Richard Carter Homesite in CS

2,126 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pmart
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The archeology report
Jabin
p_bubel said:

The archeology report
That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.
CanyonAg77
AG
Someone want to tell me who Carter was?
Jabin
Apparently, he was the first settler in Brazos County and the wealthiest for about 30 or 40 years. Pretty interesting description of what life was like for early settlers.
BQ78
AG
First settler in the College Station area. Pretty rich guy too by the time of the Civil War. Supposedly a War of 1812 veteran but some question about that.
BQ_90
AG
He was pretty smart, built is house right off the bypass and close to all the resturants.
JaneDoe02
AG
I bet he would be shocked to drive through town today.
CanyonAg77
AG
JaneDoe02 said:

I bet he would be shocked to drive
fify
Bregxit
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

JaneDoe02 said:

fify

He could drive a wagon.
BQ78
AG
College Station police would ticket that for sure.
JaneDoe02
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

JaneDoe02 said:

fify

That's fair!
pmart
BQ78 said:

First settler in the College Station area. Pretty rich guy too by the time of the Civil War. Supposedly a War of 1812 veteran but some question about that.

A large percentage of his wealth was apparently from the 22 people he enslaved. From the attached chart from the referenced report, emancipation had a dramatic effect on his estate value and other slave owners. Samuel Burton in the chart did not have any slaves.
p_bubel
(Rolls eyes)

I imagine him dying in 1863 had a significant impact as well.
pmart
Wilson Reed didn't die at that time and I said his estate, which is what it talks about in the report.
pmart
Another thing I have always found interesting about the park is that it has a letter in the pavilion describing a hunting party for big cats and bears. From the THSA site " Harvey Mitchell, described the Carter Creek bottom as "an unbroken canebrake, infested with bear, panthers, wild cats, and other enemies of hogs and cattle, as well as of men."
Post removed:
by user
dcbowers
AG
BQ_90 said:

He was pretty smart, built is house right off the bypass and close to all the resturants.
And next to the Scott & White Cosmetic Surgery Center. Just in case, you know...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
pmart
I think the biggest reason he moved there was the rumor that Papasito's was going to open down the street soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.