Fascinating video Old English related

1,391 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bregxit
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't know where to post this but I get a kick out of old languages and etymology type stuff. How many do you understand or can figure out?

Bucketrunner
Took a graduate course in Old English. Loved it. Enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.
AgBQ-00
AG
Is it strange that I like how old English sounds more than modern English?
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Is it strange that I like how old English sounds more than modern English?

I hear the Germanic roots of English. Pre-Norman invasion.
Old RV Ag
AG
Sounds like Dutch
AgBQ-00
AG
A ton of the comments from Dutch speakers said "I feel like I was playing on easy mode" It really makes me want to learn more about older English. This stuff just fascinates me.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Used quiet a bit in the History Channel's "Vikings". The Saxon use Old English with modern English subtitles. The Viking speak modern English.

One thing that is very interesting is how well Brits, Welsh, Scots and Australians can adapt to American dialects in movies and tv shows. They do it much better than the reverse.
Bucketrunner
I really need to dig those textbooks out again. Something about "umlaut . . . ."
UTExan
AgBQ-00 said:

A ton of the comments from Dutch speakers said "I feel like I was playing on easy mode" It really makes me want to learn more about older English. This stuff just fascinates me.

This sounded very close to Dutch/Afrikaans in the word pronunciation.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Bregxit
AG
Interesting...never would have guessed.

Bregxit
AG
So I had no clue on oak. I understood molars (grinding teeth) plus the clues and deer plus the clues though the clues really confused me. Made sense after the explanation.

Nice post!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.