Best Ancient Empire ?

4,092 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Smeghead4761
Onceaggie2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd say Rome not even up for debate. Spare me China and the far east no one cares about those empires.
AgBQ-00
AG
I would argue the British empire was more impressive. The list of countries that were not controlled or heavily influenced by Britain is very short.

ETA. I completely missed the Ancient qualifier. My bad.
aalan94
AG
Well, it depends. If your going tortoise, it's Rome. If you're going Hare, it's Alexander's.

Rome's empire was 1.7 million square miles. Alex's was 2 million. And he put it together in basically 10 years. His was more audacious and amazing, and indeed had long lasting cultural effects over the whole length of it. The Afghan pokol hats that the mujuhaddin wear are basically Macedonian hats.

But in terms of overall achievements, Rome wins.
cbr
AG
America was pretty good while it lasted.
AgBQ-00
AG
aalan94 said:

Well, it depends. If your going tortoise, it's Rome. If you're going Hare, it's Alexander's.

Rome's empire was 1.7 million square miles. Alex's was 2 million. And he put it together in basically 10 years. His was more audacious and amazing, and indeed had long lasting cultural effects over the whole length of it. The Afghan pokol hats that the mujuhaddin wear are basically Macedonian hats.

But in terms of overall achievements, Rome wins.

I was thinking about Alexander last night. If he would have survived the expansion phase who knows if it becomes established enough to last. But there is a good chance it would have.
74OA
AG
Biggest empire until the Brits. Stretched from the Pacific all the way to Europe: Mongol Empire
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Egyptians had a pretty good run... 3,000 years until the Romans showed up.
Onceaggie2.0
Alexander's empire fell apart after he died not a very good empire .

Just sayin
MGS
I just like to point out that this entire discussion uses letters from the Roman alphabet.
Old RV Ag
AG
MGS said:

I just like to point out that this entire discussion uses letters from the Roman alphabet.
And Arabic numbers
Aggie Infantry
AG
Need to define the era. I would say up to the fall of the Roman Empire would be a good benchmark.

That being said, the Egyptians would be at the top of my list.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
HarleySpoon
AG
Old RV Ag said:

MGS said:

And Arabic numbers
I'd just like to point out that all letters in the Roman alphabet were adapted from cuneiform.
oldord
AG
Old RV Ag said:

MGS said:

And Arabic numbers

I just like to point out that Arabic numbers were actually Phoenician numbers.
Old RV Ag
AG
oldord said:

Old RV Ag said:

MGS said:

And Arabic numbers

I just like to point out that Arabic numbers were actually Phoenician numbers.
Great - it's complete - the Roman alphabet was adopted from another more ancient one and Arabic numbers were also adopted.

Kind of like the English language which is a mutt language blended from many others.
GSPag`
I would say the Byzantine Empire. Created in a ancient times and succeeded for thousands of years after their cousins the Roman's fell.
Illuminaggie
My current fascination is Sumer. The amount of "mundane" accounts of their daily lives gives a wonderfully detailed view of the lives of ordinary citizens and how much of their routines are little different than our own, almost 7,000 years later.
BQ78
AG
So you're saying their necks had a permanent bend and their chins rested on their chest as they checked their text messages?
Illuminaggie
BQ78 said:

So you're saying their necks had a permanent bend and their chins rested on their chest as they checked their text messages?

IIRC, there was actually at least one locale with an edict absolving chariot/cart drivers from any damages if they hit someone who was distracted by scholarly pursuits... i.e. walking around with their noses buried in their tablets.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Illuminaggie said:

My current fascination is Sumer. The amount of "mundane" accounts of their daily lives gives a wonderfully detailed view of the lives of ordinary citizens and how much of their routines are little different than our own, almost 7,000 years later.
I toured Sumer in 2009. Made Ur and Uruk. Most locals were quiet friendly. Some definitely were not.

Ur was extremely cool for a person who walks with his head down around archeological sites. Right next to a major U.S. military base and not far from a major city. ( Al Nasiriya, Iraq) . The Ziggurat and Abraham's house. Mentioned in the book of Genesis.. Ground is covered in millions of pottery shards. As you walk down into excavated tombs and walls there is nothing but layers upon layers of pottery shards 30 feet deep. Ur was a port city during its time yet now it is 160 miles from the sea. There is even a souvenir stand!

Uruk is a bit different. There has not been the archeological restorations that has taken place at Ur and if you didn't know what it was you would think how odd these sand hills are in an area that there is no hills. It is out in the middle of no where. There is a big fence built completely around it with security guards. It was built by the Japanese. What is neat about the desert surrounding Uruk is that there are seas shells everywhere.. NO souvenir stand.

Just a strange feeling when you are standing on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers in that area. I am used to walking around archeological sites 800- 1200 years old. When you are I in Sumer, you are in REALLY old stuff.

I have lots of photos of my tour but no way to share them on here.
Smeghead4761
When measuring the longevity of empires, do you count the Byzantine Empire as an extension of the Roman Empire, or separately?

If you count it as the continuation of the Roman Empire, that gives Rome another 800-900 years (I'm counting the Sack of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade as marking the effective end of the Byzantine Empire.)
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Illuminaggie said:

I toured Sumer in 2009. Made Ur and Uruk. Most locals were quiet friendly. Some definitely were not.

Ur was extremely cool for a person who walks with his head down around archeological sites. Right next to a major U.S. military base and not far from a major city. ( Al Nasiriya, Iraq) . The Ziggurat and Abraham's house. Mentioned in the book of Genesis.. Ground is covered in millions of pottery shards. As you walk down into excavated tombs and walls there is nothing but layers upon layers of pottery shards 30 feet deep. Ur was a port city during its time yet now it is 160 miles from the sea. There is even a souvenir stand!

Uruk is a bit different. There has not been the archeological restorations that has taken place at Ur and if you didn't know what it was you would think how odd these sand hills are in an area that there is no hills. It is out in the middle of no where. There is a big fence built completely around it with security guards. It was built by the Japanese. What is neat about the desert surrounding Uruk is that there are seas shells everywhere.. NO souvenir stand.

Just a strange feeling when you are standing on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers in that area. I am used to walking around archeological sites 800- 1200 years old. When you are I in Sumer, you are in REALLY old stuff.

Ur

Ziggurat at Ur
Rabid Cougar
AG

Uruk
AgBQ-00
AG
Going to Tulum and that area down there is amazing to me because of how old that is. I cannot imagine going to some of these places that are the oldest known places of civilization on Earth.
Rabid Cougar
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Going to Tulum and that area down there is amazing to me because of how old that is. I cannot imagine going to some of these places that are the oldest known places of civilization on Earth.
Tulum is pretty neat too.. Hotter than hell. The fortress itself about 800-900 years old. The tour company there was much better than the one in Sumer.

If you want to see old civilizations and don't want to go to another country, try going to Mesa Verde, Bandelier, and Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, Hovenweep in Utah or Cahokia Mounds in Illinois. They are as old or older than the Mayans/Tulum.
Aust Ag
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Illuminaggie said:

Why was it "built by the Japanese"?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I know you said no China or Far East, but I think it's fascinating that 2000 years ago, the Eastern Hemisphere was basically dominated by three mega empires: Rome (Mediterranean), Persia (Middle East), and China, and only China still (more or less) exists as the territory that it was back then.

Props to Japan for having the same imperial lineage for, what, 2,600 years? How many ancient empires participated in WWII?

But my favorite ancient empire to learn about is still Rome.
Thanks and gig'em
nortex97
AG
The Brits covered over a quarter of the globe briefly. Not really ancient, but still...

Roman and Golden Horde would get my votes though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_empires
BQ78
AG
What the Amerindian groups of Mexico did in the environment they were in and without inventing the wheel is just amazing. Egypt never had to contend with the Nile going dry but the Mexican advanced civilizations did have major droughts. They invented a calendar that is better and more accurate than what we use today. It was a strange culture like the Sumerians but it developed in the tropics where water was at a premium. Until the VAB was built at the Kennedy Space Center they had built the largest structures in the Western Hemisphere and they were not particularly adept at architectural engineering. Is that best? Depends upon how you define it, what could they have done given the advantages of the Egyptians and the Romans (bunch of copy cats). The Amerindians of Mexico did not copy from anyone, they developed their culture in isolation (Spyderman may disagree).
Buck Turgidson
Onceaggie2.0 said:

I'd say Rome not even up for debate. Spare me China and the far east no one cares about those empires.
A billion Chinese people might.
TheCougarHunter
AG
The British empire at one point owned 1/4 of the worlds landmass. Sydney Australia is about as far away from London as anywhere in the world and they were able to administer such a world-encompassing empire before telephones or internet is amazing to me.

Before that it was the Ottoman Turks and the Romans before that.
Smeghead4761
BQ78 said:

What the Amerindian groups of Mexico did in the environment they were in and without inventing the wheel is just amazing. Egypt never had to contend with the Nile going dry but the Mexican advanced civilizations did have major droughts. They invented a calendar that is better and more accurate than what we use today. It was a strange culture like the Sumerians but it developed in the tropics where water was at a premium. Until the VAB was built at the Kennedy Space Center they had built the largest structures in the Western Hemisphere and they were not particularly adept at architectural engineering. Is that best? Depends upon how you define it, what could they have done given the advantages of the Egyptians and the Romans (bunch of copy cats). The Amerindians of Mexico did not copy from anyone, they developed their culture in isolation (Spyderman may disagree).
This reminds me of a bit from the Brit sci-fi comedy Red Dward:

RIMMER: "No, Lister, I mean like the pyramids. How did they move such
massive pieces of stone without the aid of modern technology?"
LISTER: "They had whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips."

Probably the biggest limiting factor on the pre-Columbian civilizations was the lack of animals that could be domesticated as livestock and draft animals. The Americas simply didn't have any animals along the lines of horses, cattle/oxen, water buffalo, or even yaks. Llamas and alpacas are good for wool, but they're pretty limited as pack animals, and can't pull plows or carry riders.

I'm not an anthropologist, but I'll venture a guess that this probably slowed their discovery of the wheel. Possibly slowed things like the development of metallurgy (bronze working) as well. Both of those things had been developed in Eurasia up to 4,000 years previously.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.