Charleston, SC must see - history edition

2,810 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stoneyjr78
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May have a couple of days there in late May. Thinking about a tour of Ft. Sumter..

Anything else I shouldn't miss?

History and airplanes are always high on my list. Food and lodging recs accepted, too.
Smeghead4761
Never been there, but if Battery Wagner (scene of the climactic assault in the movie Glory) is open for tours, that'd make my list.

If you have time to drive up to Columbia, they have the CSS Hunley in a museum there.
Buck Turgidson
Besides Fort Sumter, take a tour of the Battery in a horse draw carriage, go see the Citadel (go see the Friday afternoon parade if you are there on Friday), go see the Yorktown aircraft carrier, check out the Conferderate Museum on Meeting Street. Several old plantations are open for tours outside of town, there should be lots of museums and galleries in the older part of town.
JABQ04
AG
Fort Wagner is gone. Forgot when but eroded back to the sea a long time ago
07ag
AG
THE OLD EXCHANGE & PROVOST DUNGEON

USS Yorktown CV-10
https://ts.la/eric59704
CanyonAg77
AG
Langenator said:

If you have time to drive up to Columbia, they have the CSS Hunley in a museum there.
Google tells me that's in North Charleston????
BQ78
AG
Hunley museum and Ft. Moultrie too. Walk the downtown. There is also a new historic park, ala Williamsburg but not as elaborate near where the first town wall was. Can find the name if you can't find it with the google machine.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm a little light on my South Carolina knowledge. I've only been to Clemson for the A&M game in 2005 and to Spartanburg a couple years ago.

But, specifically Charleston related, I caught this BBQ show on Netflix that profiled this guy called Rodney Scott who specializes in whole hogs.

He operates a restaurant in Charleston so I'd check that out.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81292974

Here's a YouTube on his methods:
HeightsAg
CanyonAg77 said:

Langenator said:

Yes and it is super ghetto. I believe it has one of the highest crime rates in America.
Smeghead4761
CanyonAg77 said:

Langenator said:

Guess they moved it. I was stationed at Fort Jackson from 2003-2005, and it was in Columbia at that time.
Bucketrunner
We missed going last year, but we've always like the Church Street Inn, just steps away from the Market and easy walking distance to restaurants.

Always always take the carriage rides through the historic district. The drivers must have extensive training in the area history, and no two routes are the same. There may be a little overlapping, but even the riders don't know where they are going until they pull up to the starting point. This also avoids a gigantic traffic jam of carriages.

Their museum is a jewel -- with a wide variety of exhibits and a very fair and neutral presentation of the War Between the States.
cavscout96
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Besides Fort Sumter, take a tour of the Battery in a horse draw carriage, go see the Citadel (go see the Friday afternoon parade if you are there on Friday), go see the Yorktown aircraft carrier, check out the Conferderate Museum on Meeting Street. Several old plantations are open for tours outside of town, there should be lots of museums and galleries in the older part of town.
yes to all of these. The Yorktown is a great site.
cavscout96
AG
JABQ04 said:

Fort Wagner is gone. Forgot when but eroded back to the sea a long time ago
Loooooong Gone.
cavscout96
AG
Tons of great food in Charleston too. Skip any chains and google/yelp the local joints. Lots of Gullah - Getchee influence.

Also, You can see the very small remnants of the tabby defenses from the revolutionary defense of Charleston in the square across from the Francis Marion Hotel. Nothing spectacular, but if you are in the vicinity.
CanyonAg77
AG
If I'm limited in time, what would make the Yorktown make the cut as a must see?

We've toured the Lexington in Corpus Christi, as well as the Texas. Is there a lot different?
cavscout96
AG
if you're limited, and you've seen the others, pick another site. The Yorktown was the first CVN I visited as a kid, and then took my kid brother over a decade later. I have seem the Texas, but not the Lexington.

So much other to see that you could skip it if limited. They used to have an old diesel sub there too, but I think it's been moved.
cavscout96
AG
cavscout96 said:

if you're limited, and you've seen the others, pick another site. The Yorktown was the first CVN I visited as a kid, and then took my kid brother over a decade later. I have seem the Texas, but not the Lexington.

So much other to see that you could skip it if limited. They used to have an old diesel sub there too, but I think it's been moved.
looks like it is still there... for a little while....

from wikipedia...

Quote:

According to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Clamagore "is now the only surviving GUPPY type III submarine in the United States. She represents the continued adaptation and use of war-built diesel submarines by the Navy for the first two decades after the war."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Clamagore_(SS-343)#cite_note-scdahsum-15][15][/url] The GUPPY conversion submarines constituted the bulk of the nation's submarine force through the mid-1960s.

On 10 January 2017 the Palm Beach County Commissioners voted unanimously to approve funds for the vessel to be sunk as an artificial reef.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Clamagore_(SS-343)#cite_note-16][16][/url] On 16 April 2019 a group of retired submariners sued the State of South Carolina to save the Clamagore.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Clamagore_(SS-343)#cite_note-17][17][/url] In early 2020, the museum formed a plan to sink Clamagore at the Vermilion Reef site before the 2021 hurricane season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Clamagore_(SS-343)#cite_note-18][18][/url]
BQ78
AG
No, that was the imagined one built in the 50s or something not anything like it.
Restco
Walk the sea wall and visit the ante bellum homes along the walk. You can tour some of them. We toured the Edmonston-Alston house and stood in the spot where Beauregard watched as the southern cannons fire on Sumpter.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Restco said:

Walk the sea wall and visit the ante bellum homes along the walk. You can tour some of them. We toured the Edmonston-Alston house and stood in the spot where Beauregard watched as the southern cannons fire on Sumpter.
The Rainbow Houses

laavispa
Would highly recommend the Hampton Inn Historic District as lodging. This is the site of the original Citadel campus and building is mostly historical. Easy access to Historic District.

Recommend the scrimp and grits at the Swamp Fox. Tickets to Sumter can be challenging- make early reservations.

Hope you and your flying daughter have agreat time.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks, we are going to see My Favorite Pilot, and attend the Carolina Cup Steeplechase with her and her husband, but the Charleston trip extension is just the wife and I. She's stuck with me for 40 years, believe it or not.

Also current (refundable) reservations are for Indigo Inn, if you have a review of it.

Will check out the hotel you mention, as well.
laavispa
Hand to look at Indigo Inn, lovely place and centrally located for sure. Confused on my recommendation- actually the Embassy Suites Historic was my place of choice- it is on Marion Square and is the old Citadel campus.

Enjoy your stay and visit, Charleston is a real gem- could have spent several more days exploring- IF it is open to the public the Hunley restoration project is said to be a great side trip.
stoneyjr78
AG
Charleston is great. I loved that after Hugo, the old buildings with the spike nails held up better than newer construction. If you are that close, don't miss Savannah, GA. It's amazing. Pack clothes with bigger waistlines. The food is wonderful. The gardens on every block are beautiful.
hut-ho78
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.