Chickamauga Staff Ride

1,107 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to northern Georgia for work next week and, as usual, will be doing my personal staff rides at the local ACW sites. I am flying into Chattanooga and will probably spend half a day at Chickamauga with my books and maps.

I have not been to Chickamauga in 40 plus years so it will be "new" to me. I will be adding Ringgold, Dalton and Resaca to my battlefield attended list.

I have been to Lookout Mountain in recent years so that is why I am not putting effort into that battlefield.

Currently reading up on the battles. Plan on following the Texas Brigade's assault for sure.

Not much left of Ringgold and the three battlefields around Dalton though.
BQ78
AG
Jealous, I want to see what is at Ringgold Gap. My Great Great Grandfather who was with the 15th Mississippi Sharpshooters and the 32nd Mississippi was the only one in his company killed at Ringgold Gap with Cleburne's Division fighting off the Yankees after the Chattanooga fiasco. I've read great great grandmother's application to get a pension from the Confederate government via Tishomingo County, which was interesting since the county was occupied by the Federals at that point.
JABQ04
AG
I'll be in the area for an event in September. My GGG uncle was killed sept 19, 1863 at Chickamauga. John C Beard, 1SG Co K, 5th TX.
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
Two GGGF on the field at Chickamauga...... James F. Morris, Co. B, 15th Georgia Inf. ANV (Longstreet's Corps)
Ambrose Chadwick, Co. G , 17th Alabama Inf. another relative Rufus Chadwick in Co. G, 17th Alabama
Rabid Cougar
AG
Well this battlefield is one of the best I have visited. Looks just like it did during the battle and I highly recommend it. If you like monument, over 800 of them. It was also very first national battlefield park, even before Gettysburg. Also one the first that the veterans returned to install their monuments and site of many reunions. Has an excellent driving tour that you can listed to tour guides via smart phone.

Since it was so close by I went to Missionary Ridge battle field . All I can say is those Federal troops that climbed that ridge were supermen. There is no park and there are houses that line the ridge. However they have monuments in their front yards. They also have a stupendous view of Lookout Mountain across the valley.

One this I did totally not expect was Fort Oglethorpe. It was created in 1902 and was the home of the 6th Cavalry. It still has the officers quarters that ring the huge parade ground. It was decommissioned in the 50's and the parade ground is now covered by city league baseball field.

Ringgild Battlefield fell victim to I-75 as it is very much like the Glorieta Battlefield in New Mexico. A small gap in the mountains and the Interstate runs right through the middle of it.

Resaca battlefield is also fallen victim to I-75. However the State of Georgia has a very nice battlefield park directly adjacent for interstate on the remainder of the battlefield.

Dalton battlefields are all north west of town and there A few monuments and plaques scattered along amongst the truck stops and restaurants

Apologies for the mistakes in the report. I am typing on my iPhone without my reading glasses.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Chickamouga was a blood bath pure and simple. 32,000 casualties over three days. Repeating rifles made huge impact on those numbers . One Confederate unit sustained 300 casualties in 10 minutes. One Federal unit equipped with Colt Revolving rifles expended 47,000 rounds in an effort to save the Federal Army on Horseshoe Ridge in repulsing 3 Confederate assaults .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.