Spielberg's 8th AF Mini Series

2,749 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ArmyTanker
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No longer with HBO going to Apple TV and based on Donald Miller's Master of the Air, shooting starts in March and first three episodes to be directed Cary Joji ***unaga of True Detective fame. Total of 10 episodes.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/masters-of-the-air-cary-joji-***unaga-director-apple-series-amblin-playtone-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-gary-goetzman-james-bond-no-time-to-die-1234589853/

***= F U K
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I read that book in anticipation of this series. I really hope they can capture everything in that book that made it so vivid. Even with all of my reading on WWII aviation and my life-long fascination with any aircraft that carried bombs and guns during those years, I never really stopped to think about what life inside a B-17/B-24 was really like for those air crews (and this despite my dad, who went to work for Shell Oil and was trained by a man who was a waist gunner on a B-17 and was a hero to young me telling me lots of high-level stories of his time in WWII).

The other thing I fully expect out of this series is a bunch of film snobs yapping about the inevitable CGI that will be needed to produce this series. It's not like Stevie can put up a real squadron of Flying Fortresses with Bf 109 and Fw 190s trying to shoot them down. Models are not as cheap as CGI.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I read that book in anticipation of this series. I really hope they can capture everything in that book that made it so vivid. Even with all of my reading on WWII aviation and my life-long fascination with any aircraft that carried bombs and guns during those years, I never really stopped to think about what life inside a B-17/B-24 was really like for those air crews (and this despite my dad, who went to work for Shell Oil and was trained by a man who was a waist gunner on a B-17 and was a hero to young me telling me lots of high-level stories of his time in WWII).

The other thing I fully expect out of this series is a bunch of film snobs yapping about the inevitable CGI that will be needed to produce this series. It's not like Stevie can put up a real squadron of Flying Fortresses with Bf 109 and Fw 190s trying to shoot them down. Models are not as cheap as CGI.

Currently 40 flyable B-17s in the US but only 9 are airworthy. 13 are currently going through restoration of some sort. There are also 7 more located in other countries.

Spielberg could drop a dime or two to put three more in the air.

There are 20 Flug+Wurk reproduction 190's flying around including one Dora.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Currently 40 flyable B-17s in the US but only 9 are airworthy. 13 are currently going through restoration of some sort. There are also 7 more located in other countries.

Spielberg could drop a dime or two to put three more in the air.

There are 20 Flug+Wurk reproduction 190's flying around including one Dora.
Sure, they could easily use real aircraft for some sequences. I'm really talking more about recreating the actual bomb runs with the flak, all of that kind of thing, that can't be done without VFX.

I didn't know there were FWs in airworthy condition, even if reproductions.
Rabid Cougar
AG

This is a reproduction

This is the only original that is flyable.

Original Flying

Even have these flying around too.

ME 262

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watching the video of the 262, I thought it awesome that for an air show in Berlin, there was a C-54 doing some flying. Given the role that aircraft played in the Berlin Airlift.
gigemhilo
AG
There just aren't many of these airplanes left, and they are difficult to maintain. Parts often have to be fabbed and there just arent many crews around that know these planes.

I wonder how much longer we will still be able to make movies with real planes.

Also, I know where one can find a flying B-25, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, FM-2 Wildcat, TTBF Avenger, and others.... if needed. lol
Stive
AG
I heard that you know a guy.
gigemhilo
AG
Maybe.... depends on if I've told him "you can't do that.." lately..
Punked Shank
AG
I also read the book in anticipation for the show.

I'll have to do Apple TV for when this comes out
74OA
AG
IIRC, the 8th AF alone suffered more KIA during WWII than did the entire Marine Corps.
JABQ04
AG
I believe that is correct.
Hey Nav
AG
Very happy this is finally happening.
CanyonAg77
AG
74OA said:

IIRC, the 8th AF alone suffered more KIA during WWII than did the entire Marine Corps.
I recall it was a higher %, but both could be true.
74OA
AG
Rounded KIA:
8AF--26K
USMC-20K
ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA said:

Rounded KIA:
8AF--26K
USMC-20K
EIGHTH AIR FORCE COMBAT LOSSES

During World War II, one in three airmen survived the air battle over Europe. The losses were extraordinary. The casualties suffered by the Eighth Air Force were about half of the U.S. Army Air Force's casualties
(47,483 out of 115,332), including more than 26,000 dead.
ArmyTanker
The doctrine our strategic bombers could defend themselves was horrible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.