HB3979-So Call Anti-History Bill

3,428 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jabin
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I consistently see some Twitter "educators" and historians claim that 3979 prevents teachers from teaching current events or about slavery, racism, or anything to do with race's impact on U.S. history. I've read the bill and I just can't find any evidence to support these claims. Am I missing some loophole that could be used to prevent teaching about these?

I'm not a fan of the H-3 section because there are some good trainings offered by outside organizations like iCivics and Humanities Texas.
Quote:

(h-1) In adopting the essential knowledge and skills for the social studies curriculum, the State Board of Education shall adopt essential knowledge and skills that develop each student's civic knowledge, including an understanding of:

(1) the fundamental moral, political, and intellectual foundations of the American experiment in self-government, as well as the history, qualities, traditions, and features of civic engagement in the United States;

(2) the structure, function, and processes of government institutions at the federal, state, and local levels; and
(3) the founding documents of the United States, including the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, the Federalist Papers (including but not limited to Essays 10 and 51), excerpts from Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America, the first Lincoln-Douglas debate, and the writings of the Founding Fathers of the United States.

(h-2) In the instruction of the essential knowledge and skills for the social studies curriculum, in applicable courses of Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social studies, or similar subject areas:

(1) no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs;

(2) teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;

(3) no school district or teacher shall require, make part of a course, or award course grading or credit including extra credit for, student work for, affiliation with, or service learning in association with any organization engaged in lobbying for legislation at the local, state or federal level, or in social or public policy advocacy; and

(4) no school district or teacher shall require, make part of a course, or award course grading or credit including extra credit for, political activism, lobbying, or efforts to persuade members of the legislative or executive branch to take specific actions by direct communication at the local, state or federal level, or any practicum or like activity involving social or public policy advocacy.

(5) No teacher, administrator, or other employee in any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration shall be required to engage in training, orientation, or therapy that presents any form of race or sex stereotyping or blame on the basis of race or sex.

(6) No teacher, administrator, or other employee in any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration shall shall require, or make part of a course the following concepts: (1) one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex; (2) an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously; (3) an individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex; (4) members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race or sex; (5) an individual's moral character is necessarily determined by his or her race or sex; (6) an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex; (7) any individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on
account of his or her race or sex; or (8) meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a members of a particular race to oppress members of another race.

(h-3) No private funding shall be accepted by state agencies, school district, campuses, open-enrollment charter schools, or school administrations for the purposes of curriculum development, purchase or choice of curricular materials, teacher training, or professional development pertaining to courses on Texas, United States, and world history, government, civics, social studies, or similar subject areas.

If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
More attention should be paid to the antifederalist papers than the federalist papers. Both need to be taught to have a full understanding of WHY we are the way we are, as opposed to a "government is infallible" mindset. Too many people I talk to argue that senators shouldn't have the power that they do (see, Wyoming vs California) without an understanding of the popular vote vs electoral college. Popular vote only profits those in cities with a denser population, which means that your backyard chicken farmer gets more say in the future of the nation than a farmer in BFE Wyoming who actually feeds more people.
.357 magnum is the only 9mm worth carrying.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think 6.8 is one of the areas some historians feel limited by, "meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a members of a particular race to oppress members of another race."

I've heard second hand that one of the recent ideas out there is that the concept of meritocracy has been perverted by some Americans in the past to be used as an racist excuse for why minorities are poor. Something like, "people who work hard are successful, so poor minorities are poor because they are lazy." Totally ignoring the long history of barriers Americans have put in place to make it harder for minorities to earn equal educations and/or accumulate wealth.

6.8 would forbid teaching any such nuance around this concept.
Thanks and gig'em
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Aggie_Journalist said:

I think 6.8 is one of the areas some historians feel limited by, "meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a members of a particular race to oppress members of another race."

I've heard second hand that one of the recent ideas out there is that the concept of meritocracy has been perverted by some Americans in the past to be used as an racist excuse for why minorities are poor. Something like, "people who work hard are successful, so poor minorities are poor because they are lazy." Totally ignoring the long history of barriers Americans have put in place to make it harder for minorities to earn equal educations and/or accumulate wealth.

While I'll concede that some folks *******ized meritocracy to meet their own needs, I'm not sure where that comes up in teaching U.S. history. Maybe civic virtue but I think that is a stretch.
USAFAg
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

IMO, then these aren't very good historians. This may be a case of you read something and I read something and we come up with two completely different interpretations of what we just read , but 6.8 to me forbids the politicization of virtues critical to everyone's success and what has made this country great. That people have allowed their bigotry/racism to ignore those virtues in others doesn't make the virtues bigoted/racist or a tool to hold people down. It makes the people who ignored them bigoted/racist.

An historian, or teacher, of any merit should easily be able to distinguish between the critical virtues for success and how they were often ignored in the past (both by individuals and by the law) due to bigotry and racism.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
BQ78
AG
Interestingly, I think someone recommended to you Fire and Blood Fehrenbach's history of Mexico, which I have no doubt today's historians would call racist. He actual says this is a key reason for Mexico's historical struggles versus the US. He points out that the people of Mexico have been oppressed by their culture since before the Spanish came and then they came and took it to a whole new level. He is very pointed in saying the Americans knew how to use the land to their economic advantage while the Mexican people were either too culturally oppressed to use it or the rich just felt just owning the land was the prize.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Interestingly, I think someone recommended to you Fire and Blood Fehrenbach's history of Mexico, which I have no doubt today's historians would call racist. He actual says this is a key reason for Mexico's historical struggles versus the US. He points out that the people of Mexico have been oppressed by their culture since before the Spanish came and then they came and took it to a whole new level. He is very pointed in saying the Americans knew how to use the land to their economic advantage while the Mexican people were either too culturally oppressed to use it or the rich just felt just owning the land was the prize.
Was that based on Gen. Manuel Mier y Teran's tour of Texas?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
BQ78
AG
Not that I know of, I think it was just Fehrenbach's analysis of Mexico's story compared to the US. I'd have to find the appropriate passages and checkout the footnotes again to know for sure.

It's a good read check it out (not as good as Lone Star and Commanches).

The full title is Fire and Blood: A History of Mexico, if I were titling it I would call it Fire and Blood: A History of Mexico: Oh no, here we go again!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Quote:

AANo teacherlsh al lrequire, or make part of a course the following concepts: (1) one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex; (2) an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist,or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously; (3) an individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex;

Does this part preclude the teaching of texts with racist thoughts within them like Stephen's Cornerstone speech or the Dred Scott decision? I was looking at Pennsylvania's law and it is worded differently and seems to make it illegal to include texts similar to those above.
aalan94
AG
Liberals: "Our curriculum doesn't do a, b. c. and c. and anyone who says it does is falling for propaganda."
Conservatives "We are banning a. b. c. and d."
Liberals: "How dare you oppress us?"
UTExan
BQ78 said:

This x one million. I read it last March and just completed re-reading it. If you want a historian that tells truths to both sides, it is T R Fehrenbach. The trauma of Spanish enslavement and domination ( a continued version of Rome ) scarred the Indios and their mestizo descendants. One comes away understanding why the Texas Rangers were so nasty. They were an early counterterrorism organization much more than the police organization portrayed today.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
aalan94 said:

Liberals: "Our curriculum doesn't do a, b. c. and c. and anyone who says it does is falling for propaganda."
That's sort of my question. I've read the bill and it won't have any bearing on how I teach my class because i don't teach CRT. Or at least I don't think I teach CRT or any particular version of it.
pmart
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

aalan94 said:

That's sort of my question. I've read the bill and it won't have any bearing on how I teach my class because i don't teach CRT. Or at least I don't think I teach CRT or any particular version of it.

I think that is the problem with the bill, most people don't really know what CRT is, thus it is open to every interpretation. So to avoid any potential conflict or controversy, many teachers and principals may over restrain their teaching methods to avoid having an angry parent accusing them of breaking the law.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Teacher_Ag said:

I teach history and will never teach CRT. Period.

Neither will I but I'm also not sure what people consider to be CRT.
Teacher_Ag
AG
From what I have read it is far too radical. I teach history as it happened, warts and all, and I want my students to treasure our country for its virtues and successes but to acknowledge its mistakes/shortcomings. That is and will always be what I do, nothing more or less.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Teacher_Ag said:

From what I have read it is far too radical. I teach history as it happened, warts and all, and I want my students to treasure our country for its virtues and successes but to acknowledge its mistakes/shortcomings. That is and will always be what I do, nothing more or less.

I'm not pushing for CRT. I'm just not sure what exactly makes a lesson CRT.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Yeah, I know. I wasn't directing my disdain for CRT toward you.
BQ78
AG
Yeah the line may be hazy but some of the stuff is obvious: white people are naturally evil, need to shut up and listen to PoC, need to apologize for their history, etc.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Yeah the line may be hazy but some of the stuff is obvious: white people are naturally evil, need to shut up and listen to PoC, need to apologize for their history, etc.

I might be in the minority but I've never seen anyone teach that or anything similar. Maybe Texas is just conservative enough for that to not happen or maybe it is my district.

I'll be honest, I think this is a giant red herring but I also don't want to turn this board into the cesspool that is the politics board.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Teacher_Ag said:

Unfortunately it is just your campus/district. I am part of a FB group for AP US and AP World teachers and CRT is very popular with the majority of them. A LOT of history teachers in TX are on board with that nonsense.

That sucks. How do you avoid calling them out on that crap?
Teacher_Ag
AG
Tbh I have decided to keep out of arguments over stuff like that and see how long I can have this career without being canceled. We are nearing our own Cultural Revolution.
Jabin
Suggestion - rather than avoiding CRT, would it be possible to teach about it, showing how it perverts true justice?

A book that is receiving rave reviews, and that I have purchased but not yet read, is Fault Lines by Voddie Baucham. Baucham is an African-American Christian now living in Africa, so his perspective is interesting. His book may be too "religious" for most schools, but there have to be others out there like it pointing out the foundational evils in CRT.

And, my understanding of CRT is that its roots are in Marxism. Even its name borrows from Marxist terminology. It is Marxism that simply substitutes racial classes for economic classes. At least that's my initial impression.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.