WWII Paratroopers Question

3,343 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Smeghead4761
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started watching an old Gregory Peck film last night, The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956), based on a best-selling book.

Peck's character is portrayed as a paratrooper fighting in Italy during WWII. Later in the movie his unit is transferred to the Pacific to fight the Japanese, and does a combat jump.

This did not ring true to me, that a unit of paratroopers fought in both theaters.

I can't find much on Google. Anyone know?
Smeghead4761
To the best of my knowledge, the only airborne division that fought anywhere in the Mediterranian (North Aftrica, Sicily, Italy) was the 82nd.

Best I can find, the only parachute regiments in the Pacific were the 503rd PIR (independent) and the 511th PIR (11th Airborne Division). Neither fought in Europe.

I suppose it could be possible for individuals to have moved from one of the regiments of the 82nd to one in the Pacific.
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you for the response.

It's just that the movie was seen as sort of a sequel to The Best Years of Our Lives and was clearly aiming at a depiction of life after the war as well as the war itself that was realistic rather than mere flag-waving.

You would think that the book's author and the screenwriters would try to be as accurate as possible given the wide audience that would detect any major errors, but I guess Hollywood is Hollywood.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

You would think that the book's author and the screenwriters would try to be as accurate as possible given the wide audience that would detect any major errors, but I guess Hollywood is Hollywood.

I think people used to be much more accepting of inaccuracies "back in the day". I know they weren't picky about what they saw on the screen, because the "special effects" were laughable.

And even though you may have 10 million plus WWII vets coming to the movies, they were not able to access even 1% of the info we can today. So a paratrooper may have known this movie was bullcrap, but a Air Corps guy, or tanker, or Marine, or Seaman might have no clue. I'd guess that most were experts on their little corner of the war, but not the Big Picture.

We have that movie on the VCR, plan to watch it soon.
OldArmy71
AG
I'll be interested in what you think.

It was sort of all over the place in terms of plot, but was generally well-acted. Lee J Cobb, who is always top-notch, has a small but interesting role. Keenan Wynn has a sympathetic role.

Ken Tobey, who is one of my favorite character actors, has a brief role as Peck's best friend. Interestingly, Tobey had been in another movie with Peck, Twelve O'Clock High--he plays the sloppy sentry whom Gen. Savage (Peck) dresses down on his first day as commander. I see from the internet that Tobey and Peck were in a drama program together.

I thought the interaction with the main characters' three children was right on the money: they are all glued to the TV, which keeps playing the same cowboy film no matter what day or time. That must have been a fairly original idea in 1956.

The movie certainly introduced some uncomfortable ideas about the war: not just combat, but what soldiers did when they were not fighting.

It was too melodramatic for my tastes and I don't think it is a great movie, but I had never seen it and thought it worth the time.

JABQ04
AG
Funny you mention Ken Tobey. I was deep diving something the other day about the Alamo movies and saw he was Jim Bowie in Walt Disney's version as well Jocko in Davy Crockett and the River Pirates.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I think people used to be much more accepting of inaccuracies "back in the day". I know they weren't picky about what they saw on the screen, because the "special effects" were laughable.

And even though you may have 10 million plus WWII vets coming to the movies, they were not able to access even 1% of the info we can today. So a paratrooper may have known this movie was bullcrap, but a Air Corps guy, or tanker, or Marine, or Seaman might have no clue. I'd guess that most were experts on their little corner of the war, but not the Big Picture.

We have that movie on the VCR, plan to watch it soon.

That is even true today. Lots of servicemen only know about the war that they took part in, not the larger scope/history of other units or services.
OldArmy71
AG
Yes, he was. I remember those shows well. They were originally TV episodes on Disney's Sunday night show, which is where I saw them.

My real fondness for Ken Tobey derives from my love of The Thing From Another World (1951), in which he has the lead and does an excellent job. Wonderful movie.
AgRyan04
Did Easy Company not have guys go to the Pacific at the end of Band of Brothers? I feel like they were at least preparing for it after they took Eagle's Nest
JABQ04
AG
I don't think any went to the Pacific but they were preparing for it.
HarleySpoon
AG
My dad was in the 82nd and jumped at Normandy, Niimejan, fought in the bulge. He was in 505th and they occupied Berlin at the end of the war. He said that while in Berlin the 505th was told they would deploy directly to the Pacific.

If you've ever read any of the pamphlets about returning to civilian life that the army gave the troopers before being shipped home, or have knowledge of the wonderful life they were enjoying in Berlinit would seem logical that it might be best for them to avoid much time in the US between theaters.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Mentioned in the Book and the Series. Those that didn't have enough points to go home were about the be sent for training.
Smeghead4761
JABQ04 said:

The Army had plans to transfer units from Europe to the Pacific, but those units would not have been used until the invasion of Honshu, planned for sometime in 1946. The units scheduled to be transferred would have been gutted by the demobilization of high points troops (IOW, most of the most experienced soldiers and leaders), and would have had to be almost totally rebuilt.

That rebuilding would have almost certainly have been done in either Europe or the Philippines, because if you tried to take those units back to the States, the desertion rate among the soldiers who had fought in Europe but didn't have enough points to demobilize would have been disasterous.
JABQ04
AG
Without a doubt men would have been shuffled across the world to the Pacific.
Interesting pamphlet from my grandfather that I might need to dig out.

HollywoodBQ
AG
Here is some information about combat jumps from WWII through Panama.
https://www.wearethemighty.com/lists/paratroopaloosa-these-are-all-the-times-america-did-large-scale-combat-jumps/

I'm sure the movie is Hollywooded up but, I found it very interesting that there were as many combat jumps as there were in the Pacific Theater in particular.
Hey Nav
AG
I participated in #16 and #17 on that list.

Pretty sure the first Ranger from the 75th to jump was on my plane .
ABATTBQ87
AG
Hey Nav said:

I participated in #16 and #17 on that list.

Pretty sure the first Ranger from the 75th to jump was on my plane .
Did you know Ranger Mike Burton? He participated in #16
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
JABQ04 said:

Without a doubt men would have been shuffled across the world to the Pacific.
Interesting pamphlet from my grandfather that I might need to dig out.

Yup. I remember my Grandaddy telling me once that there was very much an attitude of "We did OUR part, now YOU do yours!" from the European theater guys towards the Pacific theater guys. Lots of resentment about the idea of having to shift theaters.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Did you know Ranger Mike Burton? He participated in #16.
Can't say that I do. We just tried to provide those guys pleasant and safe accommodations to their desired destination
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Did you know Ranger Mike Burton? He participated in #16.
Can't say that I do. We just tried to provide those guys pleasant and safe accommodations to their desired destination
You sucky sucky? Love them long time?
AllTheFishes
AG
I believe I remember reading that when the 11th Airborne Division jumped into Luzon they were back filled with officers and NCO's from the 82nd and 101st to provide experienced leadership on the the DZ. That might be the reference?
AEK
AG
Thanks for sharing. I think it is Interesting they included the jump into Iraq, but nothing is mentioned about the combat jumps into Afghanistan.
Smeghead4761
Afghanistan was only the Rangers, and probably not big enough to qualify as "large scale."

I would personally question whether the jump into northern Iraq should really be called a combat jump, since the DZ was held by friendly Kurdish forces at the time.
GTdad
Here's a resource some of you may appreciate, chronicling every military operational jump by anyone from 1939 to early 2013.

http://macvteam162.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Combat-Jump-Record-03.07.2013.pdf

It's fun to browse through if you're a like-minded nerd.
Rabid Cougar
AG
GTdad said:

Here's a resource some of you may appreciate, chronicling every military operational jump by anyone from 1939 to early 2013.

http://macvteam162.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Combat-Jump-Record-03.07.2013.pdf

The French utilized paratroops in Vietnam in the 50's in the same manner as the U.S utilized helicopter air assault / insertion. What a difference 10 years made in combat tactics.

Also noted the US being the only country able to drop two full Divisions in a single operation at any point in time.
Smeghead4761
Rabid Cougar said:

GTdad said:

The French utilized paratroops in Vietnam in the 50's in the same manner as the U.S utilized helicopter air assault / insertion. What a difference 10 years made in combat tactics.

Also noted the US being the only country able to drop two full Divisions in a single operation at any point in time.

Whereas today, dropping a single brigade would substantially hamper AMC's operations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.