements, you usually end up with an ugly building.

Apache
AG
Windows would be nice!
Jabin
Yeah, I have a real hard time finding anything about that 50s mid-century modern building that I would call attractive.
pmart
Apache said:

Windows would be nice!

Haha, no doubt! I think that was a product of the holding cells and courtrooms being on the upper floors and for security reasons they thought it best to not have windows. And once they moved the holding cells to a different building, they did add Windows to the 80's addition.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.