From my blog: Travis' Letter and the Ghosts of 1813

1,378 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Travis' Letter and the Ghosts of 1813

Travis' letter, and indeed the entire Alamo stand, on its face is full of bravery and bravado, but many have often wondered to what degree it was bravery or simple bombast. Did Travis really know what was facing him? Did he perhaps think that there was still hope that he could hold out and win? Historians and laymen alike have analyed and debated this. But in trying to understand Travis' stand, a huge bit of context has been universally lacking: Texas had been here before.

Read more at TexHist.com
http://www.texhist.com/2021/02/travis-letter-and-ghosts-of-1813.html
tmaggies
AG
Did you hang around Fayetteville during a particular weekend in early 80's?
p_bubel
aalan94
AG
Not sure what you're talking about, but I go hunting every year between Fayetteville and Frelsburg, and have done so ever since the late 1970s.
aggiese72
AG
Welcome to Fayette County!
tmaggies
AG
aalan94 said:

Not sure what you're talking about, but I go hunting every year between Fayetteville and Frelsburg, and have done so ever since the late 1970s.

Grew up a few acres from where you played poker and knew you and family. Many good memories!
ABATTBQ87
AG
getting back on topic: Any ideas on how Travis was viewed by the men of his command? We know the John Wayne movie depicts Travis in an unfavorable light.

Here is a soldiers' perception of Fannin:
A.J. Ferguson from J. G. Ferguson, Goliad, Texas March 2, 1836
Mr. A. J. Ferguson, Dear Brother---I am now within the walls of this town waiting for the enemy which we are expecting daily for they have already besieged San Antonio, only one hundred miles distant, and report tells us that 200 troops are coming on to attack this place. Our number of men consists of about 400, all of which are volunteers from the States, with the exception of 30 regulars. Our commander is Col. Fannin, and I am sorry to say, the majority of the soldiers do not like him, for what cause I do not know, without it is because they think he has not the interest of the country at heart, or that he wishes to become great without taking the proper steps to attain greatness.
Cen-Tex
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

getting back on topic: Any ideas on how Travis was viewed by the men of his command? We know the John Wayne movie depicts Travis in an unfavorable light.

Mr. A. J. Ferguson, Dear Brother---I am now within the walls of this town waiting for the enemy which we are expecting daily for they have already besieged San Antonio, only one hundred miles distant, and report tells us that 200 troops are coming on to attack this place. Our number of men consists of about 400, all of which are volunteers from the States, with the exception of 30 regulars. Our commander is Col. Fannin, and I am sorry to say, the majority of the soldiers do not like him, for what cause I do not know, without it is because they think he has not the interest of the country at heart, or that he wishes to become great without taking the proper steps to attain greatness.
J.G. Ferguson was part of the Alabama Red Rovers company under the command of Capt. Jack Shackelford. Being a physician, Shackelford was spared and eventually sent to care for wounded Mexicans at the Alamo. Ferguson wasn't so lucky and was massacred on Palm Sunday with over 400 of his comrades at Goliad.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Cen-Tex said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

J.G. Ferguson was part of the Alabama Red Rovers company under the command of Capt. Jack Shackelford. Being a physician, Shackelford was spared and eventually sent to care for wounded Mexicans at the Alamo. Ferguson wasn't so lucky and was massacred on Palm Sunday with over 400 of his comrades at Goliad.
I think we covered that on the thread This day in 1836
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.