Mirabeau Lamar the original Hillary Clinton

2,134 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basically won the election as the second president of the RoT because his opponents Peter Grayson and James Collinsworth committed suicide.

Did not seem like a very likeable man, he was appointed commander of Texas troops after Houston but the army refused to serve under him.

Seriously though, life in Texas must have been very hard the suicides of important people seems pretty high for the 1830s and 40s. Anson Jones the last president is another suicide. Some were linked to health issues but it really seems suicide was a big problem back then.
Smeghead4761
Was he the inspiration for the character of Hedley Lamar?
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Basically won the election as the second president of the RoT because his opponents Peter Grayson and James Collinsworth committed suicide.

Did not seem like a very likeable man, he was appointed commander of Texas troops after Houston but the army refused to serve under him.

Seriously though, life in Texas must have been very hard the suicides of important people seems pretty high for the 1830s and 40s. Anson Jones the last president is another suicide. Some were linked to health issues but it really seems suicide was a big problem back then.
Mercury poisoning???? ... if they had syphilis they were treated with mercury..
BQ78
AG
A night with Venus, a life time with Mercury!
Buck Turgidson
BQ78 said:

A night with Venus, a life time with Mercury!
I've never heard that before - that's pretty good.
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Victorian Houston - Suicide City.

"Between 1838 and 1858, no fewer than five of the most prominent politicians in Texas committed suicide. Three of the men shot themselves, another leaped (or possibly fell) off a steamboat in Galveston Bay, and one gutted himself with a Bowie knife. All called Houston home, at least for a time."
aalan94
AG
I know this story well, and am working on a blog post on some of this. It makes for a good story, but there's more to it. Collingsworth probably didn't commit suicide. He drowned by falling off a boat after a week of drunkenness.

Grayson had a history of mental illness and had come to Texas in part to treat it.

The fact of the matter is the Republic just didn't have that many stellar candidates. The constitution banned a president from serving consecutive terms, so it was basically Houston followed by non Houston for the whole Republic.

Quote:

Was he the inspiration for the character of Hedley Lamar?
No, it was the actress Hedy Lamarr.

Quote:

The troops were universally mutinous regardless of who was leading. They dragged Houston to San Jacinto as much as he led them.

Quote:

and one gutted himself with a Bowie knife.
Was he Japanese?
--------------------------------

Ag_B_10
AG
When I was at Blinn, my Texas History prof told us that Lamar skinned Houston's surrogate father ( Indian chief Bowles), broke and wrapped the chief's sword (token of peace treaty between Texans and Indians) in the skin, and then presented it to Houston and told him "this is what we do with your first Indian friends."

Been a long time since I've taken that class, so it might be a bit off. Has anyone else heard of or read about this?
BQ78
AG
I heard it was the guy who shot Bowles that skinned his arm and took his sword as souvenirs. I can't say I've ever heard that Lamar sent them to Houston. But that would better explain the hate and discontent.

The sword is in the Bullock museum, guess the strips of skin are gone.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

When I was at Blinn, my Texas History prof told us that Lamar skinned Houston's surrogate father ( Indian chief Bowles), broke and wrapped the chief's sword (token of peace treaty between Texans and Indians) in the skin, and then presented it to Houston and told him "this is what we do with your first Indian friends."

Been a long time since I've taken that class, so it might be a bit off. Has anyone else heard of or read about this?
I would say Houston would have gutted Lamar if that had really happened. Houston was not above violence if provoked. Ask William Stanbery.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.