Dinosaurs?

2,531 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
Punked Shank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Folsom thread got me thinking...when we're the first discovery of dinosaurs made? What was the reports and opinion?

Finding and excavating bones that massive must've been a wtf moment.
ABATTBQ87
AG
The First Dinosaur Fossil Was Named Before We Had A Word For Dinosaurs

Rabid Cougar
AG
Lewis and Clark were supposed to look for them . Locals had found dinosaur bones in Kentucky in the late 1700's and Jefferson took great interest in them.
Belton Ag
AG
In ancient China, when dinosaur fossils were unearthed they simply assumed they were dragon bones.
Patriot101
There must of been a whole lot of them to make all of this oil that we have on planet earth...joke
Rabid Cougar
AG

On 6 August 1804, Sgt. Patrick Gass found the one fossil known to survive from the expedition today. He did not mention it in his journal (nor did either of the captains in their journals), but the data were recorded by Lewis on a tag that accompanied the specimen to Philadelphia. It accompanied the so-called Fort Mandan shipment, the first batch of specimens to be sent back East from Fort Mandan, in 1805. Gass's discovery was near Soldiers River, which flows in Harrison County, Iowa, in (we know now) strata dated to the Cretaceous Period. The original label indicates that it was collected in a "cavern," but this is more likely to have been an undercut in the stream bank rather than an underground passage.

Lewis and Clark - Fossils
aalan94
AG
Quote:

In ancient China, when dinosaur fossils were unearthed they simply assumed they were dragon bones.
This. The prevalence of myths about dragons across the world suggests a lot more dinosaur bones were found in prehistoric times.
Tibbers
You can simply go to Morisson colorado and see them up close in personal. They are everywhere in the great formations there.
Punked Shank
AG
aalan94 said:

Quote:

This. The prevalence of myths about dragons across the world suggests a lot more dinosaur bones were found in prehistoric times.

For some reason this is fascinating me. I never made the connection that it's likely where dragon mythology originated.

Thanks guys
Patriot101
I'm glad animals are much smaller now.
Madman
AG
Somewhat related

English fishing nets fave been bringing back mastodon or mammoth teeth and giant antlers prior to our understanding of those animals.

Ice age leftovers from when the area between England and France was above water.
Ag_B_10
AG
Patriot101 said:

Yeah but how cool would it be to go hunting and bag a T-Rex?! Lol
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

Patriot101 said:

Yeah but how cool would it be to go hunting and bag a T-Rex?! Lol

Humans actually did hunt mega fauna like mammoths , bison and sloths. Male mammoth stood 14-16 foot tall at the shoulders. I have found one wash out of shoreline at Whitney Lake. Legs bones are huge. Imagination goes nuts thinking bout the possibility of these things roaming through my back yard....
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Tibbers said:

You can simply go to Morisson colorado and see them up close in personal. They are everywhere in the great formations there.

Dinosaur National Monument over in Utah had the Carnegie Quarry also. Definitely worth a trip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.