If you like history but do not belong to a fraternal organization

3,091 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chilimuybueno
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems to me all clubs, historical associations, fraternal organizations, etc. are drying up and going away.

I assume if you are on this board and looking at this thread, you love or are at least interested in history. Given that and your interest in history, why are you not a member of a historical association that meets monthly or so to discuss and learn about history?
JABQ04
AG
Not in any association or anything, with the exception of a couple of reenactment groups, but several of us also meet for lunch around the Houston area monthly, maybe bi-monthly of schedules allow talk about history. If your Houston area next time we meet I'll extend an invite.
BQ78
AG
Thanks that would be cool.

Let me provide some context to my question. My historical group is having a BoD meeting soon and one of my directors ever so often wants to do something to encourage membership from the younger people. I've given up on the idea but she keeps pushing it ever so often, so I am looking at seeing what the obstacles are to membership among young history enthusiasts. With two sons of my own in that category, I'm pretty sure I know that the obstacles are too great and we are doomed to be an old white man club until the day it eventually dries up (I'm hopeful that my sons as they get to be old white men they will keep the clubs alive but maybe not).
cavscout96
AG
When I attend SAR meetings, I am 20-30 years junior to almost everyone in attendance.

The VFW and AL are having similar problems.

---------------------------

I don't know what the answer is, but I hope it isn't too late. The only "solution" I've come up with so far is to raise a couple of history geeks at home. I feel like I'm trying to bail the Titanic with a teaspoon.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Thanks that would be cool.

Let me provide some context to my question. My historical group is having a BoD meeting soon and one of my directors ever so often wants to do something to encourage membership from the younger people. I've given up on the idea but she keeps pushing it ever so often, so I am looking at seeing what the obstacles are to membership among young history enthusiasts. With two sons of my own in that category, I'm pretty sure I know that the obstacles are too great and we are doomed to be an old white man club until the day it eventually dries up (I'm hopeful that my sons as they get to be old white men they will keep the clubs alive but maybe not).
I would imagine the issue is people just don't know about the organizations. What orgs are you part of?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
I'm one of those folks who loves history. Not remotely an expert but would like to participate in a group like you're talking about.

Would you consider an almost retired Class of '78 old fart? I love history but not an expert. Live in Georgetown.
clarythedrill
I have often considered joining the VFW or AFL, but I just cannot stomach the cigarette smoke and stench that emanates from their halls when walking in. You lose a couple of years off your life every hour you are in there. Also, it seems there are just too many disgruntled vets that only want to complain about their service branch and cry in their cheap beer about their less than 100% disability. It really isnt a fun experience.

If those two organizations would combine, clean their halls and acts up and become just a little more contemporary with todays vets, they could expand their numbers and become relevant again.

Please bare in mind that I do not think all VFW and AFL halls are like the above, but unfortunately the ones I have visited are like that.
BQ78
AG
I'm speaking of a Civil War Round Table but other similar organizations DAR, SCV, DRT are having the same issues with gentrifying memberships.

TRD-Ferguson:

Hey I'm a '78 person too. From the looks of your posting, you are in the Austin area too. Look for the Austin Civil War Roundtable on the web or FaceBook we have a good group of grey hairs, mostly men and great speakers and topics. Last month we gave our book prize to H.W. Brand for his Emancipator and the Zealot. We start up again in September with Sam Hood and his book Patriots Twice.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
A few reasons (class of '07, not sure if I'm "young" anymore)

1- I don't know of any organizations in my area. They don't advertise well. Which is hilarious, because I live ~2 hours north of Philadelphia, you'd think this would be a thing up here. Theoretically I could make a case for the SAR, as I know of at least 1 relative who fought, but that's quite a bit of effort, and....

2- I don't have time, and honestly didn't even before the baby was born.

3- I'm a gun-totin', God fearin' Texan, and the current progressive trend in history is something that not just annoys me, it infuriates me. And while my little corner of PA is more conservative than, say, Philly, it's still nowhere near the average conversation in a comparable TX region.

It's regrettable, because I love discussing history. Every time my family gets together, someone will bring up something they read in a book, and an hours long discussion on history, what-ifs, and other related tangents will follow.
cavscout96
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

A few reasons (class of '07, not sure if I'm "young" anymore)

1- I don't know of any organizations in my area. They don't advertise well. Which is hilarious, because I live ~2 hours north of Philadelphia, you'd think this would be a thing up here. Theoretically I could make a case for the SAR, as I know of at least 1 relative who fought, but that's quite a bit of effort, and....

2- I don't have time, and honestly didn't even before the baby was born.

3- I'm a gun-totin', God fearin' Texan, and the current progressive trend in history is something that not just annoys me, it infuriates me. And while my little corner of PA is more conservative than, say, Philly, it's still nowhere near the average conversation in a comparable TX region.

It's regrettable, because I love discussing history. Every time my family gets together, someone will bring up something they read in a book, and an hours long discussion on history, what-ifs, and other related tangents will follow.
1. this is a problem everywhere I think. It's not as hard as you might think. The registrar can help you pull the documentation and put it together for you. Often the SAR and DAR work together to help new members. If your ancestor's service is already documented, all you have to prove is your lineal descent.

2. See above. Also, (seriously, not trying to be a jerk here) what if the folks in April 1775 had the same response? Fathers said goodbye to wives and kids, mother packed up provisions for teen sons, etc.

3. all the more reason to get involved. No way to debate or change the current trend if you never even show up to the discussion.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Thanks! Looking forward to getting involved.
Eliminatus
AG
Never knew such organized things even existed. Mid 30s and I would have been doing this for decades if I had known. I mean, I know there were enthusiast ad hoc local groups that would shoot the **** in larger cities but nothing of what OP is referring to.

And now that I know, I just don't have the time really at this stage of my life I think.
Ulrich
I had never heard of anything like this until today. Sounds like there's a marketing issue.
BQ78
AG
Well it's not like we have a marketing budget.

We used to get the paper to announce our meetings but about 10 years ago they no longer posted ours as it was mainly gay and SJW organizations they would announce. I thought about putting the announcement out as the Gay Civil War Roundtable but decided that might not be a good idea. Local media won't touch us now for obvious reasons even when our book prize was a local winner this year (HW Brand) on a book about Lincoln and John Brown.

We have a website we are on FaceBook but those don't seem to make a blip. We used to put fliers at Book People not a blip.

I'm content (resigned) to run at the 30-40 regular people we get for each meeting and the 50-60 members but one of my directors isn't. Of course she is the President of the local DAR and of a unit descendants organization, both with the same issue and despite her best efforts they stay the same size. I just don't want to put a bunch of effort/money into something that won't make a difference
BQ2017
AG
That would be badass if there was one in College Station. #1 Julius Caesar fan right here
mic suede
BQ78 said:

Well it's not like we have a marketing budget.

We used to get the paper to announce our meetings but about 10 years ago they no longer posted ours as it was mainly gay and SJW organizations they would announce. I thought about putting the announcement out as the Gay Civil War Roundtable but decided that might not be a good idea. Local media won't touch us now for obvious reasons even when our book prize was a local winner this year (HW Brand) on a book about Lincoln and John Brown.

We have a website we are on FaceBook but those don't seem to make a blip. We used to put fliers at Book People not a blip.

I'm content (resigned) to run at the 30-40 regular people we get for each meeting and the 50-60 members but one of my directors isn't. Of course she is the President of the local DAR and of a unit descendants organization, both with the same issue and despite her best efforts they stay the same size. I just don't want to put a bunch of effort/money into something that won't make a difference

Who could even know why a group that advertises in newspapers and isn't welcoming to "gays and SJWs" is having membership problems.
BQ78
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ2017 said:

That would be badass if there was one in College Station. #1 Julius Caesar fan right here
Used to have a University recognized Civil War Living History Organization. Had a table in the hallway of the MSC with full uniform /equipped Confederate soldiers. Had about 25-30 members who met regularly and went to events and CW musters.

You got a big picture of that happening now right?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Sons of the Republic of Texas has chapters all over Texas- see website.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
DustysLineup
AG

Quote:

I'm speaking of a Civil War Round Table but other similar organizations DAR, SCV, DRT are having the same issues with gentrifying memberships.
For the latter three, the eligibility requirements are a big obstacle. I'm interested in local or regional history discussions; I'm not interested in assembling a book of ancestry to determine whether I'm eligible.

My direct experience w/ 2 other fraternal organizations (not mentioned here) is that the process of being recruited and joining is almost the height of activity. Older members always say they want new members, but in practice they tend to be inward focused. I'd suggest an organization that wishes to grow would hold events open to the public, and casual functions that are comfortable for people who did not grow up with the existing membership. The regular formal meetings didn't really allow for new members to visit and get to know the older existing members, or find a purpose beyond joining for the sake of joining. That wasn't a major issue for someone like me who's easily entertained by listening to old men tell stories and bicker amongst each other, but I know some of the problems with new membership retention.

The roundtable probably has different issues, in that's it's seen as more of a niche scholarship organization than a place for casual enthusiasts like myself. A respectable group for sure, but I don't know that I'd be able to contribute much.

I'd love a local history organization that doesn't require me to prove my society status or be really smart.
Eliminatus
AG
Harry Lime said:

Quote:

For the latter three, the eligibility requirements are a big obstacle. I'm interested in local or regional history discussions; I'm not interested in assembling a book of ancestry to determine whether I'm eligible.

My direct experience w/ 2 other fraternal organizations (not mentioned here) is that the process of being recruited and joining is almost the height of activity. Older members always say they want new members, but in practice they tend to be inward focused. I'd suggest an organization that wishes to grow would hold events open to the public, and casual functions that are comfortable for people who did not grow up with the existing membership. The regular formal meetings didn't really allow for new members to visit and get to know the older existing members, or find a purpose beyond joining for the sake of joining. That wasn't a major issue for someone like me who's easily entertained by listening to old men tell stories and bicker amongst each other, but I know some of the problems with new membership retention.

The roundtable probably has different issues, in that's it's seen as more of a niche scholarship organization than a place for casual enthusiasts like myself. A respectable group for sure, but I don't know that I'd be able to contribute much.

I'd love a local history organization that doesn't require me to prove my society status or be really smart.

Agreed on the entrance requirements. I understand the need to want them for some orgs and is even a tenet and founding principle of belonging to said org, but it is unsustainable over newer generations. As we are seeing now. And honestly, I have little sympathy really. There are potential fixes but they will never been entertained so not going to personally fret too much if said orgs dry up and die.

And academic elitism is absolutely a thing and is disgusting. Definite turnoff for sure.
BQ78
AG
Agreed that was some of my experience with those groups and some of the culture was a little off putting as well.
aalan94
AG
Would love to have an organization that just sits and talks history. Even if it were like a Zoom group. Perhaps we can set up a network from the Texags group (but ultimately open it up) that does weekly history discussions.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

Would love to have an organization that just sits and talks history. Even if it were like a Zoom group. Perhaps we can set up a network from the Texags group (but ultimately open it up) that does weekly history discussions.
Sitting down with you to discuss Texas history would be like when I sat down with Ed Bearss for dinner at my NPS boss' house on High Street in Petersburg, Va. in on 9 June 1984.....

I'd remember it.
JABQ04
AG
I'm in
Spyderman
AG
Accepted history....will it be greatly re-written at some point?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
chilimuybueno
AG
Which chapter are you associated with?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.