Why I love the Belgians...

1,961 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Omega6464
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In September of 2019, I happened to be in the Belgian countryside, relaxing on a Sunday afternoon as a close friend drove back from Bastogne to Brussels.

We had been in Bastogne to visit the Mardasson Memorial to the Battle of the Bulge.

We had decided to divert from the fastest route to drive the old circuit at Spa.

And then we noticed in the countryside, that private homes were flying the Stars and Stripes, alongside the flag of Belgium!

It was the 75th anniversary of the Liberation.

In 2014, the Belgians had celebrated the 70th Anniversary at the Mardasson Memorial with this commemoration:

Texas Aggies Go To War - Belgium (en Francais)

Every Aggie should watch this video and be reminded of America's place in the world.
Hogties
AG
I helped develop the Texas Aggies Go To War project with our Belgian partners.

Here's a full version of that show with English subtitles. It's fantastic. Any Aggie interested in history will enjoy it.

https://vimeo.com/104647708

And yes, the Belgians do remember the sacrifice of the Allies for their freedom.
30wedge
I have visited Ypers, Belgium and found the people there to be so nice. Interacted with a couple of dozen folks when there. There was a huge contingent of Tommies there that day, and the In Flanders Field Museum was supposedly reserved for them on the day we were there. It looked as if our group of 38 plus tour guides were not going to be able to see it. When one of our tour guides told them we had come all the way from America, they let us in. It was late in the day and they stayed open a bit after closing time. Then we attended the Menin Gate Ceremony. I plan to go back once the travel situation normalizes, if it ever does. Really nice people.

Thanks to both of you for posting the videos.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Bastogne 2017. It was amazing and I wish every American could visit there.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Hogties said:

I helped develop the Texas Aggies Go To War project with our Belgian partners.

Here's a full version of that show with English subtitles. It's fantastic. Any Aggie interested in history will enjoy it.

https://vimeo.com/104647708

And yes, the Belgians do remember the sacrifice of the Allies for their freedom.

Awesome! One of my outfit buddies was part of NATO and saw this presentation live. I have the Coffee Cup!

If there ever was a hype video that is played at Kyle Field before a football game this one is it!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Best meal I ever had was in Brussels - about $10 with wine. Steak , cheese, salad

and all the ice cream you could eat. 1956.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Omega6464
It's amazing how many Belgian towns proudly maintain a memorial to the US troops that fought and died liberating them. It always warmed my heart to see the Stars and Stripes so far from home. I was once taken aback when a Belgian thanked me, an American, for her freedom. Both of us weren't even born until long after the war, but, the concept of freedom was not lost on her.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.