Where to donate large collection of Civil War books

2,326 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wargograw
marqueebrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My father is very ill, and I am making arrangements for his passing. One of his passions was Civil War history, and as a result he has collected at least 150 books on the subject over the last 50 years. I would like to donate his collection to an organization that could make good use of them. Can anyone make suggestions regarding an organization that could take these books and put them to good use? Please be aware, my father rarely used the term 'Civil War', prefering the term 'WONA', so I would say maybe 10% of these books have that general outlook.
JABQ04
AG
I can PM you my address

But then I'd have to build a house out of them because my wife would kick me out.

Local library?
Local history museum?
Any chance some rare titles or prints?
Smeghead4761
If that collection happens to include the full set of The Official Record (full proper title The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies) I will happily purchase them.

If he has the set, you'll know. It's 127 volumes. Been a while since I've been in there, but if memory serves, it occupies about 3 full shelf sections in the Evans Annex.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I am facing the same situation with a house full of books. I am thinking that the Cameron Public Library will have to build a new wing/building.
Spore Ag
WONA round tables will take them to give to their members.
C1NRB
AG
You might see if this museum wants them:
https://www.hillcollege.edu/Museum/Index.html

(It was originally the "Texas Civil War Museum")
BQ78
AG
Check with the local Civil War Roundtable, most have auctions and raffles and the proceeds go toward civil War preservation and education. You should be able to find them with a web search. If you are in Texas, I know the presidents of most of them and can get you in touch.
marqueebrad
AG
Thanks for the suggestions, I've sent an email to Hill College and am waiting for a response. I'll post a reply when I figure out what to do. Thanks for the kind words as well, cancer sucks...
ABATTBQ87
AG
The Society of Civil War Historians
marqueebrad
AG
Just wanted to post a final reply. Turns out he had 90 books, not 150. Also, there's a great app in the google bookstore called 'book catalog' that lets you either read the ISBN scancode or manually enter the ISBN, or the book name and author, it then looks up the book and puts everything into an exportable CSV format. Let me catalog all 90 books in an afternoon.

I sent the catalog to Hill college, they will review and let me know what books they could use. the rest I will probably donate to an East Texas library (thats where most of my kin came from). thanks again for the suggestions!
Eliminatus
AG
Would you mind posting that CSV?

One of my greatest tragedies of life is when two large trunks of my history books fell off a truck while moving and were never recovered.

Been slowly building it back up over the years and would love some WONA suggestions.
wargograw
Langenator said:

If that collection happens to include the full set of The Official Record (full proper title The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies) I will happily purchase them.

If he has the set, you'll know. It's 127 volumes. Been a while since I've been in there, but if memory serves, it occupies about 3 full shelf sections in the Evans Annex.

Half Price Books on Parmer and Mopac in Austin had it last time I was in there which was January, and those sets tend to sit a long time. Might want to give them a call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.