Greatest U.S. Presidents?

4,938 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Raven
Post removed:
by user
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you asking just during their Presidential terms or overall life as a influencer within the country?

I don't think Madison did well as President but his legacy to me is Top 10 overall in American history.
BQ78
AG
Jefferson : DOI, La purchase, political philosophy, ambassador to France.

TR: National Park's, embraced US as world power, trust buster, progressive with Republican ideals
TheCougarHunter
AG
DJT
Ted
Eisenhower
Jefferson
Jackson
Post removed:
by user
Rabid Cougar
AG
TJ - Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark.
James Polk- got Texas to annex the rest of the states.
TR- just because he was TR.
Ronnie- he broke the communist.
DJT- no president has ever had to deal with what he has all the while accomplishing what he has.
Guppy
AG
James K Polk. Most efficient, least corrupt President. First dark horse candidate. Went to war with Mexico to ensure manifest destiny and would have with Great Britain to secure the PNW. Had he not acted when he did the map of the USA would look very different IMO
Smokedraw01
Rabid Cougar said:

TJ - Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark.
James Polk- got Texas to annex the rest of the states.
TR- just because he was TR.
Ronnie- he broke the communist.
DJT- no president has ever had to deal with what he has all the while accomplishing what he has.
The Louisiana Purchase was amazing but it was followed by the equally bad Embargo Act of 1807 which might be one of the worst pieces of legislation ever based in U.S. history.
RGV AG
AG
Jefferson: All the previous mentioned reasons as well as just being Jefferson.
Monroe: Monroe doctrine, started reconciliation with Britain which helped the fledgling US quite a bit. Obtained Florida and set the groundwork for further expansion and geographic self rule in what is currently the US.
Jackson: True American, recognized Texas in a way to keep it viable. Promulgated elimination of corruption and the Tenure Act was something a new nation really needed.
Truman: Dropped the bomb and showed the world who was to be boss. Desegregated military, best thing that could have been done for blacks at the time. Reasonably bent at a time when a bad war could have broke the US. Not to everyone's liking, but handled the shift from wartime economy to peacetime one well in historical hindsight.
Eisenhower: Honest, decent, what America needed in a president at that time. Like Truman kept America out of needless conflict as much as possible.
Patriot101
It's sad that Jackson is demonized in the education system.
Jak981
Monroe
TR
Eisenhower
FDR
Reagan
Slicer97
AG
Jak981 said:

Monroe
TR
Eisenhower
FDR
Reagan

Uh, no on FDR.

He's a large part of how our country got so screwed up. Him and LBJ were two of our worst presidents until Carter and Obama came along.
Post removed:
by user
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thomas J Whitmore: led the greatest counteroffensive in the history of mankind.
Smokedraw01
Patriot101 said:

It's sad that Jackson is demonized in the education system.

How is he demonized?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
He gets the brunt of the blame for the Trail of Tears if I recall correctly...
Smokedraw01
Maximus_Meridius said:

He gets the brunt of that and breaking treaties with the Cherokee and other American Indian groups and then violating their natural rights. I don't think that is necessarily demonizing as much as it is just telling the truth.
Rex Racer
AG
Didn't Eisenhower also do the Interstate Highway System? Another feather in his cap.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Oh I'm not defending him, was just stating what is taught in school about him in response to how he might be demonized.
danieljustin06
AG
It is also very important to note that the Comanches ( I had typed Cherokee when I was starting to nod off for the night, sorry folks) broke the treaties just as often. Also, the Comanches weren't one big tribe either. A name given by the government to describe the bands of natives that spoke the same language. Not defending Jackson here, just that context is important that is left out of history books.
danieljustin06
AG
Empire of the Summer Moon is about the Comanches. And I just realized that when I typed that reply, while starting to nod off, I had meant Comanches and not Cherokee. I apologise for that mistake.
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
Yeah I admit I'm not as up on my Native American history as some others here but I don't think the Comanches and Jackson's presidency had a whole lot of interaction. Jackson was about to leave office just as Texas was gaining it's independence. The dealings he's most known for are the tribes in the southeast (Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek, Seminoles, etc)
Patriot101
Smokedraw01 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

He gets the brunt of that and breaking treaties with the Cherokee and other American Indian groups and then violating their natural rights. I don't think that is necessarily demonizing as much as it is just telling the truth.

Jackson blamed the congress for that. It was their act. They had the purse strings as well.

Not sure why he didn't veto the act of (what was it 1832?) or could. Maybe he didn't want to go against his own party? I have no idea.

But the situation isn't entirely Jackson's fault.

I know Sam Houston was pretty upset with him about the Cherokee issue. Jackson blamed the Congress.

It's just odd. Maybe it's insignificant. I don't know. I'm an amateur for sure at History.
Smokedraw01
Patriot101 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Jackson blamed the congress for that. It was their act. They had the purse strings as well.

Not sure why he didn't veto the act of (what was it 1832?) or could. Maybe he didn't want to go against his own party? I have no idea.

I know Sam Houston was pretty upset with him about the Cherokee issue. Jackson blamed the Congress.

It's just odd. Maybe it's insignificant. I don't know. I'm an amateur for sure at History.
Possibly but Jackson had two opportunities to stop the relocation and did nothing to stop it.

Also, his attitude was essentially "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" the American Indians.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
sonnysixkiller
AG
Jackson
Monroe
Grant
TR
Reagan
Ciboag96
William Henry Harrison

Only served 31 days so he couldn't screw up much

Patriot101
Smokedraw01 said:

Patriot101 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Possibly but Jackson had two opportunities to stop the relocation and did nothing to stop it.

Also, his attitude was essentially "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" the American Indians.

Thank you, brother.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lincoln yet.

1. Washington: If we'd picked the wrong first president, everything goes south in a hurry. Laid a foundation for the nation to grow and established a ton of important precedents.
2. Lincoln: Preserved the union, ended slavery, passed the Morrill-Land Grant Act that eventually gave us Texas A&M!
Thanks and gig'em
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Aggie_Journalist said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lincoln yet.

1. Washington: If we'd picked the wrong first president, everything goes south in a hurry. Laid a foundation for the nation to grow and established a ton of important precedents.
2. Lincoln: Preserved the union, ended slavery, passed the Morrill-Land Grant Act that eventually gave us Texas A&M!

Washington's most impactful decision might have been retiring after two terms. Had he died in office during his third term, I shudder to think what sort of mess that would have left the country in.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
tallgrant
Terrible not to see Lincoln earlier in this list.

"Of all the men I ever met, he seemed to possess more of the elements of greatness, combined with goodness, than any other."
FranchiseCoach
What about Bush Sr.? His handling of the Gulf War was masterful. Under him, the Berlin Wall actually fell.
FranchiseCoach- Helping People Realize their Dreams
Wicked Good Ag
tallgrant said:

Terrible not to see Lincoln earlier in this list.

"Of all the men I ever met, he seemed to possess more of the elements of greatness, combined with goodness, than any other."

Op changed his post but it had Washington and Lincoln already listed.

Couple of questions to continue this thread.

1. if Hamilton Burr duel had different outcome do you think Hamilton would have seemed the Presidency and if so how would he have done ??
2. If Kennedy isn't assassinated he likely wins the 64 election in landslide. How does that alter the framework of the next few elections ??
3. Keeping on assassination does Lincoln go for a third term or do you think he honors the tradition set by Washington and others of only seeking two terms ?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.