Found 70 yr old Flags- Japan & 48 star USA- Translator needed

2,652 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ciboag96
Batzarro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi all,

I recently moved after spending a year living with my in-laws. My daughter wanted us to put up a flag for Flag Day and I remembered receiving a tube of an American flag from my father-in-law during our move.

When I unfurled the flag, I was surprised to see it was a 48 star flag. Also inside was Japanese flag with writing on it.

I have no background info on how my in-laws obtained the flags. My grandfather-in-law fought in the Korean war, as a South Korean soldier. I do not think he fought in WW2 though he was old enough at the time. Japan also occupied Korea for a number of decades until the end of WW2. He also was an antique collector- mainly antique smoking pipes, so these flags could have just been bought during his collecting days.

More Info:

1. The Japan flag might have a little blood stain on it.
2. The Japan flag might say "Japanese spirit" on it. That's the most translating the Korean uncle could give me.
3. The USA flag is maybe wool or linen. The Japan flag seems to be silk.

Help Needed:

1. Are there any Texagers who know Japanese who can translate the writing on the Japan flag?
2. Does anyone know how I can best preserve the flags? I would like to frame the USA flag and do something respectful for the Japan flag.

My uneducated guess:

I think the flags are from the Korean war time period not WW2 because I do not think Japanese would write on their battle/wartime flags. I think the flags were from a sport competition where flags were exchanged, with maybe participants signing them and scribbling mottos.

EDIT: Added Photos

JABQ04
AG
Very cool!
Batzarro
AG

My skewed guess:

My guess that the flags were from the Korean wartime are solely based on my skewed historical perspective. My grandfather volunteered and served as a paratrooper. He told me stories in the very late time of his life about the experience. They were stationed in Japan. He told me storied on how they would wrestle or box with Japanese in the gyms. Fraternizing with Japanese was common. The Korean War was 1950-1953. Alaska and Hawaii were added as states in 1959.

It is more likely than not a completely different story for these flags.
JABQ04
AG
This thing is kicking google translates ass

One thing that came up is
"US Armed Area Hirado Motaru: Responsibility City 4"
JABQ04
AG
So the flag looks similar to the flags that cities would give departing Japanese soldiers for good luck. Trusting that the translation is correct, I would assume this flag was given to an occupying US soldier prior to his departure for Korea. Somehow your grandfather in law came into possession of this flag.

Here is a Japanese good luck flag and some translations for reference.

Batzarro
AG
excellent, thank you JABQ04. That is interesting.
mic suede
Ciboag96
Check out the Obon Society. https://obonsociety.org/eng/ Families gave those flags to their children, brothers, fathers before going off to war. The society reunites these Japanese flags with the love ones families.

Quote:

OBON SOCIETY is a non-profit humanitarian effort dedicated to the pursuit of peace.
We provide the opportunity for reconciliation between families through the return of personal items taken during war.
We help those who have these heirlooms and would like to return them to the rightful owners.
Your support makes our work possible.

Ciboag96
Ciboag96
Quote:

Mr. Furukawa, a relic of Mr. Furukawa from Myoko, who died in Okinawa for the first time in 76 years

2021/07/10 14:05

Mr. Manabu Furukawa, an army chief from Myoko City, Niigata Prefecture, who died in Okinawa in 1945 at the end of the Pacific War. The Niigata flag held by = Year of the Year (30) = was returned from the United States to the bereaved families in the city 76 years after the end of the war. This is the first time that the Japanese flag has been returned to the bereaved family in Myoko City. A person concerned reminded us of the preciousness of peace, saying, "The return is a proof of the friendship between the United States and Japan, which were enemy nations."

This year's memorial service for the war dead from Myoko City, which died in the war, was held at Araibetsuin in the city on June 30, and the Japanese flag was handed over to the bereaved family. The flag says "Gaku-kun Tamefurukawa" and "Nagahisa Takeun", and the names of eight people are written around the Hinomaru. Mr. Furukawa died on June 15, 1945 on the main island of Okinawa.

The Japanese flag was brought back by US soldiers as a loot after the war, and was returned by a non-profit organization based in Oregon, USA, and the Japan War-Bereaved Families Association. So far, about 380 Japanese flags have been returned to the bereaved families in Japan. According to the Prefectural Union Bereaved Family Association, this is the seventh case of return to the bereaved family in the prefecture.

Yukio Furukawa (66), a bereaved family member who received the flag, said, "I was really surprised when I heard that it would be returned. I want to keep it at home." Hideo Majima, chairman of the Myoko City Bereaved Family Association, said, "The bereaved family association organizes the relics of the war dead, so I want to protect them."

Approximately 40 people, including government officials, city bereaved families, and city social welfare council officers, attended the memorial service for the war dead. While the reading was echoing, the attendees burned incense and prayed for souls. Mayor Akira Nyumura mourned the spirit, saying, "We have a mission to pass on to the next generation so that we will not repeat the sad history again."https: //www.niigata-nippo.co.jp /.../20210710627683.html
erudite
I'll take a shot at translating the flag over the weekend. Looks to be mostly names from the text.
Batzarro
AG
Thank you. Yes if we can get the name it would be big step forward. Then take action based on that.
Batzarro
AG
Thanks Ciboag96. I left them a voicemail.
gigemhilo
AG
I have nothing to offer but interest in this thread. Just here to follow. Very cool find!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Sending pictures of flags to coworkers whose wife is Japanese.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Sending pictures of flags to coworker whose wife is Japanese.
Her reply:

"The top picture is correctly orientated up and down"
"The flag is from WW2, and most of the writing is people's names, like a Good Luck card. The central top name is the addressee's name. There is also a line that says something like "Go Get the British and Americans".

Just as JABQ04 previously stated.

JABQ04
AG
Looks like google translate was way off for me.

I assumed, from the OPs post about it being post war that maybe it was given to an American on occupation duty before he set out for Korea by a Japanese family or maybe to a unit of GIs by a town. Now I'm really curious. Could body well that the flag ended up back in Japan and a lucky family got their service man back if it was Japanese WWII.
Ciboag96
Ciboag96
Batzarro said:

Thanks Ciboag96. I left them a voicemail.

Awesome! Let us know what they say!
Batzarro
AG
Sorry for the delay, stuff happened.

UPDATE:

I did talk to the OBON Society and sent them a photo. I'll send them the flag on Monday.

The flag is authentic from WW2. There is no name on it but there are enough clues for their team to maybe track down surviving family members. The OBON volunteer and a neighbor said the writing was deeply personal. A brief translation is that some of the writing is from the soldier's family and it seems some from the soldier himself. A neighbor translated it and said the following:

"His messages felt like a love letter to his wife back at home, letting her know he's not on the front lines, and telling her where to work so he can find her when he returns."

Ciboag96
Batzarro said:

Sorry for the delay, stuff happened.

UPDATE:

I did talk to the OBON Society and sent them a photo. I'll send them the flag on Monday.

The flag is authentic from WW2. There is no name on it but there are enough clues for their team to maybe track down surviving family members. The OBON volunteer and a neighbor said the writing was deeply personal. A brief translation is that some of the writing is from the soldier's family and it seems some from the soldier himself. A neighbor translated it and said the following:

"His messages felt like a love letter to his wife back at home, letting her know he's not on the front lines, and telling her where to work so he can find her when he returns."

Awesome. Just awesome man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.