Historical trivia

7,371 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
USAFAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually, modern armor is far more survivable than its predecessors. Active fire supression, blow out panels, wet storage, segregated storage, better escape paths, better armor, etc, etc., a weapon system purposely designed for crew survivability with getting hit in mind as a priority vs a secondary thought....

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
clarythedrill
USA*** said:

Actually, modern armor is far more survivable than its predecessors. Active fire supression, blow out panels, wet storage, segregated storage, better escape paths, better armor, etc, etc., a weapon system purposely designed for crew survivability with getting hit in mind as a priority vs a secondary thought....
Care to elaborate on what "wet' storage is?
Jabin
The folks I talked to after the first Iraq war said that there wasn't really much to find in the way of human remains in the Iraqi/Soviet tanks after they'd been hit. Just way too much energy released inside, mainly in the form of high energy plasma. But, that's third hand at best.
USAFAg
AG

A wet ammo rack simply refers to a storage device in which the rounds are surrounded by a water jacket. The idea is, in the event that that the ammunition is compromised, the water surrounding the ordnance will extinguish any flame before it can explode.

USAFAg
AG
I dont doubt it. But meant modern armor like M1, Leclerc, Leopard 2, whatever that brand new Russian tank is called.

clarythedrill
USA*** said:

A wet ammo rack simply refers to a storage device in which the rounds are surrounded by a water jacket. The idea is, in the event that that the ammunition is compromised, the water surrounding the ordnance will extinguish any flame before it can explode.

As a 30 year tanker, I have never heard of a front line battle tank with that. Any two piece round or one with a casing of nitrocellulose would be unusable after getting wet or even damp from humidity. No modern battle tank has that.
USAFAg
AG
Thanks for the clarification. Just knew it was a "thing", not if anyone still used it

clarythedrill
USA*** said:

Thanks for the clarification. Just knew it was a "thing", not if anyone still used it
Along those lines though, I have always thought that filling all the voids in Chobham armor with halon or the sort would help with chemical energy rounds if impacted by such.
Rabid Cougar
AG
clarythedrill said:

USA*** said:

As a 30 year tanker, I have never heard of a front line battle tank with that. Any two piece round or one with a casing of nitrocellulose would be unusable after getting wet or even damp from humidity. No modern battle tank has that.

Sherman's had them after 1943.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Want to point out that there were 4 times the number of Army Divisions than Marine Divisions in the Pacific. There were also two Air Forces 7th and 20th there too.
AgRyan04
I just came across this and am fascinated about it, but also by the fact that I didn't know this until tonight.

John Tyler, born in 1790 and became our 10th President....his grandson just died within the last year.
whoop1995
AG
Sorry if mentioned but saw this the other day and it was amazing

The navy built and used concrete ships in wwi and wwii

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/11/01/the-concrete-fleet-of-wwii/

Rabid Cougar
AG
AgRyan04 said:

I just came across this and am fascinated about it, but also by the fact that I didn't know this until tonight.

John Tyler, born in 1790 and became our 10th President....his grandson just died within the last year.
Lyon Tyler was born when President Tyler was 63. His mother was 30 years younger than President Tyler.

Lyon Jr. was born in 1925. His father was 72 years. His mother was 36 years younger that his father.

Old dudes were getting it....

I can relate....
My father in law was 56 year old when my wife was born in 1967. Was on his third wife. Played in the Notre Dame Marching Band when Knute Rockne was coach and was WWII veteran.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.